The Opamp thread
Mar 29, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #6,496 of 7,383
I have tried a few opamps, and noticed I like the lme49720ha and lme49710ha opamps more then the rest, the only amp I have that seems better is my v5i-d. I bought the lme49720 non metal can version and didn't like it as much and I was curious to try something else in to99 case, could you guys tell me what are the best opamps in to99 case?
:)
Opa627SM...
Opa627BM

But they costs...
You can try opa111AM or opa111bm ... They are quite cheap and 100% original from AudioJade. More cheaper are opa445BM... Chinees ORIGINAL amp9920AM is also an extraordinary piece of gear...
There are lots of others, but all the above I have or tried for a continuous period of time.

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #6,497 of 7,383
it's beautiful (the v5i)

massdrop do it cheap - twice now

i reckon it's better in the xonar hdav than the "big" v5 is, and will swap it back in shortly... unless the comparison is unfair because i have since the same time as i've started trying out the v5 have been listening to a valve headphone amp, and my expectations have lifted substantially

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #6,498 of 7,383
Was hoping you guys could help me out a bit, I was recently desoldering my favorite opamps (2×lme49710ha) so I can fix it to the proper adapter and 2 legs fell off (don't really understand how) I have tried the replacements but they really are not the same, I was thinking to give the muses02 a try but I would need to pay about $95 each and I don't feel it's really worth it, is there anything in the cheaper range that might have a similar sound to the dual lme49710ha?

And yea I checked the 627bm but that's allot more expensive

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #6,500 of 7,383
see above

a pair of v5i's from massdrop (when available) are worth a listen
the shipping alone would be the price of a nice opamp, I live in eastern Europe, and they are too big, cost too much, I do like the v5i but I all ready have one

Any other suggestions?

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #6,502 of 7,383
[...]I was thinking to give the muses02 a try but I would need to pay about $95 each and I don't feel it's really worth it[...]
ProFusion PLC UK, you pay online and they ship via DHL within Europe. i purcahsed 8 x MUSES01 from them and 2 x MUSES02 plus several other electronic components.

Optionally, if you're interested into V6 Classic, ping me and I might help.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #6,503 of 7,383
I never bought their's so cannot comment, sorry.
I sourced mine directly from AD and arrow.com, 100% genuine but refreshingly expensive.

“Refreshingly Expensive” isn’t that oxymoronic??

Why not just source it from AE or player.ru I hear they have great gear for cheap (homemade) and engineering on there for trading purposes is top notch! (I got a Zishan Ak4497 for ground experiments on there) It’s great.

Also why “Military Grade” AD 797 with even “better specs”?? Wouldn’t you need proper documentation to purchase those genuine parts as a US military contractor??

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #6,504 of 7,383
“Refreshingly Expensive” isn’t that oxymoronic??
"Refreshingly stale" would be, but even if it is??
A pair of AD797B from arrow.com is just under $20, about 10 times above the going rate for other opamps, but on the second thought I have bought Bursons and Muses opamps which were ridiculously expensive in comparison.
Why not just source it from AE or player.ru I hear they have great gear for cheap (homemade) and engineering on there for trading purposes is top notch! (I got a Zishan Ak4497 for ground experiments on there) It’s great.
I suppose "homemade" AD797 would be an euphemism for "fake" :floatsmile:
I wanted to insure that I'm buying 100% genuine brand new opamps from the same batch as for me it was mission critical.
I do buy opamps from ebay and AE (player.ru does not sell opamps AFAIK), including AD797 but it's a lottery as stated above.
Fresh example from yesterday: ordered AD797B from AE where lot clearly advertised as AD797B (including photos), they sent me AD797A - already opened a dispute.
Wouldn’t you need proper documentation to purchase those genuine parts as a US military contractor??
I would have NO idea, but I trust that authorised distributors are law-abiding and have appropriate control systems in place.
Having said that neither of AD797 grades are specced as military as its military grade has completely different code, 5962-9313301MPA (which comes in CERDIP package and is no longer in production AFAIK anyway).
Also why “Military Grade” AD 797 with even “better specs”??
As to why, AD797A produces 1.1-.1.2 mV DC offset, AD797B - 0.5mV, while it appears insignificant I don't mind 6dB reduction (or lack of clicks/pops when plugging headphones in). But CERDIP package would require separate PCB to mount opamps on and I doubt there would be much gain especially since bypass caps would end up miles away.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #6,505 of 7,383
"Refreshingly stale" would be, but even if it is??
A pair of AD797B from arrow.com is just under $20, about 10 times above the going rate for other opamps, but on the second thought I have bought Bursons and Muses opamps which were ridiculously expensive in comparison.

I suppose "homemade" AD797 would be an euphemism for "fake" :floatsmile:
I wanted to insure that I'm buying 100% genuine brand new opamps from the same batch as for me it was mission critical.
I do buy opamps from ebay and AE (player.ru does not sell opamps AFAIK), including AD797 but it's a lottery as stated above.
Fresh example from yesterday: ordered AD797B from AE where lot clearly advertised as AD797B (including photos), they sent me AD797A - already opened a dispute.

I would have NO idea, but I trust that authorised distributors are law-abiding and have appropriate control systems in place.
Having said that neither of AD797 grades are specced as military as its military grade has completely different code, 5962-9313301MPA (which comes in CERDIP package and is no longer in production AFAIK anyway).

As to why, AD797A produces 1.1-.1.2 mV DC offset, AD797B - 0.5mV, while it appears insignificant I don't mind 6dB reduction (or lack of clicks/pops when plugging headphones in). But CERDIP package would require separate PCB to mount opamps on and I doubt there would be much gain especially since bypass caps would end up miles away.

Haha, I saw a guy mod a Zishan with two CMOY pioneering with a Opa1622 packaged in VSSON from China to power a Zishan juxtaposed already established series PCB to run it parallel and waste valuable real estate that made no sense since you still need the series.

I dropped two Opa2189 SOIC in lpf which is MUX-friendly and also CMOS. Personally I find CMOS on their own exhausting to listen but powering a great sounding amp is amazing.

And here’s the kicker. The Opa2189 makes the digital fitlers pop and helps adjust electronical power issues that you may have with counterfeit circuits but of course folks go for the eye candy pics instead of listening to their ears. :)

I agree with you on the MUSES and Burson on being ridiculously expensive. I will say though the “Muse” caps are great sounds and you don’t have to break the bank for them. As far as “expensive” that’s all based upon demand, “hype” and marketing. It can also be relative when not comparing them to other op amps. It is however a huge difference if you are scaling it up as a major manufacturer putting out a device.

Burson is just wayyyy overpriced. I’m sure they are nice but is it night and day (I doubt it)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #6,506 of 7,383
[...]

I agree with you on the MUSES and Burson on being ridiculously expensive. I will say though the “Muse” caps are great sounds and you don’t have to break the bank for them. As far as “expensive” that’s all based upon demand, “hype” and marketing. It can also be relative when not comparing them to other op amps. It is however a huge difference if you are scaling it up as a major manufacturer putting out a device.

Burson is just wayyyy overpriced. I’m sure they are nice but is it night and day (I doubt it)

I've used 4x MUSES01 & 2x MUSES02 inside my ASUS Essence One MKii combo; I got a more pleasant sound with a bigger soundstage, also microdetails seemed better. I have removed when I did some tests and realised than MUSES01 used in I/V stage of this DAC introduced unwanted harmonics (not much, but still there). I had replaced the 6 opamps with NE5532 and LME49720.

I've used MUSES02 and SS V6 Classic inside my Matrix HPA-3B headamp and I got both better measurements and lower background noise over the originals LME49860. For HPA-3B both MUSES02 and SS V6 are totally recommended (it's voltage amplification stage in there). Also, MUSES8920 are OK as well.

Can you imagine a better opamp for the gain-stage of Objective2 than the original NJM2068? Well, with SS V5 I got an even lower background noise (tested with ears and scope @6.5X of gain).

If it worth the price paid for solid-states opamps is not my call, but all I know is that if you want no opamps in audio signal path, then you can replace them all with solid-state devices from BURSON or similar manufacturers. Although, I'm aware than >90% of existing audio records on Terra are done through at least a pari of 5532 opamps. :)

L.E.: Given the fact that these solid-state opamps are built in a very small quantity, and given the high quality transistors and "1% precision" resistors inside, I don't think anyone should call such "opamps" as being overpriced. Let's agree to call them expensive and just that. Feel free to read my review and inside pics of the SS V6 and you'll see how internal PCB and components look like.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #6,507 of 7,383
I've used 4x MUSES01 & 2x MUSES02 inside my ASUS Essence One MKii combo; I got a more pleasant sound with a bigger soundstage, also microdetails seemed better. I have removed when I did some tests and realised than MUSES01 used in I/V stage of this DAC introduced unwanted harmonics (not much, but still there). I had replaced the 6 opamps with NE5532 and LME49720.

I've used MUSES02 and SS V6 Classic inside my Matrix HPA-3B headamp and I got both better measurements and lower background noise over the originals LME49860. For HPA-3B both MUSES02 and SS V6 are totally recommended (it's voltage amplification stage in there). Also, MUSES8920 are OK as well.

Can you imagine a better opamp for the gain-stage of Objective2 than the original NJM2068? Well, with SS V5 I got an even lower background noise (tested with ears and scope @6.5X of gain).

If it worth the price paid for solid-states opamps is not my call, but all I know is that if you want no opamps in audio signal path, then you can replace them all with solid-state devices from BURSON or similar manufacturers. Although, I'm aware than >90% of existing audio records on Terra are done through at least a pari of 5532 opamps. :)

L.E.: Given the fact that these solid-state opamps are built in a very small quantity, and given the high quality transistors and "1% precision" resistors inside, I don't think anyone should call such "opamps" as being overpriced. Let's agree to call them expensive and just that. Feel free to read my review and inside pics of the SS V6 and you'll see how internal PCB and components look like.

It’s funny you mentioned the high quality transistors as I always bring up Moore’s Law with many audiophiles and they don’t get the principle behind microprocessing and WHY it’s hard to replicate original chips without a huge budget and why patent laws to protect them from foreign jurisdictions that don’t follow international IP Laws like China is important for quality control and things like National Security.

(It’s because of this that I can really appreciate how in-depth your review is in regards to Bursons SS with magnified pics to illustrate their quality )

It’s just my opinion. Bursons justifies their price by saying that it’s “R&D” cost over a span of years of research per op amp and I'm sure because they aren't a huge company so it cost a lot to scale up on production.

I agree with you about records and gear. I've noticed that the better the op amps shows flaws in some recordings. It actually makes me sad because even the crappiest new records are made better because of digital and DAW advancements.

The solid state argument. I really can't say if it's better than tube amps as I don't have ANY experience in them.

Op amps are also used in effects pedal in guitars and yet there is also software that can achieve almost exact sound fx so even in that argument I have no experience but algorithms in software are getting pretty close if not better than physical pedals no matter what “stock” op amp is in a soundcard. The stock tend to be cheaper since soundcard makers don’t want to pay a premium price on a op amp since it would effect on price on the customer so they will often go on the cheap end that would explain noticing a considerable different when op amp rolling.

There is so many divisions of “sound” these days like games prefer certain sound cards for multi-channel purposes so it becomes very complained and it isn't fair to say that one all purpose amp solves everyone’s needs or on every application you intended to use a particular one!

My schtick with Bursons Is that I refuse to pay for them. I can't justify paying an extra 100+ on say two avids v6 when the difference isn't as noticeable with their competitors who have been at it longer and more experienced with a larger line and with more options to choose from. So I can get 30+ for the price of two Burson V6 Avid or classic. I’d rather spend that money differently. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #6,508 of 7,383
Has anyone tried the M3 Customs (Phillipines) opamps that are spin offs of the AD8066/Dibil? I want to buy the best ones as they have four now.

If I bought all four (which may be a waste of money to do) it would be about $75 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #6,509 of 7,383
One pair of SS V6 duals costs about 130 USD, a pair of dual Sparkos costs 160 USD and a pair of Sonic Imagery 994Enh-Ticha Dual 188 USD! So, quite expensive, although the Burson still provides the "cheapest" high-end solid-state opamps, after all.

BTW, I asked once NJR/JRC why the MUSES01/02 are so expensive? They nicely told me that it's not just a simple marketing gimmick, but more related to the production costs, because MUSES01/02 (and newer 03) are manufactured on their own dedicated production line, apart from regular opamps, and using a different Q&A process. All of the above are delaying a lot the time to manufacture each of these products, hence the much increased price.

A well-designed DAC or amplifier, with a very good ground plane and a low-noise power supply should perform admirable with most audio , starting from NE5532/5534 (also, I recommend JRC5532DD/JRC5534DD, which outperforms the NE5532/NE5534 in all aspects) to OPA1622, OPA627, AD797 or similar.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #6,510 of 7,383
I have tried a few opamps, and noticed I like the lme49720ha and lme49710ha opamps more then the rest, the only amp I have that seems better is my v5i-d. I bought the lme49720 non metal can version and didn't like it as much?

What other opamps did you compare those with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back