The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #196 of 1,969
Y'know, I've been searching the store from WITHIN the player (JRIVER/PONO), maybe it just works better in a browser...

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #197 of 1,969
Comes a Time and Tonight's the Night seem like the next ones for me (Tonight's the Night really can rip you apart, though).
The Pono Workingman's Dead just came on, really nice.....

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #198 of 1,969
have to say, the 2 drummers are really easy to separate on this version, they always just blended into a big percussion background most of the times I've heard it. Have to hear what the Allman Brothers double percussion team sound like, one of these days.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #199 of 1,969
I got the Dead's own website's 24bits and they are all magnificent.  American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are gorgeous.  I don't know if the one you got is the same, or if it a different version.  Hard to tell what exactly is being done on the Pono site- I assume the companies are furnishing the product to Pono.  So they get whatever they get (with, obviously, some built-in quality control for their site).  But extant versions or new versions, no idea (of 24bit already out there).  The NY stuff, of course it's new.  

I hear what you say about the two drummers. The clarity with the Pono and the source is really incredible in separation and placement.  As I said before, I could hear clearly the drum folded into the guitar on the left on Friend Of The Devil.  

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #200 of 1,969
Yeah, sometimes it's 2 drums, sometimes it's drums with percussion, but it is amazing to hear that detail. Of course, I have no idea how the files compare, I'd assume they must be the same digital master, would seem more trouble to take a lower resolution source and convert it than to give the original version of the 24 bit that the Dead crew have. The Dead crew are also fussy about their product, I believe, don't think they want to be holding on to the best files but releasing "bad" versions of hi rez material that people will buy and hear as inferior. Anyway, happy with the sound on mine, but I may have to visit the Dead site for any other downloads, check them out. (it's just so easy to be in Ponoplayer, download files, have them in the player...learned a lesson from the Apple Evil Empire!)

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #201 of 1,969
Hmmmm

http://www.airshowmastering.com/how-airshow-remastered-the-grateful-dead-studio-albums/

http://www.dead.net/features/complete-studio-albums-collection/grateful-dead-complete-studio-albums-collection-available

That sounds like an answer. At least for the Dead's stuff.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #202 of 1,969
My office firewall is very whimsical, allows me to go to the "how airshow..." site, not to the Dead site (it used to block Head-Fi for the longest time, past 2 weeks seems to have been taken off the restricted list for whatever reason. Probably not a good thing for my office productivity :D )
Anyway, the article talks about the HDTracks versions,which I assume are the same as the Dead site, no? I have American Beauty from HDTracks, indeed a wonderful release, Workingman's Dead just got from Pono out of curiosity. Also sounds great (though I don't have another download to compare it with...should pull out the LP, but such a pain to compare as I noted before, rather just listen and enjoy).

Thanks for the links, olddude.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #204 of 1,969
Still deciding whether to upgrade my ibasso dx50 to pono (anybody able to compare the two?), but in the meantime am using the Ponomusicworld player to play back hi res files I have on my PC. I am playing via a MusicalFidelity V DAC11 and I noticed that any 192hz 24 bit files are "resampled" down to 96 by the music player. Does this mean that my DAC cant handle 192 files, or is it the Pono player itself? And currently does this mean there is no point in me buying 192hz files(which cost more) if I cannot play them back at 192?

Thanks in advance

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #205 of 1,969
I think JRiver (which is what Pono player really is) can handle these files, I'd guess it is the dac.
As far as players, as I previously mentioned, don't have the DX50, do have DX90... Really nice dap, but Pono sounds better IMO.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #206 of 1,969
I had a DX50 with a JDS C5 amp and replaced it with a Fiio X5 without an amp.  Big upgrade.  I got a Pono as a gift for Xmas and haven't used my X5 since.  Does that answer your question?

To my knowledge the Pono will play up to 192.  If I read your post clearly, the app on your PC is playing back at 96.  I would assume that that is a limitation of your sound card or your preference settings.  The Pono would not have that limitation.  IMHO the Pono would be a giant upgrade over your DX50.

PS 16/44 will sound better on the Pono than on the DX50.  The hi-res stuff sounds wonderful. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #207 of 1,969
Cheers for the reply, might consider the PONO when it eventually hits the UK.

As for my DAC, I noticed this bit of blurb "it's a 24bit/192kHz asynchronous USB design, offering a significant sonic step up for computer music lovers", so I am a bit confused as it seems like both the player and my DAC should be able to handle 192hz files.

Anybody else like to chip in?

edit, posted this before I saw your reply olddude

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #208 of 1,969
  Cheers for the reply, might consider the PONO when it eventually hits the UK.

As for my DAC, I noticed this bit of blurb "it's a 24bit/192kHz asynchronous USB design, offering a significant sonic step up for computer music lovers", so I am a bit confused as it seems like both the player and my DAC should be able to handle 192hz files.

Anybody else like to chip in?

edit, posted this before I saw your reply olddude

Hover over the equalizer symbol on the upper right above the main window.  Select DSP Studio.  Make sure all the settings in the chart in the dialogue (especially 192) say "No Change."

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #209 of 1,969

Hover over the equalizer symbol on the upper right above the main window.  Select DSP Studio.  Make sure all the settings in the chart in the dialogue (especially 192) say "No Change."

You're an absolute star MisterMoJo- that did indeed do the trick. Just played back Wilco's album A Ghost Is Born which previously had been been "resampling" down to 96, now plays at 192. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #210 of 1,969
  You're an absolute star MisterMoJo- that did indeed do the trick. Just played back Wilco's album A Ghost Is Born which previously had been been "resampling" down to 96, now plays at 192. 

Excellent!  Glad to help.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back