The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,231 of 1,969
Did you know that you can get all the currently playing track's details (tags, codec, sample rate etc) by double-tapping the art? 

I found it once by accident, then couldn't remember how I got there.  Took a while ; ).

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #1,232 of 1,969
  Did you know that you can get all the currently playing track's details (tags, codec, sample rate etc) by double-tapping the art? 

I found it once by accident, then couldn't remember how I got there.  Took a while ; ).

Yeah definitely. That is far more convenient than say, the Fiio X3ii or XDUOO X3. This is just a wonderful player. I am glad you gave balanced a shot, because for me, getting a balanced SurfCable for my HD650s opened up a whole new world. The X3ii sounds almost sterile compared to the Pono; it gathers dust in my drawer.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,233 of 1,969

Yeah definitely. That is far more convenient than say, the Fiio X3ii or XDUOO X3. This is just a wonderful player. I am glad you gave balanced a shot, because for me, getting a balanced SurfCable for my HD650s opened up a whole new world. The X3ii sounds almost sterile compared to the Pono; it gathers dust in my drawer.

Yeah I love it now.  Since balancing I don't hear the player anymore, only the music.  I only remember about the yellow thing when I interact with it.  That's the best compliment I could give it.  I even like how it slightly warms up during playback, literally a nice touch.

I think they underpowered single-ended as the short battery life is already a hard sell for some, other players get eg. 30 hours right?  I saw a comment by Charlie Hanson of Ayre that implied that was an issue.  Me I don't care, Ayre's circuit obviously needs juice to shine.  But I'm sure many that criticize the player have not heard it balanced, and that caused some of the backlash.  It's no surprise that all the 'phones in their early Listening Parties (https://vimeo.com/103357727) seemed to be balanced (stumbled on this video).

BTW, can you queue a track up to play next?  Seems you can only add it to a playlist.  The firmware mentions it but I don't know if they have implemented it yet?

Only downsides now are the screen (but I can live with it) and that the yellow material gets dark marks from friction.  Already happened to mine - actually almost like the way it looks (kinda organic) but the yellow is too bright for me, so I just ordered a black player.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,234 of 1,969
  Yeah I love it now.  Since balancing I don't hear the player anymore, only the music.  I only remember about the yellow thing when I interact with it.  That's the best compliment I could give it.  I even like how it slightly warms up during playback, literally a nice touch.

I think they underpowered single-ended as the short battery life is already a hard sell for some, other players get eg. 30 hours right?  I saw a comment by Charlie Hanson of Ayre that implied that was an issue.  Me I don't care, Ayre's circuit obviously needs juice to shine.  But I'm sure many that criticize the player have not heard it balanced, and that caused some of the backlash.  It's no surprise that all the 'phones in their early Listening Parties (https://vimeo.com/103357727) seemed to be balanced (stumbled on this video).

BTW, can you queue a track up to play next?  Seems you can only add it to a playlist.  The firmware mentions it but I don't know if they have implemented it yet?

Only downsides now are the screen (but I can live with it) and that the yellow material gets dark marks from friction.  Already happened to mine - actually almost like the way it looks (kinda organic) but the yellow is too bright for me, so I just ordered a black player.

Yep...Pono's battery life is a bit disappointing indeed...but the same goes for my DX90 and P1
redface.gif

Btw, did you notice there's a LE (Dave Matthews) PP in the for sale section for only $260
eek.gif

Although I still love my PP [RHCP LE], I'm planning on selling it one of these days lately. Probably with my XBA-Z5 and MDR-Z7 at the same time, as I mainly bought these because they came with stock ''Pono style'' balanced cables...

...but no way I'm letting it go at such a crazy low price
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,235 of 1,969

Yep...Pono's battery life is a bit disappointing indeed...but the same goes for my DX90 and P1
redface.gif

Btw, did you notice there's a LE (Dave Matthews) PP in the for sale section for only $260
eek.gif

Although I still love my PP [RHCP LE], I'm planning on selling it one of these days lately. Probably with my XBA-Z5 and MDR-Z7 at the same time, as I mainly bought these because they came with stock ''Pono style'' balanced cables...

...but no way I'm letting it go at such a crazy low price
biggrin.gif

Mine aren't special edition, but I got really good Ebay deals on them.  The specials aren't actually metal right, but metalised plastic?  And apparently scratches easily.  Looks nice though.

I was half-tempted to replace the surface on mine with something funky.  Still might on the black one.

BTW any ideas on queueing a track to play next?  Only functionality I'm missing so far.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #1,236 of 1,969
Originally Posted by _gl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The specials aren't actually metal right, but metalised plastic?  And apparently scratches easily.  Looks nice though.

BTW any ideas on queueing a track to play next?  Only functionality I'm missing so far.

Hmmm, I thought the LE's were chrome or aluminum...
Surely has some kind off metallic feel over it and I can hardly find any scratches on mine
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, can't help you out on the ''queueing track'' thing...listening in ''shuffle all songs'' mode most of the time...

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,237 of 1,969
Also either listen to albums, or in shuffle mode. I'd recommend the black...I drag it around all the time, don't see any marks or signs of wear (though it is not as iconic as the yellow). I do use it like out into my LC or ZOTL often, but I have a balanced adaptor for the HE-1000, and it performs pretty well (better with the external amps, though). I've gone to meets and just used Pono/ZOTL/HEK, and people were quite taken with the sound.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,238 of 1,969
Strange, I've hacked the firmware a bit and it does mention 'Play Next' dialogs, maybe they haven't finished it yet.

Also can you change the Artist tab album list ordering?  I prefer listing by release year.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,239 of 1,969
I'd recommend the black...I drag it around all the time, don't see any marks or signs of wear (though it is not as iconic as the yellow).

Great.  Putting a custom surface on one should be pretty easy as it's such a simple shape,.  The only tricky part is the button cutouts, but you could leave a rectangle of the original material around them and then resurface the rest.  I like doing stuff like this so I might try it, especially when/if it gets more beaten up.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,240 of 1,969
I'm eagerly awaiting "Play Next" or "Add to Now Playing"

and also

"Go to album" from list view and playing now view.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,241 of 1,969
My relentless pursuit of portable audio perfection has, at times, had me relating to Don Quixote. That is, up until now. I have paired the PMx2s with a FULLY BURNED-IN PonoPlayer and I can say my quixotic journey is over. I have arrived at portable audio nirvana. Nothing, for any amount of money, comes close. Liquid, airy, fast... and all for $1,800! In your pocket! Walking around! And, sure, $1,800 isn't cheap by any measure... but I am not paying anything close to the over-the-top Louis Vuitton prices for competitive cans and DAPs, which would be on the order of $7,000!!! Thank you Charlie Hansen! Thank you Alex Zaets! 

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,242 of 1,969
  My relentless pursuit of portable audio perfection has, at times, had me relating to Don Quixote. That is, up until now. I have paired the PMx2s with a FULLY BURNED-IN PonoPlayer and I can say my quixotic journey is over. I have arrived at portable audio nirvana. Nothing, for any amount of money, comes close. Liquid, airy, fast... and all for $1,800! In your pocket! Walking around! And, sure, $1,800 isn't cheap by any measure... but I am not paying anything close to the over-the-top Louis Vuitton prices for competitive cans and DAPs, which would be on the order of $7,000!!! Thank you Charlie Hansen! Thank you Alex Zaets! 

I'm not familiar with the PMx2; are you runnning singled ended or balanced?

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,244 of 1,969

I'm jealous! The PMx2 is one of my wishlist headphones.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #1,245 of 1,969
I'm looking for portable amplifier recommendations that pair well with the Pono. It needs to have enough juice to drive my Sennheiser HD600s. I don't want to sacrifice the balanced mode, is there any amp that can connect to the Pono to keep it in balanced mode? My budget is in the ballpark of $150, but I'm willing to explore the options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back