The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Nov 17, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #196 of 493
Fridge, my favourite British post rock band.

Compared to prog rock, I find there is no regional difference between post rock bands. So USA, UK or Norwegian, it is very difficult to tell.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #197 of 493
Sigur Ros
Parachutes (haven't seen them mentioned here, check them out! Especially the song "Your Stories")
Explosions In The Sky
Ef
Ólafur Arnalds
Immanu El
The Octopus Project
pg.lost
Joy Wants Eternity
Laura
This Will Destroy You

Probably my favorites.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #198 of 493
Classic post rock dark and distorted, by Grails..

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #199 of 493
Saw And So I Watch You From Afar at King Tuts in Glasgow last night. A blistering performance and now in my top 3 concerts ever. It was as exciting as The Who, the sound was superb and the band were brilliant with the crowd. Highly, highly recommended if you are into the power guitar riff side of post rock. At times these guys out metaled any metal band with their guitars.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #200 of 493
Searched the entire thread and only found one post on toe. Probably my favorite post rock band right now, and they do has some slight math rock tendencies. I guarantee that most of you will
absolutely love the drumming. It's a shame they've never come to the U.S. for a show, because I'd drop most things and travel quite a distance to watch them if they did.

Mouse on the Keys is another great post rock/math rock-ish band that deserves to be heard. Very jazz-heavy style with no guitars (mostly piano and insanely good drumming).

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #201 of 493

Quote:
Saw And So I Watch You From Afar at King Tuts in Glasgow last night. A blistering performance and now in my top 3 concerts ever. It was as exciting as The Who, the sound was superb and the band were brilliant with the crowd. Highly, highly recommended if you are into the power guitar riff side of post rock. At times these guys out metaled any metal band with their guitars.

Extremely jealous!

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #204 of 493
Great thread. I've been listening to quite a lot of post-rock over the past year or so, and I still only know maybe 25% of the bands mentioned here.

It started for me with Mogwai, a couple of years ago, and I still love them.
God Is An Astronaut is another one of my favourites.  And I've only seen them mentioned once, but lately I've been really into Maybeshewill.
A name I haven't seen before in this thread is upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start. Listen to the song Sadako's Fury from the album And The Battle Is Won; I can't get enough of it.
Don't think I've seen anyone mention Caspian either. A bit more mellow than the aforementioned bands.

On the heavier side, I adore Isis; especially Oceanic and Panopticon. Russian Circles is excellent, as well.

I'm a bit less into math rock. Is Between the Buried and Me considered as such? Their album Colors is amazing.

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #206 of 493

Quote:
Great thread. I've been listening to quite a lot of post-rock over the past year or so, and I still only know maybe 25% of the bands mentioned here.

It started for me with Mogwai, a couple of years ago, and I still love them.
God Is An Astronaut is another one of my favourites.  And I've only seen them mentioned once, but lately I've been really into Maybeshewill.
A name I haven't seen before in this thread is upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start. Listen to the song Sadako's Fury from the album And The Battle Is Won; I can't get enough of it.
Don't think I've seen anyone mention Caspian either. A bit more mellow than the aforementioned bands.

On the heavier side, I adore Isis; especially Oceanic and Panopticon. Russian Circles is excellent, as well.

I'm a bit less into math rock. Is Between the Buried and Me considered as such? Their album Colors is amazing.

Thanks for the tip on updowncleftcrightcabc+start. Presently enjoying 'and the battle is won'.

My next concerts are a Maybeshewill and Long Distance Calling double bill, then Mogwai.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #207 of 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the tip on updowncleftcrightcabc+start. Presently enjoying 'and the battle is won'.

My next concerts are a Maybeshewill and Long Distance Calling double bill, then Mogwai.

Nice. I'll be going to Mogwai, as well, in March.
Saw Maybeshewill last month. Was a thoroughly enjoyable night. Upcdownc were supporting. Had never even heard of them before, but I was really impressed.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #208 of 493
I will be seeing Mogwai in April! should be amazing.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #209 of 493
Animals As Leaders, outstanding metal guitar playing by Tosin Abasi. Reminds me of Robert Fripp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc

from the superb self titled album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back