The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #211 of 1,969

Hover over the equalizer symbol on the upper right above the main window.  Select DSP Studio.  Make sure all the settings in the chart in the dialogue (especially 192) say "No Change."

Oooh.  Making note of this for future reference!  I only have a 24/96 DAC currently, but I'm positive I'd
have the same puzzlement if I don't clip and save...

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #212 of 1,969
Just make sure the DSP Studio is not enabled (check box is empty) and there will be no processing done.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #213 of 1,969
Pono Player sounds amazing. No complaints. Better than expected. 

I have compared it back and forth a few times with all the traditional playback methods (don't have a Fiio or new Sony to compare to) but it's the best digital I've ever heard. It's like portable vinyl, which makes it better because finally, we can take music like this with us. The soundstage is huge and detailed and everything sounds pretty perfect. 16/44 is better than I thought, but 24bit really opens up and sounds like being in the studio. 

I wrote a million words in a long-form review here:  
http://wp.me/P2MP5A-10Z

and I did a Pepsi challenge with Youtube-FLAC (the cloud) late last night here: 
http://wp.me/p2MP5A-13N

Don't sleep on this, it could be a game changer. To get this hi-fi mobile for under $500 with the push to properly remaster everything at 24/192, Neil is the pied piper of saving music right now.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #214 of 1,969
  Pono Player sounds amazing. No complaints. Better than expected. 

I have compared it back and forth a few times with all the traditional playback methods (don't have a Fiio or new Sony to compare to) but it's the best digital I've ever heard. It's like portable vinyl, which makes it better because finally, we can take music like this with us. The soundstage is huge and detailed and everything sounds pretty perfect. 16/44 is better than I thought, but 24bit really opens up and sounds like being in the studio. 

I wrote a million words in a long-form review here:  
http://wp.me/P2MP5A-10Z

and I did a Pepsi challenge with Youtube-FLAC (the cloud) late last night here: 
http://wp.me/p2MP5A-13N

Don't sleep on this, it could be a game changer. To get this hi-fi mobile for under $500 with the push to properly remaster everything at 24/192, Neil is the pied piper of saving music right now.

Hey FF,
Welcome to head-fi. Nice first post.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #215 of 1,969
it's gonna take all of us to get HD digital into the mainstream. the stupid tv has had, what, 4 major upgrades since 1980, but consumer music has had 2 downgrades. 

every one can listen to and understand properly recorded and distributed music, not just this group or that. too much name calling. all sorts of people love music and devices like ponoplayer and accurate headphones or speakers show the world the true power of music, one listener at a time.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #216 of 1,969
one last introductory though, i think people lose focus on the signal chain, and understanding how it works. as long as you have good source, good DAC, good amp, then you are good. people need to turn off the screens sometimes and let their ears guide them. headphone decibels get it, but there's something about headphones that are so private that they miss the point of music sometimes. not always.

i commend fiio and pono for exploring this new ground of specialized computer devices that attempt to deliver a single thing at the highest quality to the user. good stuff.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #217 of 1,969
I'm not optimistic about people going for high definition, given the trends since the 80's, but,, who knows, maybe someone line Neil Young can pull it off. Everyone, including my kids, is happy to hear tunes through the iPhone speaker, compressed, and THEY KNOW WHAT GOOD SOUND CAN SOUND LIKE. Not sure why video is perceived differently, maybe it's the portable aspect, people mostly use music as a take-along commodity. I know people around here take their listening seriously, but that has dropped off since when I was getting into music considerably. Video still, for the most part, is done sitting down, paying attention (not background while multitasking), so I guess people are more attuned to the quality of what they consume. But it isn't subtle, you don't need "golden ears" to hear what good sound is. Just some exposure, which is why someone with the name recognition of Neil Young may be able to pull off what John Atkinson (sure many don't know that name) or Harry Pierson (?) couldn't.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #218 of 1,969

Yep I totally agree. I am listening to an mp3 right now, they are just everywhere, whether it's the streaming or the convenience. But my eyes have been opened by 24bit audio played on a Pono Player - by far the best digital I've ever heard. 24bit on my computer is not that impressive because it's signal chain is a joke.

You can't worry about the masses, you have to please the ones that change things. DJ's, musicians, trendsetters, producers, modern portable hi-fi heads, and the old school hi-fi folks. Just by having better audio and sharing it with people it makes it spread. Once you hear it you understand the difference and you understand this is low-fi, this is hi-fi.

It's an uphill battle I guess, but with Pono about to sign a deal with Harmann you might see Ponoplayers in the dashboard of Fords and other car brands in the next 5 years. That would go along way to impressing people.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #219 of 1,969
Can't find anything about output impedance, power out, voltage levels, etc. 

Anybody know?  Just found this thread and it seems interesting and would like to know if it will be a good match for my incoming K10's.

Also, can it be used as a DAC/Amp?  Would be nice to use it with my laptop for movies.

Thanks

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #220 of 1,969
  Can't find anything about output impedance, power out, voltage levels, etc. 

Anybody know?  Just found this thread and it seems interesting and would like to know if it will be a good match for my incoming K10's.

Also, can it be used as a DAC/Amp?  Would be nice to use it with my laptop for movies.

Thanks

Haven't see anything on the electronic specifications of the player.  I can say it hasn't been at all noisy (no hiss or hum) with my Etymotic hf-5s.  I have not felt the need for a separate amp ( I have several) when using it with my full sized headphones.  But I've never had any experience with the K10.  

It won't work as a standalone DAC, however.  Only works as a player.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #221 of 1,969
I believe impedance is 5.  There's mention of it somewhere, with a comment from the Pono engineers about why that is not a problem with iems.  You'd need a headphone of 40+ to be within the parameters.  My iems are 11 and 22.  They sound fine.  

Is anyone listening to it with balanced iems?  Curious about any improvement in sound using them (not full-sized cans).

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #222 of 1,969
i don't know about impedance, mine's been hard the whole time!         [rimshot]

http://mikebeauchamp.com/2014/12/pono-player-teardown/

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #223 of 1,969

My Pono experience has improved significantly, in every way, since my initial post (#9 in this thread.) Here's an update.

1) The sound is really good. I am not a big believer in "burn-in", especially for solid-state components, but I'm finding the Pono is more clearly a step up in sound quality from my iPhone now. I am happy to explain that in terms of me "getting used to it" and coming to hear the nuances, rather than the device itself somehow changing.

2) I can live with the software now. There are still quirks, and things that aren't so elegant, but with only slightly more hassle than iTunes, I can get music on and off it pretty reliably. The SD card appears on my desktop (Mac), and I configured a smart library to transfer over the files I want onto the unit's main memory. 

3) I still don't see the Pono business model working in the long run. If the objective really is hi-res for the masses, they've got to compete on price with iTunes - same price, better quality, and then *maybe* the kids will start to tune in. Don't the artists want us to listen to them their music the way they intended it? So, why the price wall? Maybe Neil, for all his clout in the industry, just isn't Steve, and the labels are having their way with their customers, as usual. Alternatively, if the Pono store's only ambition is to stay stuck in the nice audiophile market, please provide us with information on provenance! What do I get when I pay twice as much as iTunes for Foo Fighters album? Is it the same mastering as the iTunes version, just at higher resolution? Or, is it actually mastered differently?

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #224 of 1,969
Just ordered a black one.  Should get here around same time as my k10's..  The waiting..

After I play with it for a while I'll get a balanced cable..

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #225 of 1,969
  i don't know about impedance, mine's been hard the whole time!         [rimshot]

http://mikebeauchamp.com/2014/12/pono-player-teardown/

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back