The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
May 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #316 of 493
New album by the Polish band Tides From Nebula was released today. Their first album was amazing, although it was damn hard to get my hands on a copy for awhile. Hopefully this one is just as good!

May 10, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #317 of 493
ASIWYFA last night missed out my favourite track 'Eat The City, Eat It Whole' and did not play enough off their new album. But Tony Wright said at the start he was not feeling well, which must be awful when having to produce the goods night after night.

Next up Battles in June.

May 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #318 of 493
Tides from Nebula are great, thanks for the recommendation. I would love to see them touring with Riverside.

May 11, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #319 of 493
May 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #321 of 493
Germany's Tarwater cross over between indie and post rock, this album is more post rock and combines electronica with folk

May 12, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #322 of 493

Quote:
Maybeshewill's new album 'I Was Here for a Moment, Then I Was Gone' is currently available as full stream from Rocksound's website:

http://www.rocksound.tv/news/article/exclusive-maybeshewill-full-album-stream

and can be bought as digital download for £5 (or more, if you think it's worth more), in a host of different formats (mp3 320k, flac, alac, among others, at your choice) from:

http://robotneedshome.bandcamp.com/

Go and listen!

Love the use of piano in all of Maybeshewill's recordings, this album being no exception. Just fun music! Thumbs Up.

May 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #323 of 493
Excellent, anthemic and as you say a happy album

I love Red Paper Lanterns.

May 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #324 of 493
Long Distance Calling's latest album, full of heavy riffs

May 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #328 of 493
Ugh, I'm beginning to realize how narrow this genre is, and it's sad... The way I see it is that there are Mogwai and Mogwai-clones, and then GY!BE. I suppose that I should dabble more on the math-rock side of things than I have been doing

May 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #329 of 493
Any genre of music is inherently self-limiting; that's the nature of setting stylistic boundaries. But there are also bands like Rachel's and Tortoise which get tagged as post-rock but don't sound like either Mogwai or GYBE. (Well, Rachel's and GYBE sound alike to some because of their similar instrumentation but I've always considered them to have easily distinguishable personalities).

There's no point in getting entrenched in a genre just because that's your team identity. Many key post-rock musicians play in bands outside the genre; they don't like getting bored either.

There's tons of good stuff that influenced post-rock (for example, start with Neu! and Faust and fall down the krautrock rabbit hole), and tons of good stuff influenced by post-rock.

In other news, I heard a rumor that GYBE plan to get back to recording. That is certainly something to hope for.

May 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #330 of 493
I see post and math rock to be very influenced by other genres, post rock more so.

There are mellow bands such as 3epkano, The Album Leaf, The Drift, ef, Eluvium, From Monument to Masses, Toe, Manual, The Mercury Programme, Moonlit Sailor, Signal Hill, Unwed Sailor

Folky such as Beast Please Be Still, Tarwater, Balmorreha, Remember Remember, Ritual

Electronica such as 65daysofstatic, BlackMothSuperRainbow, Daedelus, Errors, Four Tet, Hella, Holy ****

Pop/rock such as The American Dollar, Couch, Yippah, Do Make Say Think, Dorena, Parlour, Salvatore

Punk/new wave/indie such as ASIWYFA, Battles, Cougar, Don Caballero, Three Trapped Tigers, Scraps Of Tape, El Ten Eleven, Fridge, Giraffs? Giraffs!, The Redneck Manifesto

Anthemic such as Explosions in The Sky, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, Jakob, Collapse Under The Empire, Laura, Long Distance Calling, Maserati, MONO, Saxon Shore

Metal such as Animals As Leaders, Grails, Turing Machine, Caspian, Maybeshewill

Prog rock/psychedelic such as Cul De Sac, Dntel, Microfilm, Oresund Space Collective

and within each there are crossovers and other influences unique to each band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back