The positive side of being ignored
Aug 23, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #16 of 32
My question to you would be why do you care so much about what other people think? Be yourself. That in the end is all that matters and let the rest fall into place. 

That is a good question. My mind is very active and I am sometimes interested in people's opinions. For example I love to travel and sometimes, I like to know why some people love or hate some popular cities. I am sometimes interested in the dynamics of life. You are right, in the end just let it flow and over thinking can be a bad thing. I don't over think when it comes to people. I do tend to over think when it comes to analyzing music and the arts though.

However, if you are a prominent figure in society like a well respected Doctor, teacher, minister or boss, you do have to care about other people's opinions to a certain extent. Many of these prominent people do get recognition in society but that also comes with social responsibility to a certain extent.

I'm not saying this is bad. In a Woody Allen interview, he said the attention of being a celebrity is a good thing overall. And he said that the positives out weight the negatives.

But to balance things out, I do believe there is also a positive side to being ignored. That can also exist too in my opinion.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #17 of 32
Joining a forum isnt that trying to get attention? Isnt it a way to make friends or connect to people hence an easier way to connect to other humans? A easier way to control the relationship?

Much respect to you sir.the very first time we spoke i dissed your music-you turned everything around in a polite way and took up some black metal recommendations.i wasnt looking to befriend you lol-maybe testing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #18 of 32
Much respect to you sir.the very first time we spoke i dissed your music-you turned everything around in a polite way and took up some black metal recommendations.i wasnt looking to befriend you lol-maybe testing:veryevil:
Well I dont see it as my music. Maybe the artist might feel badly that you dislike what they created. Everybody has their likes and dislikes and thats a good thing.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #19 of 32
  On that note, I'd rather have a handful of close friends than hundreds of fake "friends"...and I'm speaking from experience.

agreed-i follow your posts as i find you interesting and i like your black metal tastes.i am a people watcher and boy can you antagonize-i find it amusing-

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #20 of 32
Well I dont see it as my music. Maybe the artist might feel badly that you dislike what they created. Everybody has their likes and dislikes and thats a good thing.

i think its essential to start at the beginning of any genre-seek out the roots -i will listen to anything as long as it grabs me-half of my day is noise-bm/death/thrash-second half is very ambient stuff

i am a member of numerous forums and chat boxes and you find a very eclectic mix here-some great posters who like all genres

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #21 of 32

Is that Romney?

1-it is human nature to want to be noticed

Depends on the situation. When I want to be noticed it's when what Im saying is more along the lines of "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!! Somebody call 911! Is there a doctor in here?!" All other times everybody's going with "look at me!!!" colorways but I'm asking, "does it come...in grey?"

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #22 of 32
So should I put you on my ignore list Spareribs :)

That is if I ever had one.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 32
  agreed-i follow your posts as i find you interesting and i like your black metal tastes.i am a people watcher and boy can you antagonize-i find it amusing-

What can I say? I'm brutally honest, I guess.
evil_smiley.gif

(I don't actually mean to come off as antagonizing, though.)

Is that Romney?

Yes. It was the most amusing image I could find related to your quote.

So should I put you on my ignore list Spareribs :)

That is if I ever had one.

lol. Know what sucks? When you come across an intriguing post by a member and decide to PM them for more details...but then realize that, for some odd reason, they've blocked you, so the PM doesn't go through to them; it only goes through to yourself...and if you reply to them on the thread with the original post, they won't see it or be notified of it either.
ph34r.gif

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 32
That is a good question. My mind is very active and I am sometimes interested in people's opinions. For example I love to travel and sometimes, I like to know why some people love or hate some popular cities. I am sometimes interested in the dynamics of life. You are right, in the end just let it flow and over thinking can be a bad thing. I don't over think when it comes to people. I do tend to over think when it comes to analyzing music and the arts though.

However, if you are a prominent figure in society like a well respected Doctor, teacher, minister or boss, you do have to care about other people's opinions to a certain extent. Many of these prominent people do get recognition in society but that also comes with social responsibility to a certain extent.

I'm not saying this is bad. In a Woody Allen interview, he said the attention of being a celebrity is a good thing overall. And he said that the positives out weight the negatives.

But to balance things out, I do believe there is also a positive side to being ignored. That can also exist too in my opinion.

I think in the end we all care to some extent how other people view or judge us. It is ultimately human nature. No one wants to be labeled negatively in the eyes of others, to the point of isolation, despair and consequently social exile. I can see how certain professions you mentioned would create more social expectations that could potentially cause distress in certain people. Being ignored though implies that other people don't pay attention to you for a given reason. It means they are aware of your presence but choose to ignore you for one reason or another. This to me is something I would not desire. I am not exactly sure if you mean ignored or just not being that noticeable to others. I think there is a big difference between both. But I can see your point, living in the shadows so to speak, has its advantages and perks, though as with most things in life, also some troublesome aspects. There for sure are some interesting concepts to discuss and philosophize about. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 32
I think in the end we all care to some extent how other people view or judge us. It is ultimately human nature. No one wants to be labeled negatively in the eyes of others, to the point of isolation, despair and consequently social exile. I can see how certain professions you mentioned would create more social expectations that could potentially cause distress in certain people. Being ignored though implies that other people don't pay attention to you for a given reason. It means they are aware of your presence but choose to ignore you for one reason or another. This to me is something I would not desire. I am not exactly sure if you mean ignored or just not being that noticeable to others. I think there is a big difference between both. But I can see your point, living in the shadows so to speak, has its advantages and perks, though as with most things in life, also some troublesome aspects. There for sure are some interesting concepts to discuss and philosophize about. 
"living in the shadows" Pretty much describes living through the internet.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #27 of 32

That's a good point, since ignore means "refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally."

I think this thread is more about being unknown than being ignored.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 32
That's a good point, since ignore means "refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally."

I think this thread is more about being unknown than being ignored.
If not known then no chance of being ignored.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #30 of 32
"living in the shadows" Pretty much describes living through the internet.

I guess you could say it describes the modern generation. If you think about how paradoxical it is that the internet gives us access and exposes us to people we would never otherwise have the opportunity to be in contact with, yet we are less in touch (physically) with other people. I mean that is pretty scary. You can spend hours on the internet each day and not be in direct contact with another human, yet your mind formulates the illusion of a person based on what they write. Totally different to reality. I am sure if you chat with certain members here on this site for many years and then finally meet them, you will most likely be surprised at the difference to what you had envisioned in your mind based on your contact via the internet. It will be a completely different person. Obviously technology has the ability to bring us closer but it also has its apparent drawbacks. I am not sure we even know the full extent of those yet. I personally prefer a phone conversation over texting for example. There is less lost in translation so to speak. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back