The Plasma & LCD TV Thread: Post Pics of Yours? Ask Questions?
Oct 20, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #91 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in short, my point was that it's not that expensive to buy well performing 1080p/24p set nowadays. If 42" is enough then you can have great screen for about 1200-1500 euros. For Blu Ray player, I'd probably go for PS3 or then buy a blu ray drive for my PC.

I own a Panasonic 42PX70 42" HDReady plasma screen. I have no need for FullHD with as small screen as 42". My viewing distance is about 2.8 - 3.0 meters. What I love about plasma screen is great black levels, contrast and its ability to play fast movements (something in which LCD-screens aren't as good, even nowadays) without judder or other problems.

I'll stay clear of the plasma vs lcd debate, there are upsides on downside to both in all areas (and can evoke strong emotions). Anyway my knowledge is quite limited to projectors, in Aus you're still paying $2500 for a good 720p projector, and a lot more for a 1080p projector little lone a good 1080p projector. As for the PS3, I was under the impression that it didn't output 1080p/24. If it does, it would needless to say be the best non computer based blu ray player out there for the money. Hope there where no hard fellings caused.
normal_smile .gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #92 of 206
PS3 does output 1080p/24.

I use my PS3 with 50" Pioneer 8th gen. Although not 'full HD' but picture quality looks freakin awesome when you watch something like Ironman or Pirates Bluray. And yes, it is indeed the best value BD player out there. Well at least it was a few months ago, now that there are cheap Bluray players coming soon, I'm not so sure anymore.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #93 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS3 does output 1080p/24.

I use my PS3 with 50" Pioneer 8th gen. Although not 'full HD' but picture quality looks freakin awesome when you watch something like Ironman or Pirates Bluray. And yes, it is indeed the best value BD player out there. Well at least it was a few months ago, now that there are cheap Bluray players coming soon, I'm not so sure anymore.

No doubt the picture quality is stunning, I was merly trying to make the point of the huge increase in diminishing returns between 720p and 1080i/p, and how screen size and distance from screen may nullify the need for anything greater then 720p (in my opinion when you go below that at all 'normal' viewing distances there is a significant difference. I probably should have started a new thread talking about projectors (as that's what I use, as well, i'm more of a fan in the cinema 'feel' they give (or at least they do for me). Thinking about it I may start a thread for projectors, or one for the discussion of the theory behind what drives videophiles.
smily_headphones1.gif
As for the ps3 1080p/24, that is impressive and i'm glad to hear (you learn something every day
smily_headphones1.gif
).

For great demo material I suggest checking out the mission impossible 3 blu ray or hddvd if you want to see how great you're display can look. I've yet to see and dvd/bluray/hddvd or anything else that comes close to how good it looks. Another film way up there is Kiss kiss bang bang.To trully test out you're systems greyscalin capabilities (or what is incorrectly often reffered to as contrast) the best in my opinion would have to be Alien vs Predator: Requiem.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #94 of 206
I have a Panasonic TH46PZ80U. I'm not really a videophile, but it is a great plasma TV as far as I'm concerned. Got a Panasonic DVD player to use with it for now, but will probably get a PS3 down the line in order to give BluRay a try. I've got to say though that DVD's upsampled through the TV to 1080p look lovely. No cable TV at the moment, but I get 10 hi-def digital channels thanks to my proximity to the CD Tower. I'm going to try to improve on the antenna setup I have to hopefully get additional stations from Buffalo. I've setup my Wii to output 420p widescreen using an aftermarket component cable to a component->HDMI converter and from there into a HDMI switchbox. I run the DVD player and my computer into the switchbox as well and output from there to the TV. All my audio goes into a Behringer DEQ2496 and is output to a DIY charlize amplifier which powers my Polk Audio RTi4 speakers. Pretty good midfi setup to my ears. No pics unfortunately as my camera is broken.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #95 of 206
Hello,

I need some help please guys...

I have a logitech z5500 5.1 speakers,auzentech x-fi sound card for my pc. Im happy with the sound from them for now.
I have plans to buy a 40' or so 1080p lcd or plasma for blu ray within a couple weeks.

I cant afford to buy an entire entertainment system so up above is what im working with.

I am concerned about the sound quality of the ps3. I would like hi def sound. I am wondering if i should buy a stand alone player but i cant afford to add other equipment other than a blu ray player.

I am wondering if instead of going with a stand alone blu ray player or a ps3 if i should go with a pc set up would it be a better blu ray player?

And last can i pass the audio only thru my pc speakers from say a ps3 or stand alone?

THANK YOU

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #96 of 206
I have been looking at the BDP-S550 from sony vs the ps3. I am wondering if the ps3 compares to the sound quality of the sony or if the ps3 will have hd dolby etc come later. I would prefer to have the ps3 for its computer abilities but im used to crystal clear sound so the sound is important to me somewhat.

If somehow i could send the sound through my sound cards optical connection on my pc i know i would be happy with the sound.
I am planning on using my logitechs z5500 for the audio for my tv temporarily . Is that possible?

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #97 of 206
I have been looking at the BDP-S550 from sony vs the ps3. I am wondering if the ps3 compares to the sound quality of the sony or if the ps3 will have hd dolby etc come later. I would prefer to have the ps3 for its computer abilities but im used to crystal clear sound so the sound is important to me somewhat.

If somehow i could send the sound through my sound cards optical connection on my pc i know i would be happy with the sound.
I am planning on using my logitechs z5500 for the audio for my tv temporarily . Is that possible?

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #98 of 206
Do i need 1.3 hdmi for the best picure and audio?
Are all hdmi cables made equal?

I guess i can use hdmi from my tv to the sony or the ps3 but ill have to use optical out to my speakers till i can get a reciever and stuff.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #99 of 206
I got my HDMI cable from dealextreme (search google for it) for $10, it's a great cable and I cannot see the difference between it and cables that cost well over $100. If you're using the Logitech z-5500 I would just stick with optical, I honestly doubt you could hear the difference between optical and HDMI (especially with these speakers [which is what I use and they are absolutly brilliant, but there no way hi fi if you understand what I am saying]). I'd just get a hdmi for ps3 to you're tv, and then send optical to you're logitech speakers (and set them up properly as it makes a big difference).
smily_headphones1.gif

As for crystal clear sound, you will not achieve them with the z5500, but trust me when I say once you get the big screen there, put the volume up a bit, you will barely notice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #100 of 206
Hi Man,

Thx for the reply.. I switched from a creative x-fi to the auzentech x-fi prelude with the LM4562's op amp and it made a huge difference in sound on the logitech z5500. I can crank it up and it sounds crystal clear. I love it and the dolby digital works really good too. They aren't audiophile by any means but they sound really good and i'm amazed at how clear they are... truly amazed the difference the x-fi prelude has made.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #101 of 206
How could i send the optical to my sound card and then to my speakers? Is that possible?

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #102 of 206
I've always been a big fan of plasmas. The weird viewing angle in our living room made the plasmas a shoe-in.
Panasonic Viera 42" 1080p (Can't remember the 42pz80omgwtfbbq... code name)
n52501774_30495906_6588.jpg

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #103 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always been a big fan of plasmas. The weird viewing angle in our living room made the plasmas a shoe-in.
Panasonic Viera 42" 1080p (Can't remember the 42pz80omgwtfbbq... code name)

I love Panasonic plasmas, too, but my next TV will be Sony KDL-52W4500 or Sony KDL-52Z4500.

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #104 of 206
hmmm just tumbled upon this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

We bought a Samsung LN52a750 a couple months ago. Hung it on the wall, and I ran the cables, between the little table under it that the components sit on, through the wall. It's cool cause there is just a giant screen on the wall and somehow the signal gets there
wink.gif
I also ran the surround speaker wires and sub signal up the wall then through the attic. The sub is behind a chair on the other side of the room (best seat in the house).

I don't have a BluRay yet, but our Sony DVD changer upconverts to 1080p. I'm planning to build an HTPC with a blu-ray someday. For now the upconverted movies look pretty damn good. Besides, this way I get another "upgrade" later
biggrin.gif

Everything was swell until we bought a Wii (for the Wii Fit) a couple weekends ago. Now I have wires showing again ;(

I know DJ wants pictures, so I'll take some this weekend.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #105 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know DJ wants pictures, so I'll take some this weekend.

Hayduke, do you by any chance have a picture of your new TV showing cactus?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back