The perfect headphone companion?
Mar 4, 2003 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
bass shaker
aura-big.gif

this thing is designed to give the visceral impact on the body of deep bass, something that headphones cannot do. some have suggested using a sub, but i was wondering if anyone has used this bass shaker with headphones with any success?

Mar 4, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 13
I remember they used to have a chair like that for PC gaming back in the mid 90's... and then Sony had a chair like that in their catalog last year or something... LOL! bass shaker, something like a force feedback seat...

Mar 4, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
It kicks ass!

biggrin.gif

do you have one of these? if so, details please!

[size=xx-small]or perhaps you were joking? in that case, heh heh heh[/size]

Mar 5, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 13
i believe it should more aptly be named...

the assshaker

it reminds me of a contraption a video game company put out that you strap to your back and it would rumber and put you "inside the game". oy.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 13
i'd hate to come home one day and find the wife using it to play some very bass heavy music and getting a little too into the music.
eek.gif

still, has anyone tried this one, not some console game component?

Mar 5, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

i'd hate to come home one day and find the wife using it to play some very bass heavy music and getting a little too into the music.

Oh Howard, ooohhh Howard, ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh HHHOOOWWWARRDDDD!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 13
Here is a link for you to the Buttkicker. I use two of these in my HT. One is mounted under my listening chair and the other is under my couch - which scares the piss out of guests who are not informed ahead of time that thier butt is about to be kicked! My favorite sceen is the train wreck at the beginning of "Unbreakable" - with the right amp setting it feels very real. I've found, however, that these tactile shakers are not for everyday use, and certainly not for dedicated 2-channel audio listening.

They've come down in price - now $399 each, but you need to get a seperate amp. The one I use is a Carvin DCM2000 which pumps out 2000 watts of raw power and can handle both shakers with ease.

There was a thread on this topic on Audiogon not too long ago, and one of the members pointed me to the
D-Box Odyssee which will set you back about $20k (or is its $25k) now!!! This is worth checking out if you want drool about the future of HT. These guys don't just shake the couch with a little buzz, they actually lift it up, down, shift it left, right, back and forth and take you on a joy ride. The Odyssee is a hydrolic platform of about 4' by 8' capable of moving a lot of weight around. Plus they encode all sorts of popular movies with their software to showcase the Odyssee's talents, etc. The place to look on the website is at the "White Paper" for the Odyssee.

Mar 5, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
Here is a link for you to the Buttkicker. I use two of these in my HT. One is mounted under my listening chair and the other is under my couch - which scares the piss out of guests who are not informed ahead of time that thier butt is about to be kicked! My favorite sceen is the train wreck at the beginning of "Unbreakable" - with the right amp setting it feels very real. I've found, however, that these tactile shakers are not for everyday use, and certainly not for dedicated 2-channel audio listening.

They've come down in price - now $399 each, but you need to get a seperate amp. The one I use is a Carvin DCM2000 which pumps out 2000 watts of raw power and can handle both shakers with ease.

There was a thread on this topic on Audiogon not too long ago, and one of the members pointed me to the
D-Box Odyssee which will set you back about $20k (or is its $25k) now!!! This is worth checking out if you want drool about the future of HT. These guys don't just shake the couch with a little buzz, they actually lift it up, down, shift it left, right, back and forth and take you on a joy ride. The Odyssee is a hydrolic platform of about 4' by 8' capable of moving a lot of weight around. Plus they encode all sorts of popular movies with their software to showcase the Odyssee's talents, etc. The place to look on the website is at the "White Paper" for the Odyssee.

Oh dear...
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Mar 6, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 13
Anyone want me to get those vibrating things (the 30 dollar pair), and hook it up to my melos? I may have a few extra bucks lying around after this next paycheck...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back