The Original Supra...and the Newest SDS (to date)
Sep 9, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
yes, so far... mine hasn't been made yet so that comment is true.

once I get the details on the amp I will post it. I'm waiting for Mikhail to get a quote from Lockheed on oversized (~18x12x10 inch) Maestro cases.

The line for these cases forms behind me.
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolifant
What are the better 6SN7s that you hunt down?

How can you replace the cable for the R-10. Its not like there is a plug like the Senn 650s. You would have to rewire it. Frankly, I am not convinced you need to go balanced anyway. My R-10s sound so good with single ended sources and amps. I don't own a balanced source now. BTW, I got the fully modded Sony 555ES (SACDmods.com). What a source!

Hmmm....makes you wonder. Spend $3K on a SDS or buy a pair of Qualias. I wonder what Tom's SDS will cost...$4-5K? Now we are talking real money
rolleyes.gif

When my amp gets here I will be able to tell you the advantages between SE and balanced SDS amps. I will use the same cables and phones and run two pr. of HD650/Zu and Zu-XLR cables with my Cary 306/200.
I just talked to Mikhail and I guess he prefers real money, I was hoping monopoly money would work,but not in this lifetime.
wink.gif

Congrats on a great new source!!

Sep 9, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #48 of 62
Help me Tom. What headphone jacks will this SDS-T have? I don't quite understand why you need two Zu cables. Will there be seperate jacks for R and L? Are the Zu cabler normal headphone plugs?I understand you will be using XLR interconnects from the Cary to the SDS, right?

Sep 9, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
...6SN7's are the usual suspects:...
Sylvania 6SN7GT (VT-231 or 6SN7GT up through 1952 or so)
Sylvania 6SN7A (metal base)
Sylvania 6SN7W (metal or black base)
Tung Sol VT-231 (6SN7GT) round plate version (many brand names of this tube are the same tube)

Hirsch,
In some thread, I believe I saw that you felt the best tube (at the time) was the round plate TungSol. Is this still the case? (Was I mistaken?)

I have seen some "oval plate" Tung Sols for sale. Do those sound the same as the circular plate ones?
circular: http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1094526801.jpg
oval: http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1094526802.jpg

I can get Sylvania VT-231 (Tall bottles make any difference?) for much cheaper than either TungSol variety, but I am putting so much into my rig upgrade that I don't want to skimp out on the last $100 if that last $100 will make the whole rig noticably better.

(New rig: MF TriVista 21 DAC > Nitrogen cables > Supra with Option 1 mods + Solen Stage 3 > My trusty w2002)

Recommendations?

Sep 9, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #50 of 62
The plates on both of these are round.One has oval micas the other has round.The round mica ones are rarer but IMO they both sound more or less the same.

Sep 9, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #51 of 62
Those are my tubes you're referencing
smily_headphones1.gif
I agree with Rob; they sound more or less the same IME, but others (I think including Hirsch) say the round mica is better. I know my ears aren't as discriminate to small differences as some, so it very well could be my shortcoming. Either round or oval mica TS RP are my favorite 6SN7 by far, and I think a lot of people concur
tongue.gif

The TS RP and Sylvania VT-231 are very different sounding tubes. I think the VT-231 - being quite transparent but lacking in bass - are great in certain applications and terrific to pass signal through (e.g. driver or output spots) but the TS RP is the better gain tube.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Help me Tom. What headphone jacks will this SDS-T have? I don't quite understand why you need two Zu cables. Will there be seperate jacks for R and L? Are the Zu cabler normal headphone plugs?I understand you will be using XLR interconnects from the Cary to the SDS, right?

Here is a picture of the Zu Mobius that will be used with the SDS-XLR amp. It has a separate XLR connector for each channel. The amp box will have two complete SDS amps inside it. It will use six of the 6sn7 tubes. I'm sure you could have the cable terminated in two 1/4 inch jacks though. You can also have a regular jack for using the amp with normal terminated phones, it will not be balanced in this mode. I need two Zu cables because the one terminated with 1/4 headphone jack will be used with the SE SDS. Yes I will be using the balanced outs from the Cary to the SDS-XLR. Hope this picture clears things up some.
600smile.gif

1224083IMGP0063.jpg

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrieks
Hirsch,
In some thread, I believe I saw that you felt the best tube (at the time) was the round plate TungSol. Is this still the case? (Was I mistaken?)

I have seen some "oval plate" Tung Sols for sale. Do those sound the same as the circular plate ones?
circular: http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1094526801.jpg
oval: http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1094526802.jpg

I can get Sylvania VT-231 (Tall bottles make any difference?) for much cheaper than either TungSol variety, but I am putting so much into my rig upgrade that I don't want to skimp out on the last $100 if that last $100 will make the whole rig noticably better.

Recommendations?

Both sets have round plates. The top set has round mica's while the bottom set has oval mica's. The plates are vertical between the mica's, or spacers. These are a very smooth and refined gain tube, but possibly overkill as an output tube. One of those in front of a pair of Sylvania VT-231's or 1951/52 Syl 6SN7GT's as output will give you a very nice sound indeed. I do tend to vaccilate at times on which tube is my favorite gain tube. Sometimes it's Tung Sol, sometimes Ken-Rad, sometimes National Union. Right now it's gray glass National Union, but, after all, tomorrow is another day...
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #55 of 62
So, Tom, why are you keeping the SE SDS? BTW, I have dibs on it once you consider it obsolete.
smily_headphones1.gif

So you will have a dual mono balanced headphone amp witha seperate power supply. And your favorite cans are the Senn 850s

Sounds like you are screaming for Qualias or an R-10 to really reap the benefits of that amp. I bet that beast weighs more than my 6 channel home theatre amp.

Sep 10, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

So, Tom, why are you keeping the SE SDS? BTW, I have dibs on it once you consider it obsolete.
smily_headphones1.gif

So you will have a dual mono balanced headphone amp witha seperate power supply. And your favorite cans are the Senn 850s

Sounds like you are screaming for Qualias or an R-10 to really reap the benefits of that amp. I bet that beast weighs more than my 6 channel home theatre amp.

I doubt the SDS will become obsolete to me. I just got my new turntable yesterday and it is setup with the SDS in a second vinyl system.
icon10.gif

Now all I need is one more to go along with the Sony 999ES with the Modwright ultimate truth tube mods I want for SACD and I'll be done.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030
My god, the price for the tubes alone in Tom's SDS exceeds the price of my entire setup
eek.gif
. ( assuming you're going all-out with 6 TS roundplates
biggrin.gif
)

I'll try it with the six TungSols, but think two of them with four Sylvania VT231's will probably be what I go with in the amp. This has been one of my favorite combos so far.

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #59 of 62
Hirsch, any updates? Also hows the HD650 and original Supra going? Still sounding good?

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
The amp box will have two complete SDS amps inside it.

Dear Lord, that's going to be one sweet amp! You'll have to post pic's of your setup when you get it all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back