The Outlaw 1050 good for phones?
May 3, 2002 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Atomicarnage

Head-Fier
Strange enough, I found this receiver while browsing through Playboy.

Any chance that somone here at head-fi has used this receiver's headphone out? Anyone? It's a shot in the dark, but if you're out there I wanna know how this puppy performs.

This thing is supposed to be an awesome amp for the price, competing with amps that cost much much more. For those interested in high quality home audio on the cheap.

The outlaw model 1050 receiver

May 5, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 8
You might be better off going to the Outlaw Audio Forums and asking there. I think they have an entire forum dedicated to the receiver (www.outlawaudio.com).

By the way, the reason i'm here is that I'm buying an Outlaw 950 Preamp with NO FREAKING HEADPHONE JACK!!!!

Neither does my $1500 list Sony ES9000 DVD, CD player nor my current Rotel preamp. What's up with that? When did it stop being the case that every audio component on the planet had a heaphone jack?

Thanks, I feel better now.

May 6, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, that's whack.

I did go to the forum and ask, but it seems that no one anywhere but here knows anything about headphones. I asked at their forum, but I still haven't gotten a reply. NOBODY uses their receiver for its headphone out. Oh well.

May 6, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 8
One thing I wonder about is exactly what you get out of a headphone jack from a multichannel system. So you're playing a movie using digital out in DD or DTS. Wouldn't the amp have to do a downmix into 2 channel?

I know the Anthem AVM-20 has an excellent headphone jack, but they're using Dolby Headphone. Hmmm.

May 6, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 8
I have a 1050. Its headphone out is nothing special. I previously had an Adcom GFP-565. Its headphone out was better than a Creek OBH-11 but not as good as a McCormack MID, IMO. I only use headphones for stereo music I have not been impressed at all with any of the "dolby" headphone systems I have heard. BTW I am also waiting on my 950.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back