The Opamp thread
Dec 7, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,056 of 7,383
Hey Mike,
well I seem to be in the middle of messing around with this again. I do love the teflons on there but look at how ridiculously huge they are
eek.gif
. I actually had to support them with electrical tape on my sound card so they didn't accidentally fall out. Size aside, I am going to test those out again, along with some other new additions..

Hey Spud,
I am really curious if you will hear much of a difference on the Lycan if you bypass the opamps with silmics. Silmics are what are already being used for the power supply as far as I can tell on the lycan. When your caps come, can you also test the opamps in your Fiquest to see if it behaves similarly or differently?

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #5,057 of 7,383
Hey Mike,
well I seem to be in the middle of messing around with this again. I do love the teflons on there but look at how ridiculously huge they are :eek: . I actually had to support them with electrical tape on my sound card so they didn't accidentally fall out. Size aside, I am going to test those out again, along with some other new additions..

Hey Spud,
I am really curious if you will hear much of a difference on the Lycan if you bypass the opamps with silmics. Silmics are what are already being used for the power supply as far as I can tell on the lycan. When your caps come, can you also test the opamps in your Fiquest to see if it behaves similarly or differently?

Understood and I definitely will test both and report back, well if the Simlics ever get here :rolleyes:

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #5,059 of 7,383
I did, yes. It is amazing in every way but will have limitations due to its form factor....

Anyway enough of that for now! Santa came today, woohoo...

Firstly my Simlic II's came today so I wasted no time soldering them up. Listening with 49990 at the moment but have a dual AD797BRZ Module and 2 X ADA4627's waiting in the wings. Too early to evaluate as I literally only just finished brushing the flux off :D

I must find a way to fit the Burson V5 into my Fi-Q. Maybe make a DIP socket with extension wires and lay the V5 where the battery usually sits for home/transportable/vacation use at least.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #5,060 of 7,383
Hey Mike, I'm good pal thanks...

I'm still awaiting my Simlic II's
rolleyes.gif
I'll definitely report back ones I have tried them on the 49990's. If you want me to solder one up for you with caps just shout me, I'm quite nifty with my soldering iron
biggrin.gif
I have a few dual modules lying around.

The nice thing about the Lycan is that rolling is soooooo simple and even those modules in your post above will fit...

That's very generous of you, thanks!   When I make up my mind what I want exactly, I'll order the parts and send them to you.  Until then, I'll be following the action here, to see what you guys come up with.

Thanks!

Mike

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5,061 of 7,383
  Hey Mike,
well I seem to be in the middle of messing around with this again. I do love the teflons on there but look at how ridiculously huge they are
eek.gif
. I actually had to support them with electrical tape on my sound card so they didn't accidentally fall out. Size aside, I am going to test those out again, along with some other new additions..

[snip]

I suppose I'd rather have the case of my PB2 closed, than leaving it open to accommodate huge caps, but I'm willing to put SQ first.  :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #5,062 of 7,383
Hello pelopidas,

Awesome work!
Do you run 3x 49990 with the silmics on your card? Or is it some other combination on the buffers and I/V?

I just recently did my first solder and want to try this mod. I'm running 3x49990s DIP8-adapter on my essence stx now. I guess I can just copy you technique and see how it goes :) This are the correct capacitators: Elna Rfs silmic II 10uf 25V 10mfd audio Capacitor?

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #5,063 of 7,383
Hi vegards,

I switch between 2x AD797BRZ in I/V and LME49999 in buffer and then back to LME49990 in all three positions. Both combinations are really good but have a different soundstage. Detail resolution is about the same on both but the feel is different. The majority of the time goes to the LME49990 though. I do have Silmic II 10uf on both I/V and buffer.
As a side note, I have some Nichicon Muse KZ 10uf and Panasonic FC 10uf here now. Just waiting on the green Bipolars to arrive so I can begin the testing with those other caps. I also have Cerafines and Panasonic SEPF sitting here. I will put them all head to head and see what I see.
Don't let this put you off of just going with the Silmic though. I am not sure that these are completely neutral, but what they do is really really good.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #5,064 of 7,383
I find FC relatively neutral, a bit dry, and rather thin in sound but at least bass is real nice out of it.  I love how treble comes out with KZs.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #5,065 of 7,383
http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread/5040#post_12132253

Since I have zero soldering skills, would anyone be interested in selling a quad AD797 or the LME49990?  I would love to compare give them a listen through my Apache and Lycan.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #5,066 of 7,383

Burson SS V5 Opamps

For those of us who are not electrical engineers who can build entire systems from scratch, but love music and love playing around with our gear, we are basically limited to opamp rolling.
Here are a list of opamps I have played with. The jellybean JRC 2114D that originally populated the Xonars. The opamp that first started the drive to find something better.
Sure, the Xonar sounded better than any onboard audio but it wasn’t perfect. Something was missing. And so now we have threads with thousands of posts where we recommend this or poo-poo that. And so I bought some OPA2107, some 134’s, some LME 49720’s, some, NJM4556's, some 49860’s and then some 49720HA and some 49710HA and some 49713HA (for my headphone amp, not the Xonar) and some 827’s and some 627’s and some LT1363’s and some LT1028 and some LME49990 and even the 5534’s and of course the AD797 and many more that just went in for a short while to come out and be forgotten again.
The process of elimination left me with the AD797BRZ and the LME49990 as the best  all-around opamps. However, they both sound anemic unless bypassed with a 10uf Silmic II which is, for me, now a standard practice with those two opamps. They have good detail retreival, good soundstage and no weird tonal issues such as sibilance or flabby bass. I figured, this was as good as it got with the equipment I have.

Well, as Ronda Rousey learned, there is always something out there that just kicks more ass.

After reading about discreet this and discreet that for too long without ever trying it, the time was ripe to see what discreet is all about.

The unboxing

The Bursons are well packed in a custom protective case for safe transport and storage. 

Makes you feel like you are holding something special. They are tall but don’t really have a much
larger footprint than a regular browndog adapter.
They both fit side by side on in a Xonar.

How do they perform?

Out of the box, they are peaky and will quickly fatigue you. These, per the manufacturer’s recommendation, need a minimum of 100 hours of burn in. I hate waiting….

Fast forward two and a half work-weeks of burn-in and it’s time to start listening and comparing.

What you will notice first are the details. They are clear, they are everywhere.
I attribute this virtue of the Bursons to their speed. They resolve everything – perfectly. To hear the shimmer on the cymbals in such exacting detail is fascinating. It sucks you into the music.
At first it seems like work to listen so closely to micro details that you haven’t heard before but before you know it, you are just staring off into eternity swaying to the music.

Take Kat Edmonson  “Just like Heaven” as the best cymbal example of this. The cymbals are left and right and the clarity that the Bursons provide give it a more pure, metallic and melodic presentation.
Another Kat Edmonson example would be “I don’t Know”. I always thought this was a type of afterthought recording because the brush on the snare was just too “shhh” and low-fi sounding.
That’s not what is going on.
With the Bursons, you hear one of the musicians slightly coughing. I have never heard that before. You hear the creaking of a chair that someone is sitting on. You hear each strand of the brush as it is being pulled over the snare drum.

Secondly, there is a sense of space. There is a 3D aspect that starts with the instruments. The 49990 soundstage is much like an oval. The 797 is more like a pyramid or trapezoid.
It feels closer to the ear with straight walls and this is one of the reasons why I prefer the 49990 to it. Both those opamps have a soundstage that is big enough to place all instruments where they belong, like pictures on a wall.
I suppose Bas Relief would be a better description. You hear the instruments coming from the wall, etched into the wall.

This is where the Bursons really add something I have not experienced yet.
There is no soundstage per se. There are no walls. The instruments are in the correct location but standing in space and you can hear not just the front of the music but the back too. I don’t know how to put this experience into words. We all know that artificial soundstage of the 49720 where things feel pulled apart wider than they should be. Well, the Bursons sound wide because there is nothing behind the instruments. No perceived limit. It’s like looking up at the stars in the desert on a clear night. If someone is standing 10 feet from you in a room with their back to the wall playing the guitar or standing 10 feet from you in the desert under the stars, the distance from the music to you is the same but what’s behind it is different. This is felt more in acoustic recordings than electronic.

This also can bring the music much closer. Some opamps put the music in your head, these put you in the music.
Listening to Kat Edmondson you expect to feel her breath as she sings to you. Seeing how I love Kat this is a great experience.  Sometimes this can be .. interesting.

As you guys know from my previous posts, I have started adding 10uf capacitors to the opamps to try to mitigate any shortcomings they might have. I believe one of these shortcomings are in the capacitor choices that were made by manufacturers when they put the DAC, Soundcard, Headphone amp… whatever together. The power that is fed to the opamps is like the raw ingredients that go into cooking. Either you use the best and freshest you can find or you used frozen and canned. The cook is the opamp. No matter how good the chef, if the ingredients are not great, the result is not great. 
So with the AD797 and LME 49990 I found that Elna Silmic II 10uf is what is needed to bring out the best. This gave it a black background, better dynamics and much better bass. I love good bass.

Silmic on the Bursons?

I did not want to start soldering onto these beauties, especially since I need to put on and remove the caps multiple times to verify what I am hearing. So I just took a dip8 adapter and soldered the caps to these. This way I can have it on and off in just seconds.

While the Silmics were a night and day difference, and all for the better with regular opamps, this is not cut and dry with the Bursons. The SS V5 already has great bass. I mean really, really good. Tight, dynamic and basically perfect. But the effect of the Silmics is inconsistent here. On some songs it turns up the bass from 10 to 11. On others it does nothing. However, it does soften the treble a bit. It’s not removing detail, just making it softer and so these are nice quick mods to have available for recordings that are too hot or fatiguing for one reason or the other.
It’s the chill-pill. If you have HD800's you will probably want to try this for sure.
Another beautiful quality of the Burson SS V5 is how it handles both male and female voices. The entire range is available. Silky, squeaky, husky, smokey and natural. The details and dimensionality of the Bursons almost puts a face to the voice you are hearing.
Sibilance has always been an irritation for me and in the beginning of my amp building and opamp and cap rolling I was trying to eliminate it. However, it is oftentimes in the recording. One cannot say “silly sandwich” without producing it. But how the opamp treat those sounds is what matters. The Burson does not create sibilance that is not on the recording, and it does not hide it either.
I find the LME49990 with Silmics does mask the sibilance superbly but I have not yet had the desire to run the LME49990 again compared to these.

Here are some interesting observations with and without the Silmic on the Bursons.

James Blake: Overgrown

Silmic: Very lush. You can feel the bass in your chest. Vocals are not near, they are on you, in you. This is very close and intimate and for a happily married hetero male, almost uncomfortably close
wink.gif
, but if you want to be sung to and wrapped into the music this is the way to go. This really is a very remarkable experience.
No Cap: Beautifully articulated bass. It is tight. Instrument separation is perfect. The voice is moved back just a bit compared to the silmics. There is a touch more sparkle at the very top.

James Blake: To the Last

No Cap: The bass is completely extended. This song has a percussive “tick” that on lesser opamps is just kinda there. On the Bursons it has a specific location and even extension into space. The rasp of James voice is so detailed.
Silmic: The percussive “tick” is less sharp and feels less extended into space. There is less air and depth. The soundstage is smaller than without caps. The rasp is still detailed but less sharp. 
On this song silmics do not improve the music.

Blue Coast Collection #1: Looking for a Home

Silmic: Guitar left and guitar right. The sound is full. Voices are distinct at 12'00 and 2'00
No Cap: Just a tad bit lighter, cooler. More background ambiance.

Yo-Yo Ma, The Goat Rodeo Sessions: Attaboy

Silmic: Very warm and musical.
No Cap: Lighter. Cooler, tempo feels just a bit faster.

Thievery Corporation, Saudade: Meu Nego

No Cap: first time I have ever heard noise from the needle on the record. At first I was thinking there is something wrong with my connections. Checked connections. Checked that opamps were properly seated. Checked that headphones were plugged in correctly etc.. until I figured out I am hearing needle noise from one of their samples in the recording.
Silmic: The needle noise is still there, but muted. With regular opamps I hadn’t really ever paid that much attention to it and am not sure I was even aware of the needle sound.

The equipment I am running here is a Xonar as DAC going to a variation of The Wire as headphone amp. The wire is a very simple design that has an opamp for I/V and then is followed by LME49600 as buffer. I run mine at +- 15V. This then goes to the HD650 manufactured in 2014. There are a few interesting observations that need to be mentioned here. My headphone amp with LME49990 produces about 1mw of DC offset on the right and 2mw on the left channel. Perfectly acceptable.
With the Burson in I/V it produces 0.01mw offset. That’s amazing and hats off to the Burson engineers.
Another is that it is deathly silent. I thought the LME49990 was silent but comparing it to the Burson there is the faintest of background noise on the 49990. However, the Burson is just .. nothing.. no difference between on and off.
At this point I need to give props to the HD650. These scale incredibly well. All this detail that the Bursons are digging up is there. An incredible sense of air and space unlike any lesser phones I had tried. I have looked over my shoulder more often during this evaluation, thinking I heard someone walking or saying something only to find out that its part of the recording.

So what are the downsides?

Size is one. This will not fit in a small enclosure. I currently have the side pulled off of my computer and the Bursons are sticking out. This means that I can’t close this case until I get a bigger case because I have no intention of taking the Bursons out again.
Price is another. These are not cheap. However, they are worth it. If I look at my opamp collection, I have spent at least a few hundreds of dollars on these little buggers over the years. (I really hope my wife never reads this post) One single LME49713HA on Digi-Key costs $11.78 right now. And I went through 4 because they are difficult to work with and I killed the first pair. That’s just one model.
So what am I saying? If money is tight, then start with at least one SS V5. The most important one is in the headphone amp. After that, the most important position is the I/V of the soundcard.
If you need to go all the way, get the buffer for the soundcard last. This is an interesting observation. The LME49990 in buffer passes on the magic of the Bursons in I/V just fine but it can’t seem to produce it on its own in the dac or headphone amp.
What is it like to go back to regular chip opamps? The AD797 feels cramped and the LME49990 sounds grey. Don’t beat me with the “Andrea stick” but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t. When I put the 49990 in the headphone amp everything is just a little flatter, a little less exciting in comparison. Don’t get me wrong, the 49990 and others do sound really great. I was almost completely happy with those for a long time. But the Burson SS V5 is significantly better. This does not mean that my opamp rolling days are over. Now the quest is to find what is better than the Bursons, but at this point, I don’t know where to start looking.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,068 of 7,383
Wow!  I was expecting a show-stopper price for those V5 duals, but they're only $130 a pair!  That's cheap!

http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/

If it sounds like I've lost my marbles, you're right - I paid $150 a pair for genuine Muses 02, from Mouser.com and can't get rid of them even at $75 a pair, so I decided to keep them - even though I'm not using them.  Ugggh!

At least the Burson V5 comes with a 30-day guarantee and a lifetime warranty.  I'm in!

Here's a rough mock-up of what the PB2 might look like once I've cut holes in the case for the V5 duals to protrude:

A crude drawing, and I think the Burson V5 might stand taller out of the case, but that's what I'm thinking of doing.  I've already got an extra case for the PB2, purchased a long time ago for only $20 (top and bottom), with the idea of drilling vent holes for cooling.

I noticed that Burson sells a pair of 35V 220uf caps for $10 and their DIY page suggests a wide range of possible values.

What argument can you make for selecting 10uf caps instead of 220uf?

I will follow your lead, believe me - I'm just wondering why 10uf.  

Thanks!

Mike

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #5,069 of 7,383
That actually looks kinda cool having the towers poke out like that. I don't have any skill working with metal, so if you do that make sure to take pics so we can see how you do it
About the 10uf... That was just experimentation. I tried it with a big ass 1000uf a 470uf and then a 10uf. Adding more than 10uf did not improve things. The reason I think, and this is just speculation, is that the sound card already has sufficient capacitance but that the capacitors don't have good sound. Putting a cap right on the opamp "flavors" the power that is already available. Also, I have read enough data sheets where they recommend around 10uf near the opamp for stability so that seemed like a good starting point. I tried small foil caps and only noticed an effect in the upper treble so there needs to be enough current available to move the bass notes too. 10uf seems to be enough to affect the full spectrum.

My headphone amp has 1000uf + 390uf + 10uf in the power supply portion. Then each opamp position has 470uf, so there is more than enough capacitance. This is just a flavor thing.

I have always been hesitant to drop that kind of money on the muses. I hear they are all kinds of superlatives but that money is hard to justify to the wife. Why is it that you are not using them? How do they sound compared to the 797 or 49990?

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #5,070 of 7,383
Thanks pelopidas,

I really like your reasoning for use of 10uf caps, so I'm comfortable with that.  

If I like the sound of the V5s well enough to keep them beyond the 30-day guarantee, I won't hesitate to put that extra case to good use, but I wouldn't dare attempt to cut rectangular holes in it myself. I can very precisely mark where I want the holes, but I have no metal working skills. I would take it to a proper machine shop.
tongue.gif

It's a job a good machinist can do in his sleep for something like $25 to $50, without scuffing or scratching the case beyond cutting the holes. I'm even thinking of having the edges of the holes bevel-cut or quarter-rounded. That could send the cost way up, so I'll have to see what quotes I get before getting too crazy.  
biggrin.gif

I'm really glad I have an extra case, as they are probably unobtainable now that the PB2 has been discontinued.

Regarding the Muses 02, all I can say is that I much prefer the LME49990 (used with dummy buffers). Like everything else in audio, I had to buy the Muses 02 to audition them, but I found them to have too much color for my tastes and they take the resolution down a notch, as heard with the HD800. (I've never heard the Muses 01, but after wasting $150 on the Muses 02, I'm too chicken to throw another $150 down the drain, experimenting with JRC's offerings.)

I'm a detail hound and even though the OPA1612 offers even more detail than the LME49990, it's too much for the HD800 and almost too neutral, too, if that makes any sense.

2x OPA1612 with dummy buffers in the iBasso PB2  
(This is too neutral and too detailed for the HD800 - almost "crystaline" - but I like it a lot with the HD650. Using HA5002 buffers with the OPA1612 is a stunning solution for the LCD-2 rev.1. My opinions, of course.)

For the HD800, the LME49990 has been "just right" in the I/V stage, though I wish it had a bit more bass, but everything I've tried in the buffer stage, including more LME49990s...

8x LME449990 in the iBasso PB2  
(I don't like this combination with any headphone.)

...gives me more power, that I really don't need with the HD800, but LME49990 as buffers also brings down the resolution. Seriously, it's subtle, but there's nothing more transparent in the buffer stage than dummy buffers.  If I need more power (more current) for the LCD-2, the HA5002 are about the best I've found for use as buffers, but I still prefer the sound of dummy buffers with headphones that have better resolution than the LCD-2 can deliver.  The one exception is perhaps when using the LME49990 with LT1028ACN8 buffers - a combination I like for the HD800, where the LT1028ACN8 softens the HD800 a lot less than the HA5002.  (I'm looking forward to trying dummy buffers vs. LME49990 buffers with the Burson V5s.)

Not having decent soldering skills, I've never heard any of my op-amps with caps applied, but as I wrote earlier, I won't hesitate trying my hand at soldering them to some DIP8 sockets, as you did for the V5s. I have about 20 of those to spare, so I can make a mess and try again, many times over, with as many caps as it takes to get it right.  LOL   (About the only soldering I do with any frequency is for adding connectors to DC power cables and such.)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back