The perfect affordable amp for the hd600's
May 18, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 36
Am I an elitist? I suppose, but I mostly just hate dolts, and the arrow points straight to...

Anyway, I've heard both the Melos and MID and thought they sounded awesome. I've talked to enough people who's opinion I respect that's heard the gilmore to give it the benifit of the doubt, not to mention that I myself am going to buy one. That's how you give out recommendations isn't it? Suggest stuff you own/are going to get? One of the people has heard all three of the amps I've mentioned, and he's also hip, has a sense of taste and smart, unlike you, Spad.

May 18, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #17 of 36
I can't seem to find information on where to buy the Gilmore v2 or the price. Can someone post a link or tell me where to go?

By the way, it's too bad I don't have much money, because if I actually made a decent amount I wouldn't have waited so long to buy some of these amps.

May 18, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #19 of 36
_
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Am I an elitist? I suppose, but I mostly just hate dolts, and the arrow points straight to...

Anyway, I've heard both the Melos and MID and thought they sounded awesome. I've talked to enough people who's opinion I respect that's heard the gilmore to give it the benifit of the doubt, not to mention that I myself am going to buy one. That's how you give out recommendations isn't it? Suggest stuff you own/are going to get? One of the people has heard all three of the amps I've mentioned, and he's also hip, has a sense of taste and smart, unlike you, Spad.

Hey, you've got me all wrong, kid. I'm commiserating with you.
biggrin.gif

I can only imagine how weighty that burden-of-perfection must be on those teenage shoulders of yours. But don't worry, the "perfection" usually wears off in our early twenties--just about the time the rest of the world begins to seem miraculously less doltish.

Oh, and about that Corda HA-2 I recommended . . . I own one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kick back, grab another can of that manly 3.2, and just think of how "elite" you really are compared to all the ex-flag officers out here.

Carry on.
tongue.gif

May 18, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

My top picks for amps with HD600 are [snip] Gilmore Dynamic otherwise known as HeadAmp Gilmore V2.

then later:

Quote:

I normally wouldn't post a blind recommendation because it's stupid, but I feel that it's relevant because the amp that I haven't heard is one that will be my next amp.

I would take recommendations made for a product the recommender has never heard with a big ol' lump of salt
wink.gif

Quote:

I've talked to enough people who's opinion I respect that's heard the gilmore to give it the benifit of the doubt, not to mention that I myself am going to buy one. That's how you give out recommendations isn't it? Suggest stuff you own/are going to get?

The first part, yes, the second, no. It's one thing to say "I've heard good things about XYZ, but I haven't heard it myself." It's another to say "XYZ is my top pick" when you've never even heard it. It sounds more like shilling for a friend than a useful recommendation...

May 18, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #21 of 36
I think the military is stupid, and so are you for even bringing it up. I was originally going to go through ROTC, but I chose to just enlist, I have my reasons, get over it, and don't play this "you are young putz" crap on me, that's so friggin lame.

A lot of people recommend stuff they don't actually own. *roll eyes*

Take it easy Mac, ok so maybe I should have separated the two amps I've heard and the one I have my bets on, jeesh, tone down the anal mix drinks. But I take offense to the accusation of shilling, that's dumb, I have a voice of my own and posts on my own will, I am not someone's bitch like some people I know. Gossip is a whore, don't be talking behind my back in the mod forums, that is very rude...

May 18, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

I normally wouldn't post a blind recommendation because it's stupid, but I feel that it's relevant because the amp that I haven't heard is one that will be my next amp. Based on a friend's honest thoughts on it whom is the only one I trust completely not only because he is one of the few who's tastes don't suck like most people on head-fi, also because a lot of what my tastes are shadow his.

Based on the quote from above, I'm not so sure I'd take this member's advice!! I doubt you'll end up being "one of the few on Head-Fi whose tastes don't suck"
biggrin.gif

For a good match for the HD-600, I'd look for something that has decent highs. You won't want something that's rolled off, for sure. I'd suggest one of the Corda products...maybe the HA-2 or possibly the PreHead. If you like tubes, I've heard the HD-580 with the MF X-Cans V2, and it sounded pretty good.

May 18, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

I think the military is stupid, and so are you for even bringing it up.

The military is stupid? I haven't heard that since the 60s. So what are you, kid, the only draftee in the entire military?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Don't worry, once they find out who you really are you'll be running things in no time. You were obviously meant to command a carrier battle group, not a damned spud peeler!
biggrin.gif

Latrine captain today, Chief of Naval Operations tomorrow!

May 18, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
I have been planning to get a really good amp for my hd600's for a while and have almost decided on the Headroom Supreme. But I want to know if there is any other amp better than that one, preferably under $600.

Well, believe it, or not I actually took the time to look in your profile, and see what source you are using, and I recommend a JMT META42.

May 18, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #25 of 36
If only the META42 or Gilmore had the same 30-day return policy as Headroom.

May 18, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Take it easy Mac, ok so maybe I should have separated the two amps I've heard and the one I have my bets on, jeesh, tone down the anal mix drinks. But I take offense to the accusation of shilling, that's dumb, I have a voice of my own and posts on my own will, I am not someone's bitch like some people I know. Gossip is a whore, don't be talking behind my back in the mod forums, that is very rude...

Somebody needs a hug!
grouphug.gif

May 18, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Somebody needs a hug!
grouphug.gif

Funny...I had a little different reaction.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Somebody needs a hug!
grouphug.gif

ROFL!

May 18, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 36
If you are using a sound card, then I would not recommend putting $600 towards an amp (unless you plan on buying a new source in the near future).

Instead, I would go with a well-configured META42. Diminishing returns kicks in very quickly with a sound card, and you probably wouldn't get your money's worth from a higher end amp.

Quote:

If only the META42 or Gilmore had the same 30-day return policy as Headroom.

Gilmore has a 30-day guarantee last time I checked, unless Antness changed something. A META42 is almost a sure thing; I don't think you need to worry about a guarantee; especially since they sell pretty quickly around here. You might watch the for sale forum for used META42s. They seem to come up pretty frequently with the flood of people upgrading to Gilmore V2s these days. Mine might even go up within the next couple of weeks; we'll see though.
wink.gif

Oh, and sorry your thread is having trouble staying on track.
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
If you are using a sound card, then I would not recommend putting $600 towards an amp (unless you plan on buying a new source in the near future).

radrd, what if I told you I would soon be buying a Cambridge Audio D500SE. Would that change your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back