The Perfect Song?
Jan 20, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #46 of 153
David Knopfler "Wishbones" .. the entire album is good, but "Hey Jesus" probably drops the most jaws.

Beethoven's 9th - the Jaap van Zweden SACD collection is good.
Berlioz' Requiem (this thing is MASSIVE)
Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary Edition" (SACD layer)
Nils Petter Molvær "Khmer" - the "Tløn" track should spin his head.
600smile.gif

Eleanor McEvoy "Yola" (SACD)

And my personal favorite: Peter Tchaikovsky's "Andante Cantabile Op. II" with Peter Wispelwey on SACD from Channel Classics (CCS number 16501).

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #47 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil
yeah, that's a good one too. especially when the second guitar starts up. it kinda jumps out at you.

Actually, I was thinking the album in general, Particularly "Welcome to the Machine" and "Have a Cigar".

Those two would be awesome.

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #48 of 153
Try some Aphex Twin. I've noticed that many of their albums make my headphones sound awesome.

Jan 21, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #49 of 153
Carl Orff - Carmina burana - O Fortuna ... my personal song for the eyeblinking.. holy****isthiscomingfrommyheadphones?!
blink.gif
... as well as being massively dramatic this is just an awsome song

Bjork - Submarine .. something about this song sounds FANTASTIC on my headphones.. milage may vary.

Delerium - After All .. The vocals and bass notes are awsome on this song... just seems to bring out the best on most setups

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #50 of 153
The Beatles - Abbey Road, or Past Masters v2. A good setup is going to be able to resolve the recording flaws on them
biggrin.gif
best song: I Want You (She's So Heavy) or Old Brown Shoe

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn. Best song: Paper Bag

Massive Attack - Mezzanine. Any song.

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief. Any song.

Dresden Dolls - Dresden Dolls. LOTS of very subtle distortion effects that you're going to completely miss unless you have good phones. Best song: Missed Me

Or, if you want to go the alternate route, make him listen to Merzbow on his system and on your system and ask him which system he prefers to listen with. Merzbird sounds surprisingly good on my setup.

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #51 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
Radiohead - Hail To The Thief. Any song.

Agreed, in particular I think "Myxomatosis" is a good system check.
wink.gif

Also, I'd have to second the Carmina Burana suggestion, although I'd recommend listening to the last two tracks together (Ave formosissima + O Fortuna) - if you do it that way, the first one kind of sets the stage for "O Fortuna" ...

OMG. It is taking me FOREVER to post this, I'm listening to Carmina Burana as I type, but I keep having to stop, so I can close my eyes and just LISTEN. Amazing. My iPod-->PocketDock-->SuperMacro-->A900's just gave me WAVES of goosebumps ... Wow.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #52 of 153
Guster - Keep It Together
or
Guster - Careful

They're very very well recorded, and the sound is just so sweet it just makes me want to close my eyes and feel like I'm drifting away...

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #55 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddhaSack
Ok-- So I got the Senn HD650 and my Bada amp fired up and ready to go... I have a friend over who thinks I'm a GIGANTIC MORON for spending all the cash on this stuff (I don't care what they think anyways). I want to show them the light, I want to show them how incredible sound can be through headphones, I want them to know the TRUTH!!! What song do I play them?

Don't limit yourself to one.. I want the best of all types of genres.

For example for womens vocals there is a song on O' Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack called "Down to the River to Pray" If i'm not getting goosebumps while listening to this something is wrong. (note I'm not religious AT ALL).

Anything recent from Yello. Baby is very good. So is Flag.

Paul Simon: You're the One.

Kris Delmhorst: Songs for a Hurricane.

David Sylvian: Gone to Earth.

Indaco: Vento del Deserto (Available through http://www.btf.it)

Anything recent from Pino Daniele, especially Passi D’Autore and Non Calpestare I Fiori Nel Deserto

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #56 of 153
I have the following that are good recordings:

Dance:
Mezzanine by Massive Attack
Leftism by Leftfield

Rock/other:
Dummy or Portishead by Portishead
The Fragile by NiN
Hotel California by the Eagles
Automatic For The People by REM
Any Bjork album
Maxinquaye by Tricky
Vanishing Point by Primal Scream
Any Queens of the Stone Age
Most Pink Floyd

Hip hop/rap:
Most Ice Cube, Dr Dre, Eminem.

Matt

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #57 of 153
What about the propellerheads?
biggrin.gif
Spybreak / Take California is just ...
basshead.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #60 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchris
With your rig, I would say Pink Floyds 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Not any one song. The whole thing. If your friends aren't converted then, get new friends!
very_evil_smiley.gif

My thoughts exactly!
Let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back