The Opamp thread
Mar 16, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #6,481 of 7,383
Also the fact AD made those AD797 "military-graded" with different name and marking, not "AD797SQ".
AD797 has been in production for a few decades now, but it's possible to find old datasheet that clearly mentions cerdip package (and does not have a mention of more modern SOIC variant):
http://www.om3bc.com/datasheets/ad797.pdf
AD had a range of military grade opamps that they coded completely differently, those I believe had even better specs (at least as far the temperature goes), but were just re-marked, no difference in actual design.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #6,482 of 7,383
Hello. Sorry for the silly question, but why everybody solderring an electrolytic capacitors to the OpAmp pins? Why not taking a good "paper in oil" or smthg like that, that are much more sound friendly?

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #6,483 of 7,383
Hello. Sorry for the silly question, but why everybody solderring an electrolytic capacitors to the OpAmp pins? Why not taking a good "paper in oil" or smthg like that, that are much more sound friendly?

Physical space is one consideration also they are often there for high frequency bypassing, etc. which IIRC isn't a strength of paper in oil types also there is generally a sweet spot for stability ESR wise - going too low actually isn't necessarily a good thing especially depending on proximity to some regulators.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #6,484 of 7,383
Paper-oil caps are for audio-use, for power-use MLCC, tantalum or high ripple & low ESR caps are more appropriate. For opamp power pins bypassing you need to respect manufacturer's recommendation (usually MLCC and low ESR electrolytic).

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #6,485 of 7,383
AD797 has been in production for a few decades now, but it's possible to find old datasheet that clearly mentions cerdip package (and does not have a mention of more modern SOIC variant):
http://www.om3bc.com/datasheets/ad797.pdf
AD had a range of military grade opamps that they coded completely differently, those I believe had even better specs (at least as far the temperature goes), but were just re-marked, no difference in actual design.
I just bought an Audio Jade AD797BR. Is that the best one (BR)? I heard it is?

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #6,487 of 7,383
I never bought their's so cannot comment, sorry.
I sourced mine directly from AD and arrow.com, 100% genuine but refreshingly expensive.
My AJ opamp was also expensive. Almost $30. I should have bought it from a better source but Ebay works better for me. But too many fakes...

The one I ordered previously from someone else on Ebay was defective and they were like, "We will just send you another." I knew right then and there it had to be fake since Audio Jade's is $30 and I paid $15.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #6,488 of 7,383
The one I ordered from someone else was defective and they were like, "we will just send you another." I knew right then and there it had to be fake since Audio Jade's is $30.
Fair enough, unless you buy directly from AD or official distributor it's a bit of a lottery.
I have some horror stories to tell about 797s and 627s I've got from taobao, at least they were dirt cheap.
I also bought some genuine 797s from tao and ebay, dirt cheap too (being AD797 funboi I can tell genuine from fake just from sonic signature).
I do eye those ceramic cased AD797SQ ones on tao, the only issue I will struggle to fit them in my DAP as they are slightly taller compared to plastic DIP.
Having said that I don't mind playing this lottery at all, actually just bought black/white 797s from ebay AND ali, from my research AD used this colour scheme in early 2000s, so may be NOS, may be fake.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #6,489 of 7,383
My AJ opamp was also expensive. Almost $30. I should have bought it from a better source but Ebay works better for me. But too many fakes...

The one I ordered previously from someone else on Ebay was defective and they were like, "We will just send you another." I knew right then and there it had to be fake since Audio Jade's is $30 and I paid $15.

did you pay $15 for one or two?

100% genuine one is $12 on arrow.com;
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/ad797brz-reel7/analog-devices

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #6,490 of 7,383

Hello. Audio Jade is a good and trusted source. I personally made several orders there and the quality was always on top.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #6,491 of 7,383
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #6,494 of 7,383
I have tried a few opamps, and noticed I like the lme49720ha and lme49710ha opamps more then the rest, the only amp I have that seems better is my v5i-d. I bought the lme49720 non metal can version and didn't like it as much and I was curious to try something else in to99 case, could you guys tell me what are the best opamps in to99 case?

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #6,495 of 7,383
I have tried a few opamps, and noticed I like the lme49720ha and lme49710ha opamps more then the rest, the only amp I have that seems better is my v5i-d. I bought the lme49720 non metal can version and didn't like it as much.
I'm one of those dummies who has bought every other opamp except the v5id. I've spent more money than its cost times two or three or four times yet I still havent bought it. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back