The PENON official thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #11,881 of 14,542
hiby m300
Its not that your sources there can't drive them. However they both lack raw power. In this case your actually better off getting the Serials which is more efficient to drive. However even the Serials do better with more power. Or getting a portable amp to connect with your M300.

I would say something like the Fiio BTR7 is the minimum for the quattro in balanced.

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #11,883 of 14,542
To the users that already have quattro in their hands, is easy to drive?
Do you think that truthear shio (dongle) or hiby m300 are enough?
Would recommend finding devices that can output at least 300mw @32ohms/ 150mw @16ohms given sufficient headroom, sensitvity and impedance, and the 8-10db bass boost.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #11,884 of 14,542
Its not that your sources there can't drive them. However they both lack raw power. In this case your actually better off getting the Serials which is more efficient to drive. However even the Serials do better with more power. Or getting a portable amp to connect with your M300.

I would say something like the Fiio BTR7 is the minimum for the quattro in balanced.
This great advice, if you under drive the Serial and probably the Quattro the bottom end sounds muddy?

Judging from some early Impressions people should mention the sources they are using. To get a better sense of why a person would hear something different from you this is a important note.

FEED THEM SOME JUICE

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #11,885 of 14,542
Would recommend finding devices that can output at least 300mw @32ohms/ 150mw @16ohms given sufficient headroom, sensitvity and impedance, and the 8-10db bass boost.
Fiio BTR7 is that kind of device?
Do you have another suggestion?
Thanks

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #11,886 of 14,542
Fiio BTR7 is that kind of device?
Do you have another suggestion?
Thanks
Never had anything better than a questyle m15, but I am currently waiting for the 18 portable to release. It also depends on what type of sound sig you want your source to have. I would suggest you to research heavily into that before buying one.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #11,887 of 14,542
Never had anything better than a questyle m15, but I am currently waiting for the 18 portable to release. It also depends on what type of sound sig you want your source to have. I would suggest you to research heavily into that before buying one.
Unfortunately and because of my location i can't try any item before i buy it.
Right now i'm looking at fiio btr7, btr15 and ifi go blue (all are bluetooth devices).
Questyle is a dongle but im open to all suggestions.
There is anything that i should look at too?

I listen mostly classical, ambiance and indie music.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #11,888 of 14,542
To the users that already have quattro in their hands, is easy to drive?
Do you think that truthear shio (dongle) or hiby m300 are enough?

Yeah the Quattro needs power.

Running them out of the R6P2, Class AB on high gain, this is the volume I use (with the same track).

Volt - 36

Aurora - 41

10th - 34

Serial - 40

Quattro - 56…

The R6P2 drives it fine I reckon, but I’ll try it amped when I have a moment.

Unfortunately and because of my location i can't try any item before i buy it.
Right now i'm looking at fiio btr7, btr15 and ifi go blue (all are bluetooth devices).
Questyle is a dongle but im open to all suggestions.
There is anything that i should look at too?

I listen mostly classical, ambiance and indie music.

What are your needs and what’s your budget? Do you need bluetooth? Streaming? Do you need an Android device or do you mostly play music from your own library? @Dsnuts suggestion of getting an amp for your M300 is a good one too.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #11,889 of 14,542
Yeah the Quattro needs power.

Running them out of the R6P2, Class AB on high gain, this is the volume I use (with the same track).

Volt - 36

Aurora - 41

10th - 34

Serial - 40

Quattro - 56…

The R6P2 drives it fine I reckon, but I’ll try it amped when I have a moment.

What are your needs and what’s your budget? Do you need bluetooth? Streaming? Do you need an Android device or do you mostly play music from your own library? @Dsnuts suggestion of getting an amp for your M300 is a good one too.
Yes, that suggestion is the option that Im looking for as i don't want to buy another dap right now.
I listen music mostly on my phone (with shio dongle), on computer (with shio too) or on m300 and i use tidal plus most of the time or some FLAC files that i also have.
With that in mind i started to search something like btr7 (suggested) or ifi go blue because i can use one or another with the phone, computer or m300..
But i don't know which one to choose or if are better options in this price range (+/-250€)

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #11,890 of 14,542
Yes, that suggestion is the option that Im looking for as i don't want to buy another dap right now.
I listen music mostly on my phone (with shio dongle), on computer (with shio too) or on m300 and i use tidal plus most of the time or some FLAC files that i also have.
With that in mind i started to search something like btr7 (suggested) or ifi go blue because i can use one or another with the phone, computer or m300..
But i don't know which one to choose or if are better options in this price range (+/-250€)

At the risk of going wildly off topic - I can think of the Topping NX7 or whatever their latest portable amp is these days - I’ve had one or another since NX1.

Venture Electronics Runabout has loads of power and sounds great. I haven’t heard the current version but have an earlier one.

Do you like tubes? Kaei Tap 1 comes in at just slightly over your budget.

Or do you even need a portable solution to begin with? If not, Fiio K7 is excellent and there’s now even a bluetooth version.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #11,893 of 14,542
Also Topping G5. Bare bones in features, but amazing amount of power.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #11,894 of 14,542
Topping G5 is quite analytical, flat, clean, almost lean imho. It does not make my Penon Serial shine

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #11,895 of 14,542
For the Fan 2 I found I had to find shorter tips that reduced the overall length (of the nozzle and tip combined) otherwise the tips would bottom out in my ear canal messing up the sound.

Since they insert so deep you might also find you need a size smaller tip diameter than usual.

I am using something similar to a KBear 07 that came with a Shanling IEM but have some NF audio MS42 on the way, they are quite short and should suit the long nozzle.

At the risk of going wildly off topic - I can think of the Topping NX7 or whatever their latest portable amp is these days - I’ve had one or another since NX1.

Venture Electronics Runabout has loads of power and sounds great. I haven’t heard the current version but have an earlier one.

Do you like tubes? Kaei Tap 1 comes in at just slightly over your budget.

Or do you even need a portable solution to begin with? If not, Fiio K7 is excellent and there’s now even a bluetooth version.

Also Topping G5. Bare bones in features, but amazing amount of power.

Topping G5 is quite analytical, flat, clean, almost lean imho. It does not make my Penon Serial shine
First of all, thank you all for the replies.
I guess i entered another rabbit hole and i spent some time looking for your suggestions and others and others...
I want something small and portable, bluetooth is a bonus.
Fiio btr7, topping nx7 and ifi hip DAC 3 are the ones that Im inclined to.
Any of them should be able to proper drive quattro, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back