The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Jan 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #211 of 493
Mono has been mentioned in this thread, but I wanted to post this amazing song.  They actually performed this in Montreal while I was living there but I missed the show.  
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #212 of 493
In case you did not know, Mogwai's new album has been leaked. I won't condone finding it or tell you how but its out there :wink:

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #214 of 493

Quote:
In case you did not know, Mogwai's new album has been leaked. I won't condone finding it or tell you how but its out there :wink:

I'm listening to it on youtube right now and I gotta say I definitely see some Tortoise influence in this. I like the album, but I don't see Mogwai going back to their early sound with their future releases anymore.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #215 of 493
Special Moves is on Spotify. Listening to it after the eccentric Microfilm, 'The Bay of Future Passed' which is set to French film clip dialogue

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #216 of 493
I've been watching the math-rock genre for awhile but am ashamed to say don't own a single album of it. (Certainly it would be worthy of my LCD2s.
wink_face.gif
) I wish we could +rep a whole thread; it's a treasure trove of cool tunes. I copy-and-pasted a whole bunch into amazon.ca to look at. I love head-fi's music forum and the passion people have for these narrow genres. Certainly draws me in. Have you been to the high-end forum? (Where the universal lcd2 thread was put for some reason.) Put your flame suit on.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #217 of 493
Straightforward, more mellow post rock by Swedish band Moonlit Sailor

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #218 of 493
Here is another Swedish post rock band and these guys really rock. Dorena are from Gothenburg and sound like a mix between Sigur Ros, El Ten Eleven and Mogwai. The album is called About Everything and More.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #219 of 493

Quote:
Searched the entire thread and only found one post on toe. Probably my favorite post rock band right now, and they do has some slight math rock tendencies. I guarantee that most of you will
absolutely love the drumming. It's a shame they've never come to the U.S. for a show, because I'd drop most things and travel quite a distance to watch them if they did.

Mouse on the Keys is another great post rock/math rock-ish band that deserves to be heard. Very jazz-heavy style with no guitars (mostly piano and insanely good drumming).

Dudeee, are you my doppelganger?

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #220 of 493
Jan 8, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #221 of 493
I'm slowly reading through this thread, but any post rock recommendations on vinyl? I've picked up Godspeed's "Slow Riot...", "F#A#∞", and "Lift..." over the past couple of weeks and am looking into grabbing Explosions in the Sky's "The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place". I've dabbed into Mogwai and other ethereal, but not necessarily post-rock like The Album Leaf, M83, etc. Just curious if there's some good stuff out there to get started with? I've got some Sigur Ros on CD, would love to find them on vinyl. Looking for really good masters here too.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #222 of 493
I would skip most of the Explosions stuff on Vinyl unless you just want it to collect it. It sounds just like the CD, only with more noise. Pelican sounds good on Vinyl, This will Destroy you,  Do Make Say Think, Russian Circles, oh and Mono. Get Mono.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #223 of 493
Tulsa Drone from the USA. They are supporting Mogwai on part of their tour and have a similarly heavy rock vibe mixed with reminders of psychedelic jamming by early Pink Floyd.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #224 of 493
I went into Boston today, saw one Pelican record but it was like $30 so I opted to use that for a couple of other albums. One thing I did pick up was Mono's "You Are There" on vinyl. I've never heard it, nor have I really heard Mono before, but it seems pretty cool. Beautiful art also. Not much Explosions, Mogwai, or Godspeed (my typical post-rock bands). 

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #225 of 493

Quote:
I went into Boston today, saw one Pelican record but it was like $30 so I opted to use that for a couple of other albums. One thing I did pick up was Mono's "You Are There" on vinyl. I've never heard it, nor have I really heard Mono before, but it seems pretty cool. Beautiful art also. Not much Explosions, Mogwai, or Godspeed (my typical post-rock bands). 

If you like it pick this up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back