THE OSTRY KC06A ! THE GUY WHO SURPRISES WITH SOUND, CLASS,LOOK AND MANY MORE, :D
Jan 4, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #766 of 776
IMHO, the RockJaw Alfa Genus (V2) with comply foam tips.  Awesome.  But not exactly the same built (let's say if you want to sleep with them...).

Still, with the silver filter (the one with more bass) and the comply tips, they get an awesome balance for me with nice bass, fuller midrange and clean + clear highs.  They just surpassed my KC06A...

Upgrade?  Depends on your tastes, but for me yes.

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #767 of 776
  IMHO, the RockJaw Alfa Genus (V2) with comply foam tips.  Awesome.  But not exactly the same built (let's say if you want to sleep with them...).

Still, with the silver filter (the one with more bass) and the comply tips, they get an awesome balance for me with nice bass, fuller midrange and clean + clear highs.  They just surpassed my KC06A...

Upgrade?  Depends on your tastes, but for me yes.

Do they have tips included that still sound better than the KC06a, only with a lot less bass than the kc06a? And are the comply foam tips included in the original packaging of the earphones? I found the KC06a with the stock tips to have too much bass and too little treble for my taste..

And how do they compare in depth soundwise to the KC06a unamped?

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #768 of 776
Original tips are so so, and emphasize bass a bit...  You need to tip roll with these.  For me, Comply T100 did the trick.  With the silver filter, the Alfa Genus is a strong V shape., so lot of bass and treble.  T100 drops the bass and the treble just enough and great for me.

But, this iem also offers two other filters that offer a more balanced sound (gold and champagne).  But they seem harder to drive for me (without an amp) which is not the case with silver filter.

Another possible upgrade that I like a lot is the RHA MA750, but you need to get a deal on it to be in your budget.  I got mine for 100 CAD in the local ads.

Twister6 suggestion for KC06A potential upgrade was the Audio Technica CKR10 (or 9) but it's more expensive.  He also suggested ATH IM50 which is also a very good option and would fit in your price.

Still, the more I try earphones, the more I realize ymmv.  Fit, comfort, sound, cable and built quality...  depends on what you prioritize and it's hard to get the whole package for a budget.   KC06A still has a lot of ++ for me.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #769 of 776
  Original tips are so so, and emphasize bass a bit...  You need to tip roll with these.  For me, Comply T100 did the trick.  With the silver filter, the Alfa Genus is a strong V shape., so lot of bass and treble.  T100 drops the bass and the treble just enough and great for me.

But, this iem also offers two other filters that offer a more balanced sound (gold and champagne).  But they seem harder to drive for me (without an amp) which is not the case with silver filter.

Another possible upgrade that I like a lot is the RHA MA750, but you need to get a deal on it to be in your budget.  I got mine for 100 CAD in the local ads.

Twister6 suggestion for KC06A potential upgrade was the Audio Technica CKR10 (or 9) but it's more expensive.  He also suggested ATH IM50 which is also a very good option and would fit in your price.

Still, the more I try earphones, the more I realize ymmv.  Fit, comfort, sound, cable and built quality...  depends on what you prioritize and it's hard to get the whole package for a budget.   KC06A still has a lot of ++ for me.

Since the sound signature is changable of the Alfa Genus, that can't be compared to the KC06a. But do you know how the timbre compares? What earphone sounds more natural/real with vocals and instruments? And which earphone has the most upfront vocals?

And how does the Im50 compare to the KC06a soundwise?

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #770 of 776
Good question about the timbre.  No, I don't think they are similar.  KC06A has more upfront vocals I would say, but it's a more aggressive sound.  Alfa Genus is smoother in the mids, but very nice details.

I don't have the IM50 anymore, so I will rely on memory, but the sound was more «even» I would say.  Bass was more complete and present, mids were more in your face, and highs were less aggressive.  I got rid of it because of comfort, mainly.  I found it to obtrusive for my ears, but that is just me.  I am picky about comfort.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #771 of 776
  Good question about the timbre.  No, I don't think they are similar.  KC06A has more upfront vocals I would say, but it's a more aggressive sound.  Alfa Genus is smoother in the mids, but very nice details.

I don't have the IM50 anymore, so I will rely on memory, but the sound was more «even» I would say.  Bass was more complete and present, mids were more in your face, and highs were less aggressive.  I got rid of it because of comfort, mainly.  I found it to obtrusive for my ears, but that is just me.  I am picky about comfort.

I ordered the Alfa Genus V2 yesterday, I hope they'll sound better than the KC06a with my KZ WHIRLWIND eartips (which reduced the bass of the KC06a and makes the highs a lot more sparkly).

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #774 of 776
Any update on the Genus? Would you say it has replaced KC06A for you?
I have returned them, since I couldnt get a good fit with them.

But soundwise, the genus has more detail, better instrument separation and better timbre. The sound is more upfront than that of the KC06a, but also slightly harsher (but surprisingly not in a annoying way, more in a natural, revealing way)

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #775 of 776
Thank you for the support. We will always focus on the technology for the people who enjoy the music
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back