The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #1,666 of 1,969
Well, I changed the battery and it worked. I pulled the tabs off the old battery with the protection circuit and I soldered those to the new battery. Voila, working battery. Drained the new battery and recharged it. Everything seems good. I'm running it out now to see what kind of life I'm getting out of the new battery time-wise, just to make sure that I didn't adversely affect it by heat with the solder. Probably not though, as I prepped the battery and made sure that I used the most minimal amount of time to solder (you know, like 3 seconds). Simple. Just make sure that you don't harm that PCB with the 3 wires, because I don't know where to find that if you damage that. Anyone know that bit of information, that would be helpful.
Unless Pono built a special one if you order a protected 18650 it will come with one already soldered to the battery.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,667 of 1,969
Well, I changed the battery and it worked. I pulled the tabs off the old battery with the protection circuit and I soldered those to the new battery. Voila, working battery. Drained the new battery and recharged it. Everything seems good. I'm running it out now to see what kind of life I'm getting out of the new battery time-wise, just to make sure that I didn't adversely affect it by heat with the solder. Probably not though, as I prepped the battery and made sure that I used the most minimal amount of time to solder (you know, like 3 seconds). Simple. Just make sure that you don't harm that PCB with the 3 wires, because I don't know where to find that if you damage that. Anyone know that bit of information, that would be helpful.
My question now is that there are 18650 batteries that are 3.7 volt that have way more Mah than the one Pono provided (2800). The one I put in was 3000mah. There are some that are 6000mah. I noticed that even though the front screen when charging (that big plug thing) turned solidly green, when I booted the Pono, the green line on the charging indicator while playing had a small block of grey (which usually indicates a not completely fully charged battery). I'm wondering if the PCB is programmed only for the 2800mah capacity. I should have bought the 6000mah just to see if that were the case because I won't readily be able to tell with the 3000mah because it is so close to 2800mah.
Great news silverfishla! Could you possibly post link where you ordered battery from? Your battery success will help many Pono Player owners rest easy.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,668 of 1,969
Unless Pono built a special one if you order a protected 18650 it will come with one already soldered to the battery.
I have not seen an 18650 battery with this type of protection unit on it. Can you link me to one? I have seen some that have a two-wire lead connected to it, but not a three (that the Pono has). I'm not even sure what the third wire is for. Sorry, no battery expert here. :wink:

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,669 of 1,969
I have not seen an 18650 battery with this type of protection unit on it. Can you link me to one? I have seen some that have a two-wire lead connected to it, but not a three (that the Pono has). I'm not even sure what the third wire is for. Sorry, no battery expert here. :wink:
You won't get the wires but the circuit board should be the same. So you would still have to desolder the wires/connector and solder it on to the new one.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,670 of 1,969
Great news silverfishla! Could you possibly post link where you ordered battery from? Your battery success will help many Pono Player owners rest easy.
I bought this one here. Not because it was the cheapest, but because it was local to me and I knew I would get it fast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
These batteries are everywhere though, through ebay or aliexpress. Sure you can get them cheaper, but hey I was trying to get this thing done for you guys! :)

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,671 of 1,969
You won't get the wires but the circuit board should be the same. So you would still have to desolder the wires/connector and solder it on to the new one.
Okay, so I see that a protected battery will have a PCB connected to it...I just can't be sure about the connection to the three wires. One is positive and one is negative...and the third white wire seems to be connected alongside the positive terminal on the PCB.
From reading on the internet about the PCB board connected to a battery (I'm new to this battery stuff mind you) it seems that the PCB is probably programmed to each specific battery capacity? Because it's purpose is to provide protection from overcharging, is why I guess that. These are questions that I am not sure of at all. Just bringing that up in case someone is thinking about connecting a higher capacity battery to the old PCB. Maybe I'll order a higher capacity battery (protected) and see if I can connect it to a 3 plug lead like on the Pono. I'll have to source the tiny plug from an electronics store though.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #1,672 of 1,969
Okay, so I see that a protected battery will have a PCB connected to it...I just can't be sure about the connection to the three wires. One is positive and one is negative...and the third white wire seems to be connected alongside the positive terminal on the PCB.
From reading on the internet about the PCB board connected to a battery (I'm new to this battery stuff mind you) it seems that the PCB is probably programmed to each specific battery capacity? Because it's purpose is to provide protection from overcharging, is why I guess that. These are questions that I am not sure of at all. Just bringing that up in case someone is thinking about connecting a higher capacity battery to the old PCB. Maybe I'll order a higher capacity battery (protected) and see if I can connect it to a 3 plug lead like on the Pono. I'll have to source the tiny plug from an electronics store though.
Also measure your battery because these batteries are not standard length. There can be up to 3 or 4 millimeters difference between brands.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,674 of 1,969

I have to recommend NOT doing any of this. The battery needs to matched to the charging circuit configuration. If it isn't then it may all work fine until there is a problem. Then you may have a fire in your pocket. For instance the third wire is to make sure you do not charge the battery if it is too hot or too cold, to avoid damaging the chemistry. If the value of that NTC is not correct for the charger you may charge the unit when it is not safe.

Also on size: cylindrical cells are less critical, but they swell when they are low on charge or on temperature. It they do not have room to swell and you charge them: Note 7...

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,675 of 1,969
It's a shame the Pono was constructed to be so disposable and redundant so quickly. I keep hearing the Neil Young song 'piece of crap' in my head.. I really like the voicing of the unit and the fact Ayre put in those 'mojo' type electronics, but crap, the battery and internal storage are already flaking on us and the units aren't even three years old...

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,676 of 1,969
It's a shame the Pono was constructed to be so disposable and redundant so quickly. I keep hearing the Neil Young song 'piece of crap' in my head.. I really like the voicing of the unit and the fact Ayre put in those 'mojo' type electronics, but ****, the battery and internal storage are already flaking on us and the units aren't even three years old...

Pono was built to be short-lived. I have three of them. One broke, and two function well.

Above all else, the Pono is a true bargain in balanced mode (power is quadrupled according to Charlie Hansen -the real Pono creator-). I can listen to the following headphones to satisfaction mode in balanced mode: Focal Elear; Sennheiser hd650, Oppo PM-1. I just did the Inca Trail with the Elears and loved the experience.

And sure, the user interface and general functionality is not that good, but beats the hell out of a record player for functionality.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #1,677 of 1,969
The Pono Player wasn't made to be dispoasble and redundant. Batteries have a definite life. It is easy to replace the battery with the same one that shipped in the unit to begin with. The memory problem is due to a bad batch of Samsung chips. A shame, but nothing Pono set out to do.

The Pono is still one of the best sounding units on the market. Just like the day it was introduced.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,678 of 1,969
The Pono Player wasn't made to be dispoasble and redundant. Batteries have a definite life. It is easy to replace the battery with the same one that shipped in the unit to begin with. The memory problem is due to a bad batch of Samsung chips. A shame, but nothing Pono set out to do.

The Pono is still one of the best sounding units on the market. Just like the day it was introduced.

One of my Pono Players broke (software not working) and customer service is very slow.

Pono Players will last if you sit on a desk. I use it in a mobile basis, including trekking.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,679 of 1,969
Hello all, I'm thinking of picking up the Pono player at Fry's Electronics soon and pairing it up with the Audioquest Nightowls Carbons. I am planning to go balanced. I have a few questions before I make the purchase. If you can answer these I appreciate it. Early thank you.

1. Is there any report of sound difference from members and owners between the older manufactured ones and the newest ones? and also a few posts suggested there is a sopund difference between a transparent case and the regular case?

2. Is there much difference between single mode and balanced mode? I would have to order a Balanced cable for the NightOwls from Audioquest which is priced at $140.00. Please recommend or not?

3.How long is battery life and can I plug into a small PC speakers and have it playing? I thought there was a line out but I would like to make sure.

Happy listening everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,680 of 1,969
@HeadphoneGuy101 Is Fry's still selling them?

Sorry, can't help you in terms of changes from older to newer production units. To my knowledge they haven't changed. Ayre 'proper' make ongoing updates to their current products, but since the life of the Pono Player has been a bit short-lived, I doubt they've bothered to come up with any design tweaks.

Yes, balanced is quite a bit better. All of Hansen and co.'s designs tend to sound considerably better when going all balanced. I personally very much recommend it. Single-ended sounds pretty great too though.

There's absolutely a line out, as well as the ability to power two headphones at once, one single ended pair of 'phones, and one balanced pair of phones (those are the four modes available). Chance are, battery life isn't exactly going to impress you. And on that note, some find the interface to be clunky, and the transfer speeds leave a lot to be desired. However, for the price, it's a damn fine portable/home player. Very much underrated (in spite of the–on the other hand–overblown marketing from Pono in general). I've used mine pretty much every day since I received it in late 2014, and other than having to force it to reboot maybe a half dozen times, it's worked flawlessly for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back