The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Sep 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #361 of 493
Japanese band Lite with their math rock album For All The Innocence. This is brilliant.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #362 of 493
Wondering if anyone has come across any new post-metal bands or albums lately? Been craving some new tunes.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #364 of 493
Well at least you tried it. I like the intricacy and quality of the musicianship. There is jazz musicianship and freedom from the standard forums along with a more rock beat. This is a great example of that.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #365 of 493

Quote:
I don't like either of these genres and don't understand why other people do.

*Shrug.*

Postcount+1, level up!

I like it because I like how it sounds, what have you tried out?

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #367 of 493
I had been describing my love of post rock to work collegues who were under the impression it was wierd stuff. When I was able to play some tracks they enjoyed them. One recognised a track and I am sure it has been used as background music for a TV programme.

Words they used to describe post rock included clever and interesting. It is music to really listen to.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #369 of 493
Post rock and math rock bore me. The music meanders without any real direction, and lacks the energy and hooks of other genres.

With math, it isn't interesting the way avant-garde is, but at the same time just a little too clinical and almost soulless in its execution.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #370 of 493
Post rock covers many genres, there are loads of styles and influences. I posted this earlier

"I see post and math rock to be very influenced by other genres, post rock more so.

There are mellow bands such as 3epkano, The Album Leaf, The Drift, ef, Eluvium, From Monument to Masses, Toe, Manual, The Mercury Programme, Moonlit Sailor, Signal Hill, Unwed Sailor

Folky such as Beast Please Be Still, Tarwater, Balmorreha, Remember Remember, Ritual

Electronica such as 65daysofstatic, BlackMothSuperRainbow, Daedelus, Errors, Four Tet, Hella, Holy ****

Pop/rock such as The American Dollar, Couch, Yippah, Do Make Say Think, Dorena, Parlour, Salvatore

Punk/new wave/indie such as ASIWYFA, Battles, Cougar, Don Caballero, Three Trapped Tigers, Scraps Of Tape, El Ten Eleven, Fridge, Giraffs? Giraffs!, The Redneck Manifesto

Anthemic such as Explosions in The Sky, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, Jakob, Collapse Under The Empire, Laura, Long Distance Calling, Maserati, MONO, Saxon Shore

Metal such as Animals As Leaders, Grails, Turing Machine, Caspian, Maybeshewill

Prog rock/psychedelic such as Cul De Sac, Dntel, Microfilm, Oresund Space Collective

and within each there are crossovers and other influences unique to each band".

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #371 of 493
Animals as Leaders is Djent/Prog metal. Does not fall under post rock or math rock.

But yeah for whatever reason Post-Rock and Math Rock just doesn't do it for me. when I'm looking for something new, and interesting, or mellow I usually turn to Avant-Garde, or Doom.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #372 of 493
Subscribed. Originally met post-rock on head-fi(don't recall the thread but it wasn't this one) currently listen to Russian circles and Pelican but im looking at finding more great stuff here. I am listening to a bunch of Tortoise on youtube and loving it, Im pretty slow with adding new music to my library though.(like one album a month slow)

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #374 of 493
Nov 5, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #375 of 493

Quote:
Post rock and math rock bore me. The music meanders without any real direction, and lacks the energy and hooks of other genres.
With math, it isn't interesting the way avant-garde is, but at the same time just a little too clinical and almost soulless in its execution.

While i do agree that the slower and lighter post-rock can be a bit boring or slow (still respect all of those bands, just my taste), post rock is still my favorite genre if it is tilted toward the heavier "post-metal" spectrum. Bands like Pelican, And So I Watch You From Afar, Maybeshewill, If These Trees Could Talk and Irepress are all bands that never get boring or stale to my ears. I just wish that there we more bands out there that quenched my thirst for new music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back