The Placebo Effect
Aug 23, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #31 of 101
What I'm saying is just common sense: what is consciously perceived is just a tip of the iceberg... You don't perceive the hormonal regulation inside your own body, for example, it is nevertheless very real.

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'm saying is just common sense: what is consciously perceived is just a tip of the iceberg... You don't perceive the hormonal regulation inside your own body, for example, it is nevertheless very real.

Of course you perceive it. What'd you think? It's not there for nothing....

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #33 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course you perceive it. What'd you think? It's not there for nothing....

LOL. I was just trying to perceive it now, I made a real effort, but I couldn't... Is there something wrong with me?

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #34 of 101
Quote:

LOL. I was just trying to perceive it now, I made a real effort, but I couldn't... Is there something wrong with me?

You brought the subject up, so the notion must have been in your head, right?
You must have had some idea of what it is, right?
You just tried to "perceive" it a moment ago. Now what was it you were trying to perceive it with? I suggest you could try to use the effects it has on your bodý's well being to perceive it's existence. Some medical research could tell you what effects to look for. It is only because it's workings were perceived that someone looked for it, found something, described it and used that model for medical purposes. With the sole intention of the effects being perceived by actual people. Otherwise it wouild have been quite useless, right?
Perception is not the signals that our senses feed the brain, but what our brains make of them and all other consequenses they have on our body and visa versa.

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #35 of 101
I can just picture you with your face all read and wrinkles in your forehead, perceiving yourself into a fit.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #36 of 101
Hrm, I'm feeling a bit stupid from my previous comment. I was being siily.

I think I know what your getting at Kees. It's not easy to digest. So are you saying that ultimately, reality doesn't matter unless something is there to interact with it? Without one, you can't have the other in a sense.

I may be way off but I'm not sure I agree. Reality by definition is the state of something as they actually exist outside of any of our notions. A tree falls in a forest with nothing around.. Does it make a sound? I think not but it's still happening and the energy it produces is the same.

::wonders if this meta talk will lead to anything..::

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #37 of 101
Quote:

I can just picture you with your face all read and wrinkles in your forehead, perceiving yourself into a fit.
biggrin.gif

Like I said -- a real effort
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I gotta run: have fun reducing the real to the perceived!

Oh, and if these sorts of questions are interesting to you my recommendation would be to pick up something by Henri Bergson (like Matter and Memory) or if you prefer to look at it from the perspective of neuroscience Antonio Damasio or Jean Pierre Changeux (his model of selective stabilization of synapses) are pretty good.

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrm, I'm feeling a bit stupid from my previous comment. I was being siily.

I think I know what your getting at Kees. It's not easy to digest. So are you saying that ultimately, reality doesn't matter unless something is there to interact with it? Without one, you can't have the other in a sense.

I may be way off but I'm not sure I agree. Reality by definition is the state of something as they actually exist outside of any of our notions. A tree falls in a forest with nothing around.. Does it make a sound? I think not but it's still happening and the energy it produces is the same.

::wonders if this meta talk will lead to anything..::

It is very difficult stuff.
And you're getting pretty close to understanding what I mean.
Thanks for trying.
You need to be able to let go of the notion (of the necessity of) of absolute facts to be able to understand quantum mechanics and related theory's.

About the tree:
As long as nothing was perceived the answer to that question is inconsequential. The answer can become meaningful only if something about that sound (direct or indirect) was perceived (had any effect on anybody).

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #39 of 101
Quote:

Like I said -- a real effort
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I gotta run: have fun reducing the real to the perceived!

Oh, and if these sorts of questions are interesting to you my recommendation would be to pick up something by Henri Bergson (like Matter and Memory) or if you prefer to look at it from the perspective of neuroscience Antonio Damasio or Jean Pierre Changeux (his model of selective stabilization of synapses) are pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I studied math and philosophy and just finished my study on the Dutch Academy for Psycho Therapy. I have read a lot I can tell you (Damasio I am familiar with), but not yet everything....
As far as I'm concerned it never ends.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #40 of 101
I didn't say it was "unrealistic", I said it was an "anti-realist" view. Surely some one with a philosophy background knows what "anti-realism", in contradistinction to "realism."

Also, I don't think you have to espouse the kind of epistemological anti-realism (or the scientific instrumentalism implied). You could go for a critical realist (cf. Popper, Musgrave) view, which is realist but fallibilist. That is, you can maintain that there is a world "out there", states of affairs that are the case even if unknown or unknowable, propositions that are true or false regardless of our beliefs regarding said propositions while also maintaining that we can never have absolutely certain knowledge.

To be honest, I think this is your view at times. You say "Just that they cannot be known." And the "they", I assume, are the states or affairs or propositions to which I referred.

All this is not to say that anti-realism or instrumentalism or idealism is not a live option. Some philosophers of science and epistemologists do espouse such views. But the opposite is also true: Many philosophers or science and epistemologists fight on the side of critical realism, against more post-modern, relativist tendencies.

As it happens, by the way, we have similar backgrounds. My PhD. is in cognitive psychology and philosophy (specializing in epistemology).

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #41 of 101
Quote:

It is very difficult stuff.
And you're getting pretty close to understanding what I mean.
Thanks for trying.
You need to be able to let go of the notion (of the necessity of) of absolute facts to be able to understand quantum mechanics and related theory's.

About the tree:
As long as nothing was perceived the answer to that question is inconsequential. The answer can become meaningful only if something about that sound (direct or indirect) was perceived (had any effect on anybody).

Okay kees, glad I'm not completely full of crap. Always found the subject fascinating but I'm barely skin deep on the subject. Some Allan Watts back in the day, PBS specials and a handful of books that went over my head is all I know.
tongue.gif
Some of it is sooo counter intuitive to the point of absurdity.

About being inconsequential:

How about translating or going back to headphones and it's affect.

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #42 of 101
Quote:

Oh, and if these sorts of questions are interesting to you my recommendation would be to pick up something by Henri Bergson (like Matter and Memory)

x2

Or, more accessible to English speakers but along the same lines, William James' Principles of Psychology. Consciousness of the world is a "saddle back" -- think of a passage between two mountains -- where the immediately perceived is behind you but growing more distant/undefined/unclear (as you look to the mountain behind you) and the immediate future also lays before you. Great imagery (to which I can do no justice by summarizing).

But I don't see how James/Bergson, even if we agree with their mode of thinking about consciousness, get us away from or towards understanding placebo.

--Chris

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #43 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

Or, more accessible to English speakers but along the same lines, William James' Principles of Psychology. Consciousness of the world is a "saddle back" -- think of a passage between two mountains -- where the immediately perceived is behind you but growing more distant/undefined/unclear (as you look to the mountain behind you) and the immediate future also lays before you. Great imagery (to which I can do no justice by summarizing).

But I don't see how James/Bergson, even if we agree with their mode of thinking about consciousness, get us away from or towards understanding placebo.

--Chris

Yeah, James is awesome as well. Now, as far as the relevance of this is concerned... If we define placebo as the effect of expectation on perception then something like Bergson's concept of duration, and his philosophy of time more generally, is, at the very least, one possible way to think about it. I'm not going to insist on it, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back