The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #61 of 1,969
Yes, I am waiting for my Neil Young solo LE player. I pledged in the first day. The NY LE sold out in hours, IIRC. I actually know somebody who pledged after I did and received their NY (with a number in the high 400's) a couple of weeks ago. I've even seen it in person. A Pono staff member said two weeks ago that 157 NY LE players had been shipped or delivered, and the remainder would be shipped in 7 to 10 days (which came and went).

If anybody is exaggerating, it's Pono. I guess I've just seen way too many posts on several web sites with the same Pono talking point about being only a few weeks late on making their deadline. They haven't finished the job yet, so we can't say how many weeks they missed by.

But I really do resent the implication that I'm just being impatient. A more accurate statement would be that a lot of people are extremely frustrated with the miscommunication and lack of communication on what amounts to at least several million dollars worth of product. Insulting those people will only turn the frustration into anger, and I don't think that would be good for Pono or any other start-up company that places themselves in the same boat.

I think it's just the chance you take to be first with a product that's not been in the market. It is a slight risk, as it is the company at slight risk to give delivery dates. Reality is a strange thing at times. I used to drive a car around that was so new no one had a clue what it was. It was fun but a little dangerious at times.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #62 of 1,969
  But I really do resent the implication that I'm just being impatient. A more accurate statement would be that a lot of people are extremely frustrated with the miscommunication and lack of communication on what amounts to at least several million dollars worth of product. Insulting those people will only turn the frustration into anger, and I don't think that would be good for Pono or any other start-up company that places themselves in the same boat.

It's Kickstarter.  You didn't buy a consumer product, you financially supported a seed of an idea from an upstart company that has every intention of turning it into a mass market player.
That company rewarded your show of early faith with beta access to their ecosystem and limited edition version of their eventual, yet to be released, consumer product.

I don't begrudge you for feeling uneasy, unsettled, or just plain pissed with the entire process, but, if you're the type who feels impatient with the idea of uncertainty, you don't go on Kickstarter, you buy something off the shelf at Best Buy.

I can understand being frustrated with their lack of communication, but they have at least developed a tool by which you can track the production of your player, and they've openly admitted that they are currently in the process of building out their customer service infrastructure.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #63 of 1,969
  I just received my yellow Pono player yesterday.
The first impression is: good sound, expecially the flac files I ripped from cd.
I don't think the Neil Young track from the "Harvest" album, included in the Pono, sounds particularly good.
I am not that happy with touch screen and UI, coming from iPhone and iPod experience, the Pono UI is barely usable.
I didn't use any software to download music, I just inserted a uSD that I use with my Sansa Clip+. I don't think I will never use any software to download music, one of the reason I backed Pono is to get rid of iTunes.
I am happy with Pono sound and the device is nice, it's light and even if the form factor can seem odd, I like it, it's not extremely portable but it' s good.
In my opinion they have to improve the UI

I would be interested to hear how you think it compares to the Clip+, which seems to be regarded as a decent audiophile baseline.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #64 of 1,969

I would be interested to hear how you think it compares to the Clip+, which seems to be regarded as a decent audiophile baseline.

I have in mind to make a deep compare between the Clip+ and the Pono. I just bought the Clip+ while waiting for the Pono, before my devices were iPod and iPhone. I have been listening Clip+ for months and it's my favourite dap, very little, good sound and can play flac files. I prefere flac files I don't even like anymore MP3s even if they are at 320. It's really good that I can just move the uSD from Clip+ to Pono without any problem. I like a lot the Pono sound, my sensation based on a little listening time is the the Pono has a much wider sound stage and that really impressed me, all the instruments are well separated and the Pono has more power.
In the next days I will do a better comparison with Clip+ using the same IEM and listening the same tracks and I will post my results

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #65 of 1,969
For those of you waiting for your players: you should have received Kickstarter update #51, which offers some clarification.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #66 of 1,969
Just got my Ponoplayer. Big issue is moving files onto it for me. My beta Ponoplayer World does not see my computer's attached SD drive with my High res files on it. Sounds good, maybe equal to my DX100. It is not as solid though.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #67 of 1,969
Just got my Ponoplayer. Big issue is moving files onto it for me. My beta Ponoplayer World does not see my computer's attached SD drive with my High res files on it. Sounds good, maybe equal to my DX100. It is not as solid though.

update the firmware and the Pono World software.  It will then see the SD card.  Until then, use file explorer in windows and Finder in Mac.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #68 of 1,969
update the firmware and the Pono World software.  It will then see the SD card.  Until then, use file explorer in windows and Finder in Mac.

would love to but Ponoplayer World apparently does not recognize my Ponoplayer. I am logged in to the Ponoplayer site using PW.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #69 of 1,969

would love to but Ponoplayer World apparently does not recognize my Ponoplayer. I am logged in to the Ponoplayer site using PW.

what have you tried to fix it?  Did you unplug the player and plug it back in with the software running?  That's just the first thing I would try.  You can also try restarting the Ponoworld software with the player plugged in.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #70 of 1,969

Did you watch the tutorial videos for proper operating instructions?  Did you press "Yes" on the player when it asked if you want to go into music transfer mode, and then not press "Done" until you are ready to disconnect the player?

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #71 of 1,969
By the way, to anyone who might be interested, Pono drives my Alpha Prime headphones just fine and sounds fantastic.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #72 of 1,969

Did you watch the tutorial videos for proper operating instructions?  Did you press "Yes" on the player when it asked if you want to go into music transfer mode, and then not press "Done" until you are ready to disconnect the player?

Right, that's what I see as well.  The device (and microSD card) will not mount until you press Yes.  
But then once you see it in Explorer (or Finder) then you can directly drag and drop your music folders.  

I'm using the updated PMW desktop software, which is better behaved than the initial release, but is still in Beta.
And as the bugs get worked out, I intend to keep my files in FLAC rather than converting to ALAC each time.  
And of course, I'll then use the PMW software to mange and load playlists.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #73 of 1,969

[..] the Pono has a much wider sound stage and that really impressed me, all the instruments are well separated and the Pono has more power. [..]

That is a good summary of my experience as well. Great soundstage, good separation without making the music analytical and drives every headphone with a steady "breath".

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #74 of 1,969
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know when the Pono Music store will open for business? Also, are the FLAC recordings priced the same as HDtracks ... $17.98 for 24/96 and $24.98 for 24/192?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back