THE PERFECT PAIR OF HEADPHONES!!!
Aug 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 25
Back in the 80's it was probably SR-100's or SR-200's.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #17 of 25
Was reading through the grado sticky, and the perfect headphones were not grado's. Impossible since the rs line was not introduced until the early 90's I bought my pair early mid 80's:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/int...-grado-127867/

However, it sounds like the grado's currently have the sound signature closest to what I experienced then. If am not mistaken, the perfect 'phones were a pair of open audio technica's, with a large plastic headband, priced around 10 dollars higher than the portapros. Probably in the 50-60 dollar range.

Man, those babies pumped out some seriously high quality sound. I recall EXACTLY the first song I listened: "Start Me Up!" The bass sounded absolutely phenomenal on the perfect 'phones.

OK, so does ANYONE recall a beautifully accurate sounding pair of open audio technica's with the physical and sonic characteristics listed in this thread???

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 25
ATH-1.jpg

Were these the headphones?

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 25
^^Thanks for the heads up. Actually they looked a bit more like these:

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M2X Open-Back Dynamic Stereo Headphones: Electronics

(sorry for the link, still trying to find how to embed images)

I'm starting to wonder if these puppies are lost forever
triportsad.gif

These 'phones received very positive reviews from the audiophile mags of the day, such as stereo review, high fidelity and stereophile (or whatever it was called back then).

The thing is, I just picked up a Sandisk clip and the music just sounds beautiful through this very tiny player. I want to maximize the sound quality. Greedy, I guess.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #20 of 25
Man, I've been checking out this link in vain? search of my perfect 'phones:

Stereo Review Equipment Reviews Part 2

Some of those names sure do bring back memories...anyone remember the Shure V-15 Type V-MR cartridge? Or how about Nakamichi dragon cassette decks and turntables? Carver and NAD were real big as was any piece of equipment with tubes. Crazy.

It just takes me back to the time where I'd chuckle at all the articles where audiophiles could claim to hear the most nuanced differences from lp's played on belt vs. direct drive turntables, and with tube amplifiers vs. solid state amps.

Kinda reminds me of shamanistic rituals where ancient tribesmen worshiped deities; here, the goal is not to sway the gods, but to achieve sonic nirvana. The world of audiophiles is a weird religion in that sense, but strangely enchanting and seductive nonetheless.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 25
Grado's RS Line is made out of wood like these:

RS1.jpg

And it means you didn't buy them in the John Grado era but in time of Joe. So it still could be some Grados I think. SR-100, SR-200 or something like this, as somebody already mentioned.

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 25
Hmmm, I happened to stumble across some vintage Pioneer headphones... but most of these are from the 60s and 70s, but this seems to fit your description (looks similar to a Grado, except that metal headband piece...):
Pioneer SE-4
Here are more vintage Pioneers on eBay, hope this helps you to remember!

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #23 of 25
^I saw some vintage Pioneer headphones for sale when I was looking for my Pioneer transport. Sellers seem to comment they sound good for their age.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 25
Well, after spending a few too many hours scouring the internet in search of clues, I am at peace now with the possibility that I may never receover the EXACT pair of headphones I once had.

HOWEVER, it does seem that among contemporary phones, the grados do seem to have a "sound signature" that comes closer than most to what I remember. I will now choose between the SR-60's and the SR-225's.

This reviewer (MZ) on amazon claims that the 225's reveal astonishing levels of detail on his recordings he never even knew existed:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Grado Prestige SR 225 - Headphones ( ear-cup )

...Then, foolishly, I clamped on a pair of 225s: bass pours into your head with effortless clarity, background instruments that I never even heard on my old ear-traps were not only present, but warmly textured, etc. When I got them home, $175 later, I decided to baptize them by fire with a mix of Beck and Ben Folds Live, which I find stubbornly muggy at high bass and volume.

The 225s have revealed a completely unknown layer of instrumentation in some of my favorite Beck tracks -- I don't just mean there's a new cello back there: I mean there's a flute, a panpipe, a tapdancer, and a fat booger hanging out of the cellist's nose. As for the live recordings of Ben Folds, not only did the bottom-end piano hold up amidst the hum of the crowd, but you can actually hear people talking to each other in the audience in a couple of tracks that were recorded, it's now evident, in a small theater.

As far as the expense, I think plunking down a couple hundred dollars for sonic bliss is MORE than worth it. I'm into cycling too, and if you want the lightest rig around, you start at around $7K! Be grateful your hobby is what it is...

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #25 of 25
Oh dear adamm. Dear, sweet, innocent adamm.
Buy the 225s, hide your wallet, and get thee hence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back