The perfect affordable amp for the hd600's
May 17, 2003 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

MusicLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been planning to get a really good amp for my hd600's for a while and have almost decided on the Headroom Supreme. But I want to know if there is any other amp better than that one, preferably under $600.

May 17, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 36
Many would say to try a gilmore or maxed-out meta42.

I say nay. The supreme sounded better than both at the socal headphone meet. I actually think the next headphone amp I buy will be from headroom.

Of course, if you want tubes, you could get an earmax headphone amp... or maybe one of the offerings from antique sound lab.

Then again, i also prefer the supreme to the MG Head. I've never heard the earmax though.

May 17, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks for the response, Tim. It's good to know that the Supreme is better than those other two very popular amps.

If I buy the Supreme, it will get to my house sometime around Monday and I will attempt to write a small review of it, considering I am new.

May 17, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Thanks for the response, Tim. It's good to know that the Supreme is better than those other two very popular amps.

Make sure you understand that this is Tim's opinion. This hobby is extremely subjective. He might like the Supreme better, but it doesn't guarantee that you or anyone else will. I've never heard the Supreme, so I have no idea. Just make sure you take everyone's advice as an opinion. There are no absolutes around here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Back to your question, Headroom's amps are generally considered to match very well with the HD600. It would not suprise me at all to learn that the Supreme/HD600 is an outstanding combination.

With a $600 budget, I would consider the Gilmore, but I have no idea how it compares to Headroom's similarly priced offerings with the HD600. In the review archive of this forum Kelly reviewed a Gilmore 1 (current version is 2). IIRC, he liked it very much with the HD600.

This thread should be in the amp section, where you might want to do some searching in addition to posting.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

May 17, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 36
I used to own a Supreme, it was a pos. I listened to the recent Cosmic amp as well, and thought it too sucked. I honestly don't like any of HeadRooms amps.

Also, keep in mind Tim has one of the weirdest taste of all the people I've talked to... I doubt there are many others like him. Heh.

My top picks for amps with HD600 are McCormack Micro Integrated Drive (MID), Melos SHA-1, and Gilmore Dynamic otherwise known as HeadAmp Gilmore V2.

May 17, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 36
I'll give the standard recommendation of the ASL MG Head. Even with NOS tubes it will cost you far less than $600. I absolutely loved the combination of MG Head+NOS tubes and the HD580+Cardas Replacement cable.

The MG Head OTL32 is also within your $600 limit, though just barely. Since I haven't heard it myself I can't really comment on it.

May 17, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 36
I have listened to the Headroom line from the Little up through the Blockhead. All of these amps handle the HD600's well and you really can not go to far wrong. If you absolutely hate it they do have a 30 day money back guarantee. I have not had an opportunity to listen to a Gilmore as yet so no comments on that amp. The META I heard was at a meet and only for a very short time. From what I recall it sounded pretty good.

When you read the comments both here and in other threads I would recommend that you first do not make any decision based on what someone who has never heard an amp paired with the Senn's has to say. You could get the same advice from a trained parrot. Second carefully read the reviews paying attention to the detail they contain for that is where the real differences are IMO as you cross over into the better amps. You want, I think, to match the amps character with your preferences in music and sound. If you are willing to take the time and do the research you will find a reviewer or two that hears things pretty much the same way you do. This takes some time though. The other option that is what I like to do is buy what you think is the best at the time and within your budget, listen for a time (months to a year or so) then upgrade. You can then sell your first piece or do what I do line them up and use them for comparisons. My wife no longer says anything she just shakes her head when she sees another box from UPS.

May 17, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
When you read the comments both here and in other threads I would recommend that you first do not make any decision based on what someone who has never heard an amp paired with the Senn's has to say. You could get the same advice from a trained parrot.

True, true, true. And don't forget to check those profiles!

May 17, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 36
Personally, I would stay away from the supreme. To put it quite lightly, I'm not a fan. I say go for either

1) Gilmore
2) Corda HA-2
3) Maxed out meta42
4) MG Head w/NOS tubes.

May 18, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 36
I normally wouldn't post a blind recommendation because it's stupid, but I feel that it's relevant because the amp that I haven't heard is one that will be my next amp. Based on a friend's honest thoughts on it whom is the only one I trust completely not only because he is one of the few who's tastes don't suck like most people on head-fi, also because a lot of what my tastes are shadow his.

May 18, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I normally wouldn't post a blind recommendation because it's stupid, but I feel that it's relevant because the amp that I haven't heard is one that will be my next amp. Based on a friend's honest thoughts on it whom is the only one I trust completely not only because he is one of the few who's tastes don't suck like most people on head-fi, also because a lot of what my tastes are shadow his.

Wow! So I take it you and your friend are the last of the "perfect ones," right? Is he also 19 years old? Very impressive. No, really.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back