The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #931 of 1,969
Quick question:

Do any of you Pono owners know how the Pono treats flac files with multiple ARTIST tags?

The Vorbis Tag documentation (which is also used for flac) mentions that the preferred way of tagging a track with multiple artists is to put them each on it as separate ARTIST tag (since Vorbis tags don't have to be unique). However, in my experience, not every player implements this correctly...e.g., VLC only recognizes the first artist tag.

So, if I had a flac file with, e.g.,

ARTIST=Count Basie
ARTIST=Duke Ellington

Would the Ponoplayer index the file under both the Count and the Duke, or would it fail to recognize one of the tags (or do something else weird)?

Sorry for the really techie question...just haven't been able to find documentation on this!

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #932 of 1,969
Quick question:

Do any of you Pono owners know how the Pono treats flac files with multiple ARTIST tags?

The Vorbis Tag documentation (which is also used for flac) mentions that the preferred way of tagging a track with multiple artists is to put them each on it as separate ARTIST tag (since Vorbis tags don't have to be unique). However, in my experience, not every player implements this correctly...e.g., VLC only recognizes the first artist tag.

So, if I had a flac file with, e.g.,

ARTIST=Count Basie
ARTIST=Duke Ellington

Would the Ponoplayer index the file under both the Count and the Duke, or would it fail to recognize one of the tags (or do something else weird)?

Sorry for the really techie question...just haven't been able to find documentation on this!

What Pono will do in this situation (considering you had 12 different artists on one album). It will scatter each artist individually throughout your artist list from A/Z (in their alphabetical order) as single tracks. I spent a good 20 minutes searching with my Pono plugged in trying tags like AlbumArtist, Compilation etc and could not get it to work or combine them personally. In the end I found a solution I used a few times.

What you can do to get around this (and what others are doing) is simply change the artist tag to one (single) artist name or change the artist tag completely to the album name which will put all the songs into one album again.

You won't see the individual artists name any longer but the tracks won't be spilt.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #933 of 1,969
I change compilation albums with multiple artist's names to Artist: VA and  then use Album to find it.  Though there will also be an album called VA or Various Artists.  Otherwise there are names all over the place.

However, last night I took his question to mean several artists listed ON THE SAME TRACK.  In that case I think it would list them under those multiple names (not each individual name).  So you would have a listing of Duke Ellington Count Basie.  I may have misunderstood his question, but open re-reading it this morning I think that's what he meant.

Title: Groovin
Album: Big Time
Artist: Duke Ellington Count Basie

Would it show up under EACH name or just the one long double name?  I think the latter.  Using punctuation between the names might affect placement as well.  Maybe retag something and see?  My Pono is at school and school is closed all week or I'd do it.  

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #934 of 1,969
Too much for me to process mate, I'm going to bed. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #936 of 1,969
So sorry for confusion! Yes, I did mean multiple artists in the same track...I'll clarify when I get home.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #937 of 1,969
If you have a Pono, simply tag the Artists area with two names and see what happens after a scan.  If you do not have a Pono, I guess you will have to hope someone here will experiment for you and post the results.  

I must say I've never even thought about have more than one name listed under Artist.  I CAN say that when I put in Bob Dylan And The Band, or Neil Young And Crazy Horse Pono treats them as a single name, and places them separately next to Bob Dylan and Neil Young.  

Without the "and," I can't say.  

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #938 of 1,969
Thanks for the help! Yeah, it was a bit of a technical question -- most GUI players won't even let you assign multiple artist tags! (I'm using command-line metaflac on Linux for tagging, and it's easy to forget how different it is from the way most people do things.)

Probably picking up a Pono in the next few days. Tagging will be a bit of an adventure...trying to organize a mostly classical collection by both composer & director...:p

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #939 of 1,969
Seems like the Pono Player completely ignores the "Album Artist" tag unfortunately.

It's already hard enough to scroll through a collection on that touchy tiny screen, having all of my compilation albums listed by their individual artist isn't helping any. Anyone know where to submit bugs and/or suggestions to the firmware team?

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #940 of 1,969
  Seems like the Pono Player completely ignores the "Album Artist" tag unfortunately. It's already hard enough to scroll through a collection on that touchy tiny screen, having all of my compilation albums listed by their individual artist isn't helping any. Anyone know where to submit bugs and/or suggestions to the firmware team?

Yeah same for me, it's really annoying. I hope they fix this in future firmware, but they probably won't unless people ask for it, so I'll report it if you do :p

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #941 of 1,969
loving it after almost 2 years. pono player gets better with age.  i haven't missed streaming much at all.  

these days i only use streaming for background music or randomness of music i don't own.

but college radio and podcasts + shazam is a far better way to learn new music that streaming. 

the streaming algorithm will never impress. it can't jump genre's. it can't sway and play emotional content in context. it can't work the audience.

it's algorithm vs human yet again, and i side with human.

call me human.

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #942 of 1,969
loving it after almost 2 years. pono player gets better with age.  i haven't missed streaming much at all.  

these days i only use streaming for background music or randomness of music i don't own.

but college radio and podcasts + shazam is a far better way to learn new music that streaming. 

the streaming algorithm will never impress. it can't jump genre's. it can't sway and play emotional content in context. it can't work the audience.

it's algorithm vs human yet again, and i side with human.

call me human.

"F'n' eh man! F'n' eh!" (in The Dude's/Lebowski's voice). I second all that completely (except that it's only been out for a year).

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #943 of 1,969
"F'n' eh man! F'n' eh!" (in The Dude's/Lebowski's voice). I second all that completely (except that it's only been out for a year).

haha yeah 1 year, i got mine in december 2014. got a little ahead of myself...

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #944 of 1,969

haha yeah 1 year, i got mine in december 2014. got a little ahead of myself...

I build mine in august 2012, showed it to NY when I met him in some bar. He seemed to like it
tongue.gif

Oh wait...this could have happened in one of my dreams when I forgot to take my medications
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #945 of 1,969
Got my Pono yesterday -- it's a great little DAP so far!

Incidentally if anyone's curious...the answer to my question earlier is that, on a track with two artist tags, the Pono will take the second one and ignore the first. Still trying to figure out a good tagging system for a classical collection...I do wish they'd implement sorting by composer tag...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back