The Opamp thread
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #2,626 of 7,383
A pin, lol.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #2,627 of 7,383
I indeed always have had very weird experiences w/ sockets+browndogs...it looks like a love/hate story
redface.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #2,628 of 7,383
While there might be better designs, I have no major complaints about using a pair of singles on the BrownDog 020302. Sounds better than a dual....

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #2,629 of 7,383
Why you wonder about the qualities of a adapter. I think browndogs are superb quality compared to these:
o93lf6.jpg

Those op amps sound cold and tight. Not much space, but good clarity. Bass is little light.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #2,631 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, time to move to single opamps my friend...duals always sound ugly.

ok you are right.
I had deep Class A biasing too on my PPAv2 (4 mA). I have read that it could cause op amps sound analytical and cold (majkel wrote this). I possibly remove that circuit soon.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #2,632 of 7,383
How come some of y'all use those dip sockets as adapters?
Way too much solder going on there. Doesn't that affect the noise floor?

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #2,634 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come some of y'all use those dip sockets as adapters?
Way too much solder going on there. Doesn't that affect the noise floor?

A socket shouldn't change the noise floor, or the sound, the slightest bit unless it makes it unstable. I think sockets are a necessity in the quest for the sound I'm after. If one roll opamps numerous times it will eventually destroy the PCB.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #2,635 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by diditmyself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of agree. The question is why this is so.

dual mono is always a wiser choice than stereo, one of the basic rules of hifi? we could look for reasons...but TI tried to amend it, yet failed big time doing so
k701smile.gif

Precision Amplifier - OPA1612 - TI.com
Quote:

The dual version features completely independent circuitry for lowest crosstalk and freedom from interactions between channels

makes you wonder about those quad opamps
biggrin.gif

to me cables and opamps take a lot of magical thinking, because they all interact and sound different depending on their surrounding...and pretty much noone can explain why
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #2,636 of 7,383
Quote:

A socket shouldn't change the noise floor, or the sound, the slightest bit unless it makes it unstable. I think sockets are a necessity in the quest for the sound I'm after. If one roll opamps numerous times it will eventually destroy the PCB.

I wasn't talking about the socket. -__-

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2,637 of 7,383
Quote:

I kind of agree. The question is why this is so.

A fact that was posted way back in the beginning of this thread but there is more to it.
Why? I think it has to do with isolation of the amplifers from each other.
There is more to it technically but that is it, in a nutshell.
I have been using dual single channel opamps in preference to dual channels for a long time. You will also find that many of the best audio opamps are single channel units.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #2,638 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't talking about the socket. -__-

If you were refering to the single Vs. dual channel comments. It really depends on the unit. For many opamps a dual single channel module will soudn better and possibly produce better results in comparison to a single dual channel module.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #2,639 of 7,383
I meant, doesn't that much excess solder affect the noise floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back