The perfect affordable amp for the hd600's
May 18, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #31 of 36
I would suggest auditioning or at least reading reviews on the Music Hall CD25 (known under various names.) Chinese built, inported by Mike Hall. Just a thought.

Getting back to amps, I just bought a used EarMax. This tube amp was built for the HD600's. Used prices are from $250 - $375, and they are not that common.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of amps get put up for sale a month after purchase. EarMax's don't. I think it could be because people who buy them genrally like them (I have found one exception on this board.) Anyway, I like mine. Minimalist circuit, with all that entails.

I think if it were less adorable looking, it would be more popular. The wife-acceptance-factor is through the roof.

I bought the earMax because i wanted to get my toes wet in the tube world, after listening to a HA-1 (which I think is a good amp for the money - and Jan Meier deserves to have money setn to him as often as possible). The EarMax outshines the HA-1 in every department, except absolute maximum loudness. It sounds more open than the HA-1 with the crossfeed circuit enagaged.

A somewhat overlooked little (literally) amp.

May 18, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

radrd, what if I told you I would soon be buying a Cambridge Audio D500SE. Would that change your mind?

It would, but then I would also suggest that you consider a different source. The Cambridge Audio D500SE is supposed to be decent, but you can do a lot better without spending a lot more. The Philips DVD963SA and Music Hall MMF-CD25 are getting a lot of good press these days.

May 18, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #33 of 36
I already agreed with you on the Music Hall.

I heartily agree on the Philips, too. Probably my next new source, unless a new giant-killer comes out in the meantime.

Now, back to the question of the amp....

May 18, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #34 of 36
Would I be right then to say that Music Hall has an overall better reputation than Cambridge among most audiophiles? (Last question, then back to the amps)

May 18, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #35 of 36
but I have never read an unfavorable comparison of the Music Hall against the Cambridge. The Cambridge is a fine unit. I have not head the Music Hall, which is a re-branded Chinese unit with a Music Hall warranty. It plays HDCD which the Cambridge does not.

If I found a good deal on a used Cambridge I would be tempted, but I would buy the Music Hall over it in a second.

Finally, the Philips one of the current rages on this board. It also plays SACD and DVD very well, while getting good reviews on CD (red book) audio.

Depends on what your media is going to be.

Of course, you should really go with vinyl so you can spend incredible amounts of money quicker ....

(BTW, the problem with tube amps is that you WILL be rolling tubes. It is a sickness, but not animals are harmed in the process. Your wallet is already history...because you are here.

Good luck.

May 20, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #36 of 36
Email Jim at Philly Audio in New York. He might have exactly what you are looking for. ... For the right price too. Check out www.Phillyaudio.com
If you talk to the guy he might be able to help you out. At the very least he is really honest and will take the amp back if you don't like it. It is easy using a UHC signature or other equivalent devices to convert the RCA out of the preamp to a headphone jack. Rumor has it that both the 7b preamp and the neutron sound great with high impedance cans like the Senns. My grados' unfortunately are a different story. But more about the new mystery amp in the second week of june.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back