The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,007 of 1,969
So, does Apple abandoning the analog mini-jack help or hurt ponoplayer?

I think it probably helps.  

No way Apple alone will kill a 130-year old connector.  When they leave the miniplug it will become a feature again - actual analog output.

The pono's analog output is about as good as they make, so I think that minijack could be very popular, especially in a few years when iPhones don't have any analog output.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,008 of 1,969
I'm thinking the same thing.  I've moved almost all my music listening to Pono, and especially since I've replaced my standard cable with a balanced cable the iPhone isn't in the mix any more.  I still use it for podcasts, but the Pono becomes more and more important to me.
One of the things I've done is to buy an external battery pack.  I ordered the one wire cutter.com recommended.  That takes care of my biggest problem that the Pono's battery isn't big enough.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,011 of 1,969
Agreed, you can use it into a balanced preamp in a whole system, shouldn't be different for a car unit, but I don't think there are many (if any) balanced car units out there. The line out should be fine (I have a balanced preamp, but never bothered to get the balanced cable for line out to preamp, just use the regular line out if I connect to the preamp).

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #1,012 of 1,969
Agreed, you can use it into a balanced preamp in a whole system, shouldn't be different for a car unit, but I don't think there are many (if any) balanced car units out there. The line out should be fine (I have a balanced preamp, but never bothered to get the balanced cable for line out to preamp, just use the regular line out if I connect to the preamp).

you know what's really crazy? my one car doesn't have a line in so i'm forced to use a tape cassette adapter and even through that tape hiss the pono sounds better than the cd player or any iPhone running through the tape adapter.

it's a testament to the power of source in the chain - even after the degradation of the dirty tape head i still hear more accuracy b/c of the pure source. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #1,013 of 1,969
That's very cool!. Wish I could get it to work in my car...also an older car, also no line in, also has a cassette player, but the cassette adapters I've tried just didn't work :frowning2:

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,015 of 1,969
  I bought some Nighthawks last week, so I ordered a balanced cable to use with the Pono.

I've always heard that the Pono player sounds even better running in balanced mode, so can't wait to try it out.

For higher impedance cans its a must. I've tried mine with the HD650 and the HD600 balanced and unbalanced...no good unbalanced, sublime balanced.

For my lower impedance stuff, Its not the end of the world running single ended.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,016 of 1,969
Can anyone tell me how a pair of Sennheiser 545s will work with a Pono Player? I bought them used, in great shape, specifically for the reason that Surf Cables makes a compatible headphone cable to use in balanced mode. Is the amp in the Pono Player enough to drive the 545s?

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,017 of 1,969
I would think so...I use it to drive my HE-1000, and, while a dedicated amp is better, it is up to the job.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,019 of 1,969
With the HE-1000 I've only used it balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back