"The Orange Box" for the PC is only $10 this weekend!
Apr 25, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to belittle your point, but who cares about the facial textures? They have THE GRAVITY GUN. Seriously one of the coolest things ever put into a game.

The fact that this game is relatively old compared to newer titles such as Crysis, COD 4 & 5, Bioshock, Farcry 2, and it still has better looking faces. Plus the graphics overall are very nice, especially the water.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnieb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that this game is relatively old compared to newer titles such as Crysis, COD 4 & 5, Bioshock, Farcry 2, and it still has better looking faces. Plus the graphics overall are very nice, especially the water.

The success of Value:steam is mainly because of their multiplayer. Single player games can only last so long, for 1 year or so. But look at the revenues that steam is making which is amazing.

Look at TF2 and L4D, they offer continuous hours of multiplayer fun.

Sure, graphics are not the best. But the fun of gameplay covers it.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 44
Good find. I might pick it up. Been wanting to try "Portal" for awhile. I played all through Half Life, but Half Life 2 graphics gave me a headache. Maybe I'll try it again.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #19 of 44
taylor, if your problem with HL2 is what I think it is, too narrow a field of view, it can be adjusted to make you less motion sick, a quick google will solve it for you. Portal even comes with a FOV adjustment right in the menu!

HL2EP2 is the best sequel I've ever played, superlatives are wasted on it.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #20 of 44
Great find, even though I already have orange box!

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #22 of 44
I just bought it. I'll give it a shot. Last time, I played it on a CRT with low ambient lighting. Now, I don't do anything without proper lighting, and I have a nice LCD.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
taylor, if your problem with HL2 is what I think it is, too narrow a field of view, it can be adjusted to make you less motion sick, a quick google will solve it for you. Portal even comes with a FOV adjustment right in the menu!.

X2. The first thing I do when I play HL2 is the following:
  1. Open terminal (~ key, needs to be enabled in options)
  2. sv_cheats 1
  3. fov 90
I get sick otherwise and I never have that problem with any other game, IMAX movie, theme park ride, etc. The default 75* field-of-view is just unnatural and annoying.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #27 of 44
Awesome! Thanks for posting this information. I just bought it.
biggrin.gif

This is a real bargain - I already had HL:2 but I have been wanting to play episode 1 & 2, not to mention Portal - for the longest time.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 44
Just wanted to confirm what others already have, and that this is a helluva deal at $10.

A few weeks back Best Buy had an offer for their Reward Zone members where you could get the actual disc versions of Orange Box, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Red Alert 3 for $10. I hadn't played any of them yet but had just built a new Core i7 system so I picked up all of them except for Red Alert 3. The Orange Box amazed me. Half Life 2 is by far the best FPS I have ever played. The facial textures are indeed amazing, but it's the story line which blew me away. So much effort and time went in to a story that added so much depth to this FPS. Simply incredible stuff. Episode 1 and 2 added to the enjoyment immensely. Needless to say I am on the edge of my seat waiting for HL3.

Included with the Orange Box is TF2 which I'm totally geeked out on now. The multiplayer action is just too fun with this one and the community of players is stronger than ever with amazing custom maps like Orange. I'm so absorbed with TF2 at the moment that I haven't even had the desire to try Portal yet. Playing with the Spy and Demoman are just too much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back