The Perfect Song?
Jan 19, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddhaSack
Nope, just didn't want to dissuade people from listening to it due to it's religious nature (some people turn off at the sound of anything religious). I already mentioned how much I liked it in my post--you def. do not need to be religious to enjoy music w/ religious elements (but i we both already knew that). I was just trying to say that it's the sound of the vocals that I love and not the message within. I'm not religious at all, but there is something holy about that womans voice. Has anybody else heard it, and if you have-- thoughts?

I have, and I do see where you're coming from. It's not exactly my favorite track/album (favorite track on that CD is actually "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues"), but good nonetheless. I'm sorry about my comment, I just come from an area where people are either overly religious, or the other way around. Everyone's just trying to convert everyone, and they have to consistently re-assert their views...

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 153
Another great song that tells if you have a good system I found was Annie Lennox's "No More I Love You's" When you have the perfect synergy going, this song comes alive. otherwise it can often be too bright. When I had my 225's going with my amp, I swear to you, my ears were going to bleed.

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 153
If you want to impress him I can heartily recommend using binaural recordings. Whenever I try to pimp my gear I have my friends put on the AKG 1000 and then play a specially-recorded orchestral piece. I tell them that, first, I'll show them the sound out of the speakers, while in fact the sound is already coming out of the AKG, which they don't notice yet. Then I tell them to put down the headphones, whereupon they just wonder why. Once they put them down, it usually goes like "woooo, what's going on??". Works (almost) every time because in the original recording event, two highend speakers are playing that certain piece and a dummy head mic picks up the signal coming from the speakers. The recording was intended with headphones in mind in order to showcase the speakers.

However, if you really want to convince him/her, I second Some1x's suggestion of letting him bring his/her favourite recordings. For me it's moving to see my friends rediscovering their favourite recordings. Those unrestrained smiles across the entire face are just priceless. Of course, you'll have to select which favourite recording they are allowed to hear
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Alternatively, just play his favorite song and wait for his reaction when he realizes that he's never before heard it the way it was meant to be heard :wink:

Yes, if all music was meant to be played on such equipment...
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 153
Not sure about albums, but I've had massive smiles from people when listening to Massive Attack's Angel.

At the moment I'm really getting into some classical pieces and can highly recommend Rachmaninov's Themes on Pagnini. I bought it as part of an Rachmaninov Piano Concertos box set as played by Ashkenazi, with Previn conducting. It gave me goosebumps.

Debussy's Clair de Lune is one of my favourite pieces of music, and I bought Leon Fleischer's Two Hands album the other day and can't stop listening to that piece, its just beautiful.

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 153
Oingo Boingo - Insanity
Nickel Creek - Sabra Girl
Shpongle - Dorset Perception
Pink Floyd - Kepp Talking
Juno Reactor - Kaguya Hime
They Might Be Giants - Reprehensible

But yeah, stuff that your friend actually likes is probably your best bet.

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #26 of 153
Quote:

Nope, just didn't want to dissuade people from listening to it due to it's religious nature (some people turn off at the sound of anything religious). I already mentioned how much I liked it in my post--you def. do not need to be religious to enjoy music w/ religious elements (but i we both already knew that). I was just trying to say that it's the sound of the vocals that I love and not the message within. I'm not religious at all, but there is something holy about that womans voice. Has anybody else heard it, and if you have-- thoughts?

while definately not my taste originally, the salesman at an audio store had me listen to Church by Lyle Lovett (on the Joshua Judges Ruth album). the vocals, including a church choir, are very well recorded.

others i like:

Money For Nothing by Dire Straits. very well recorded, fun bass/drum line. listen for Sting's vocal... is it clearly seperate from Mark Knopfler's, or blended?

Say Goodby by Dave Matthews Band. the drums at the beginning are a lot of fun, and there are many complex sections, that will seperate the muddy from the less muddy sounding headphones/speakers.

Building A Mystery or Angel by Sarah McLachlan; Silent All These Years by Tori Amos for female vocals

as mentioned before, the entirety of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is worthy demo material.

cheers,
phil

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #27 of 153
Quote:

Ok-- So I got the Senn HD650 and my Bada amp fired up and ready to go... I have a friend over who thinks I'm a GIGANTIC MORON for spending all the cash on this stuff (I don't care what they think anyways). I want to show them the light, I want to show them how incredible sound can be through headphones, I want them to know the TRUTH!!! What song do I play them?

Don't limit yourself to one.. I want the best of all types of genres.

For example for womens vocals there is a song on O' Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack called "Down to the River to Pray" If i'm not getting goosebumps while listening to this something is wrong. (note I'm not religious AT ALL).

Wagner: Die Walkure: The Ride of the Valkyries

Jan 20, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #29 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil
as mentioned before, the entirety of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is worthy demo material.

cheers,
phil

No way, Wish You Were Here is where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back