The perfect journal?
Nov 15, 2006 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Publius

500+ Head-Fier
After I bought my Lamy Safari, and looked woefully at the cheapness of manufacture of my Moleskine, I began to wonder what the "perfect" journal would be like. Something that will last well beyond the usual journal, and isn't designed solely (or even partially) for aesthetics.

The requirements:
  1. Longetivity.Both the paper and the binding should be in near perfect condition for the next 200 years, and be in good condition for the next several hundred years thereafter, given proper storage and handling. This means 100% cotton rag with as few additive as possible - no sizing, coatings, or dyes/bleaches.
  2. Durability.It ought to survive a dunk in the water - enough so that I'd want to continue using it after doing so. Cotton paper with permanent ink remains surprisingly legible and writable after watering it. The cover should be solid enough to not permanently bend or stretch with travel. No cardboard! The pages should be very well protected by the cover; a strap may be needed.
  3. Resistant to modification.It should satisfy the "usual" legal requirements of a journal - notably, that the binding is fairly permanent, so that pages cannot be added or removed without visible damage.

I haven't found any vendor online who sells a journal that matches quite these specs. Or if they do, I don't have enough information on them. Has anybody else looked for something like this and can recommend something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back