The Plasma & LCD TV Thread: Post Pics of Yours? Ask Questions?
Jul 8, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #76 of 206
My wife and I couldn't decide between a 50" or a 60". From colored "butcher's paper" we cut out a rectangle the size of each and taped them to the wall for a week. We both decided to go with the 50." The home theater retailer said the 60" would work but recommended the 50." (although they said something about the distance ratio thing is not as critical with the newest generation of plasma televisions...) I took my wife into the showroom. We watched each television for 20-30 minutes. She said, "I don't care, if you want the bigger one, I think that it'll work." I got the 60". I'm so happy that I got the larger screen. I really like it, and my wife really likes it. I do think that if I had gotten the 50" I would have always wondered what the 60" would have been like. Plus, it came with detachable side speakers that I'm not using because I have it connected to an external audio system.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #77 of 206
You probably made a good decision going 50" because the price difference for that extra 10" is so huge.
Even if I say I could afford 60", I don't think I could justify spending that much for that extra size.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #78 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably made a good decision going 50" because the price difference for that extra 10" is so huge.
Even if I say I could afford 60", I don't think I could justify spending that much for that extra size.

I didn't go with the 50". The price difference was a consideration of course, but I justified it and the extra 10"'s really seems to make a positive difference with regard to the home theater experience. I'm glad that I went for the 60". My brother had a similar experience with his Sony. He was going to go with a 46" Bravia XBR5. He got on some HDTV forum somewhere and virtually everyone that got the 46" was saying that they wished that they had gone with the 52". He got the 52" and has been happy that he did. Ultimately space, room size, and budget will determine what anyone buys. However, with those issues being considered, I would recommend getting the biggest screen possible.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #80 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't go with the 50". The price difference was a consideration of course, but I justified it and the extra 10"'s really seems to make a positive difference with regard to the home theater experience. I'm glad that I went for the 60". My brother had a similar experience with his Sony. He was going to go with a 46" Bravia XBR5. He got on some HDTV forum somewhere and virtually everyone that got the 46" was saying that they wished that they had gone with the 52". He got the 52" and has been happy that he did. Ultimately space, room size, and budget will determine what anyone buys. However, with those issues being considered, I would recommend getting the biggest screen possible.

Well I guess it also comes down to how much spare money you have as well. Maybe it's not justifiable for people like me because I'm a low income earner.
biggrin.gif

By the way, what TV did you get?

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #81 of 206
This is my current setup. I guess I'll need to upgrade my plasma to Full HD soon
wink.gif

ht02.jpg

Panasonic TH-42PX600E
Topfield TF6000CoC
Oppo Digital OPDV971H
Sony PlayStation 3
Harmony 555 Flat Design
Onkyo TX-SR804E
Infinity Cascade Model Nine
Infinity Cascade Model Three V
Infinity Cascade Model Three C
SVS SB12-Plus

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #82 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I guess it also comes down to how much spare money you have as well. Maybe it's not justifiable for people like me because I'm a low income earner.
biggrin.gif

By the way, what TV did you get?

Like I said, space, room size, and budget are serious considerations for anybody. I put up with a terrible television situation for years and saved for a long time to get my Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD Kuro.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #83 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by jantze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my current setup. I guess I'll need to upgrade my plasma to Full HD soon
wink.gif

Honestly, you're running an XGA lcd, so you're not in the 720p range yet. I would consider just getting a 720p lcd/plasma. I currently run a 720p projector (diy'ed), and have looked a fair bit into this. At the size you seem to be aiming for the only time 1080p would make a difference would be if it was compatible with 1080p/24, and all you're other equipement was as well. In all honesty, I don't think there's a non computer based bluy ray player out there yet worth buying, so in you're case using a ps3, I wouldn't be to bothered. I'm using a 95" screen in 720p, and use to have a 1080p lcd in my projector, but in all honesty, I prefer the 720p, as it's sharpness is hard to see the difference (unless you move really close), and it colours and greyscaling ability is all that is more important to me.

However this is just my opinion, and people are welcome to disagree with me. However I think you'll find very few people who can tell the difference between 1080i (must 720p lcd's with a good de-interlacer should be able to do this) and 1080p (unless of course you make the leap to 1080p/24 whioch is very expensive).

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #84 of 206
On another note is there a home theater thread, I haven't been able to find one and don't wish to start my own thread (as I assume that there must be one).

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #85 of 206
I have a 42" Toshiba 1080P LCD TV. Like it a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #86 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However this is just my opinion, and people are welcome to disagree with me. However I think you'll find very few people who can tell the difference between 1080i (must 720p lcd's with a good de-interlacer should be able to do this) and 1080p (unless of course you make the leap to 1080p/24 whioch is very expensive).

Did I miss something? Just get Blu Ray -player with 24p support and plasma/LCD -screen with FullHD 1080p/24 support. Not that expensive really.

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #87 of 206
It may have changed (i haven't upgraded much in the last few months). But point me to a blu ray player with a good video processor and i'll be all ears. In my opinion you're money is better spent on a good denon player then on a blu ray drive for current performance (you also get a great audio player at the same time). Yes, a blu ray will be sharper, but the denon players will trump it in nearly all other areas. (I should point out that I own both a blu ray and HD DVD drive and do not own a denon dvd player, so this isn't one of those mines better then yours things). As for the price, well I guess that depends where you're from, in Aus we seem to pay a premium for nearly everything.

My main point however unclear I generally can be is that the difference between 720p and 1080p is not day and light. Even with a 1080p/24 display compared with a 'standard' 720p display, i'd prefer a 720p display with better colour, greyscaling etc, then a ''Full HD'' display that was worse off in such areas. That bieng said, i'd prefer a 1080/24 display if it had equal or better colours etc... But is the premium worth it at the moment is a personal chose. I luckilly can just buy a small(ish) (around 10" LCD) and place it in my projector and bingo, I have a 'new' display.
smily_headphones1.gif
My display may have its problems, but it's sharpness is not one of them.

The short version, resolution is not the be all end all. Hence why I 'downgraded' my resolution in my projector to 720p as the panel had much better colours and 'contrast'.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #88 of 206
Photo11.jpg

it's a philips 32 inch 720P LCD

not the absolute best but I was only 18 when I bought it for myself so there was a bit of a budget issue any bigger then that.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #90 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The short version, resolution is not the be all end all. Hence why I 'downgraded' my resolution in my projector to 720p as the panel had much better colours and 'contrast'.

Well in short, my point was that it's not that expensive to buy well performing 1080p/24p set nowadays. If 42" is enough then you can have great screen for about 1200-1500 euros. For Blu Ray player, I'd probably go for PS3 or then buy a blu ray drive for my PC.

I own a Panasonic 42PX70 42" HDReady plasma screen. I have no need for FullHD with as small screen as 42". My viewing distance is about 2.8 - 3.0 meters. What I love about plasma screen is great black levels, contrast and its ability to play fast movements (something in which LCD-screens aren't as good, even nowadays) without judder or other problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back