The Opamp thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4,366 of 7,383
I don't want to come off as abrasive, but I have to agree with Dingosmuggler.  Build a better amp with that money, no opamp will make a big enough difference.  A better amp will sound better than any cmoy with the burson opamp installed.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #4,368 of 7,383
Using a Prodigy HD2 DE (VIA driver 5.12.1.3656, no VIA software), I went from an old configuration of (2)AD797BR and (1) 627AU to new configuration of (2) LME49990MA and (1) 627AU. or without the 627AU LT1028ACN8 in the output (needs this adapter).  Listening with either ATH AD700 (open) or ATH A900X (closed).

For a point of reference, listened to Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat - Mary Shut The Garden Door - 2006 in FLAC  Wavpack via Media Player Classic and The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere - 2009 remastered from the original tape but well done for back in the day (1985-1987),  Hummin' To Myself - Linda Ronstadt - Hummin' To Myself - 2004  and a recent movie with Pitch Perfect (2012) Blu-Ray (DTS) 24bits, 48KHz sampling.

To my ears: LME49990MA beautiful on the mid and esp. high end. Lacks a bit on the low end but I prefer the detailed highs as there is much going on in that range. Compared to the old configuration the AD797BR has more low (bass) range and is missing an area between the upper mids and high range. LME49990MA covers the entire mid to high range with very good separation, details and clarity, bass is in the background somewhat but maybe the new chips will break-in, both headphones are broken in already.**

Because of LME49990MA clarity, I prefer listening with my AD700's staging and highs response, Most ATH always have good voice range, so no problems there.

Through my Klipsch Ultra 5..1 sub, the bass is very clean. So the jury is still out if  the LME49990MA is producing a more natural clean bass sound versus the AD797BR coloring the bass or highlighting it to much. Having the open headphones on with the sub on pumping out the bass is a real plus.

** Bass only slightly highlighted. More bass showing up after 10 - 20 hours of breaking in the LME49990MA chips, can't really explain it but just starting booming better but still has the cleanness in bass sound that I am not use to. Turned my AD700 into a well balanced headphone. My A900X are turning out to be very capable phones minus some staging of course.

Because the LME49990MA is my first opamp that was specifically tailored for music [Discrete? (according to the literature)] that I have used versus opamps that had other uses (ex. MRI machines or phone banks) but also worked with music and human hearing ranges, I am finding the LME49990MA a great sounding opamp, very clean sounds throughout even the bass range being clean is something different to my ears. 

The following opamps are all used on their appropriate dual adapter boards. LME49990MA stayed on-board and I only exchanged in the output socket. Because of the LME49990MA the output opamps I tried below have a great signal to work with and give good benefits depending what you prefer...
*OPA627AU in the output seems to add a little unnecessary color to the sound,
sounds better without them/it.
*AD797BR in the output, more highlighted bass now with the highs slightly more pronounced (owing to more hiss present in poor recordings) maybe a hair tinny in the highs.
*AD8066AR in the output favors the bass, not in bad a way but colors/puts its tone even on a hum of a bad recording. Nice if you like your bass sounds.
*LT1028CN8 in the output makes the bass sound a bit more believable but the very highs suffered (purchased this model by mistake).
*LT1028ACN8 in the output gives clarity and separation throughout the ranges causing great staging, favors the highs, lows slightly hidden in the background (my favorite output chip so far).

Some dual channels chips that didn't require an adapter board...
*NE5532N in the output makes no changes to the signal other than enhancements like turning up the volume across the entire range at once, very very clean sounding.
*LT1364CN8 in the output favors the highs and enhances the clarity along with staging with a little bass boost. Very clean as well (like its brother LT 1028CN8 above).
*AD827JNZ in the output favors the lows to mids, brings them forward and puts the highs in the background. Very strong and realistic lows with a trade off of losing some detail in the highs. (So far best at handling lows)

Listened with, AD700 and A900X headphones.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,370 of 7,383
I recently bought a BSC cmoy with a TLE 2082 op amp in it.

Anybody have a small list of op-amps that would pair well with this 9 volt version cmoy and my Grado headphones?

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #4,371 of 7,383
So today I built a cmoy, and it seams, at listening level and louder, it gets pretty distorted. I didn't use a socket, I soldered directly to the opamp. Is it possible that I fried the OPAmp by keeping the iron on too long?

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #4,372 of 7,383
That is one possibility.  Have you reflowed all solder joints not directly connecting to the opamp?  And when you reflow the joints on the chip, be sure to use copious amounts of flux to help disperse heat and avoid damaging the opamp.
Also double check the wattage and resistance of each resistor to make sure that you didn't damage them.
It would probably be better to start your own thread on the matter or post in a thread dealing with cmoy construction (that isn't terribly old).

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #4,373 of 7,383
Hello boys & girls
I was about to buy an Ibasso D12 amp (used) so I went ahead and ordered the opamp kit they sell on the official web site. The D12 deal fell through but I still got the kit.

My question: Can I use the opamp chips that comes in the iBasso opamp rolling kit (listed below) in a Cmoy V2 by JDS Labs?

ADA4841-2
AD8532
LMH6643
AD8656

Thanks for the help

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #4,374 of 7,383
Quote:
Hello boys & girls
I was about to buy an Ibasso D12 amp (used) so I went ahead and ordered the opamp kit they sell on the official web site. The D12 deal fell through but I still got the kit.

My question: Can I use the opamp chips that comes in the iBasso opamp rolling kit (listed below) in a Cmoy V2 by JDS Labs?

ADA4841-2
AD8532
LMH6643
AD8656

Thanks for the help

I would like to see the answer to you question also.  Don't have any of the amp/DAC you mentioned. The V2 being an amp, only has one output buffer socket which I would think it to be dual channel for stereo output. The Basso looks to be all single channel sockets because it has 4 op-amp sockets and 4 output sockets, 8 in total.

I think the chips you listed are all single channel chips for a buffer out socket. If I am not mistaken, you need a dual channel chip in the output socket for the V2.

There are other specific titled threads here or elsewhere that discuss the amp/DAC models you mentioned. I am sure they would know, probably fanatics about it.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4,375 of 7,383
All of those opamps that he listed are duals.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #4,376 of 7,383
Hey guys, I'm totally new to the world of opamps even though I've owned my Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G for a year or two now. I thought I might as well upgrade the front channel opamps just to get the best out of my sound card.

Based on what I've read, AD8066 or LME49860/49720 > LM4562?

I'm having difficulty looking for places that sell opamps online, I cannot find a single site that sells any. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place? Could someone link me up to a place that sells opamps online?

I also can't seem to find the AD8066 anywhere except from a sketchy Chinese seller on eBay which I would like to avoid, although the seller claims it's "100% original." I'm not interested in soldering so I simply want to be able to take out and drop in a new opamp.

Based on experience, AD8066, LME49860/49720, or any other newer offerings? 

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #4,377 of 7,383
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm totally new to the world of opamps even though I've owned my Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G for a year or two now. I thought I might as well upgrade the front channel opamps just to get the best out of my sound card.

Based on what I've read, AD8066 or LME49860/49720 > LM4562?

I'm having difficulty looking for places that sell opamps online, I cannot find a single site that sells any. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place? Could someone link me up to a place that sells opamps online?

I also can't seem to find the AD8066 anywhere except from a sketchy Chinese seller on eBay which I would like to avoid, although the seller claims it's "100% original." I'm not interested in soldering so I simply want to be able to take out and drop in a new opamp.

Based on experience, AD8066, LME49860/49720, or any other newer offerings? 

Cimarron Technology, Inc  is starting point for you, see the menu on the left.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #4,378 of 7,383
Quote:
Some dual channels chips that didn't require an adapter board.
*NE5532N on the output makes no changes to the signal other than enhancements like turning up the volume across the entire range at once, very very clean sounding.

Amazing as it is, the old NE5532 is the most well known, and used opamp for sound reproduction.

There are not one human being on this planet, that have not heard music thru one of these devices....

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4,379 of 7,383
Quote:
 Amazing as it is, the old NE5532 is the most well known, and used opamp for sound reproduction.

There are not one human being on this planet, that have not heard music thru one of these devices....

...and it's single brother, the NE5534.  The noise-selected ones were darn good in a mic pre with a JE-115KE transformer just ahead of it.  Still are.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #4,380 of 7,383
What op amps would go well with Senns?  Currently have a C&C XO with an OPA627 but find it a little too warm and up front.
I'll be using it with HD600s and need it in a DIP8 package @ 7V (Brown Dogged SOIC OK as well).

Been looking around and the AD8620 seems to pop up the most.  Also considering the LT1364.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back