The Opamp thread
Apr 30, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #7,172 of 7,383
new to op amps, if my portable amp has a section for a dual opamp and a section for 2 single op amps, can i mix them? meaning 1x dual and 2x single?
If you mean that it takes 3 opamps in total, then you probably want to keep the 2 singles equal to each other

and the dual you can be something different from the singles.

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #7,173 of 7,383
If you mean that it takes 3 opamps in total, then you probably want to keep the 2 singles equal to each other

and the dual you can be something different from the singles.
yeah, 1 dual and 2 singles, read the manual and the amp maker advised not to combine, so i guess i'm going for either 2 singles or 1 dual :) is there any consensus op amp models that are known for being better than others? sorry for the amateur talk, but i'm super new to this, my amp opamp section can accept 8 pins (4 on both sides) and does not have much room for a tall op amp (apparently those exist!), for example something like this:
31KH38zr5eL.jpg

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #7,174 of 7,383
yeah, 1 dual and 2 singles, read the manual and the amp maker advised not to combine, so i guess i'm going for either 2 singles or 1 dual :) is there any consensus op amp models that are known for being better than others? sorry for the amateur talk, but i'm super new to this, my amp opamp section can accept 8 pins (4 on both sides) and does not have much room for a tall op amp (apparently those exist!), for example something like this:31KH38zr5eL.jpg
I would start by posting what opamps are installed originally. That might help direct which way to go. And search, if you haven't already, for those opamps to see comparisons people posted. Will give you some ideas. That's what I did.

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #7,175 of 7,383
I would start by posting what opamps are installed originally. That might help direct which way to go. And search, if you haven't already, for those opamps to see comparisons people posted. Will give you some ideas. That's what I did.
it uses MUSES01 op amp, i'll be honest the amp actually gives really, REALLY good results, just wondering if i could take it even higher :) i've heard good things about the burson v5id

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #7,176 of 7,383
it uses MUSES01 op amp, i'll be honest the amp actually gives really, REALLY good results, just wondering if i could take it even higher :) i've heard good things about the burson v5id
I dont have experience with the muse but have seen online that they are pretty good. If you have the money to buy the burson v5i dual and see if you like the change. Remember its not just the opamp, but how does it match with the rest of the amp and the headphones you're using.

Good luck

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #7,177 of 7,383
I dont have experience with the muse but have seen online that they are pretty good. If you have the money to buy the burson v5i dual and see if you like the change. Remember its not just the opamp, but how does it match with the rest of the amp and the headphones you're using.

Good luck
yes thank you, i might mod the casing and get the big v6 in there :)

May 9, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #7,180 of 7,383
1D4527DA-E6FF-4644-A102-9C889E139881.jpeg

Just did my first op amp roll into my Burson 3X GT. I got 2 x dual SS2590’s in the volume control buffer stage, 2 x SIL 994 Enh’s in the input buffer stage and kept the V6 Vivids in the voltage stage.

Made quite a big improvement IMO. The two most obvious differences I’m seeing are detail retrieval, way more of a neutral sound and better impact. I haven’t tried any other combos so far but glad I took the leap and decided to do this. Really liking the change in sound

May 11, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #7,183 of 7,383
question, what op amp has the biggest soundstage?

and wondering, are class A op amps good?
Class A is an amplifier topology, so there's no such thing as a "class A device," rather it's whether the device is operating in Class A mode.

I think this is what you meant, and my opinion is yes, the couple of examples I've heard with opamps in Class A amps are superb.

Tho, I still prefer opamps for voltage gain purposes as opposed to using them as an output stage coupled to transducers.

May 11, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #7,184 of 7,383
Class A is an amplifier topology, so there's no such thing as a "class A device," rather it's whether the device is operating in Class A mode.

I think this is what you meant, and my opinion is yes, the couple of examples I've heard with opamps in Class A amps are superb.

Tho, I still prefer opamps for voltage gain purposes as opposed to using them as an output stage coupled to transducers.
thanks!

May 11, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #7,185 of 7,383
question, what op amp has the biggest soundstage?

and wondering, are class A op amps good?
Soon we will see more Class D Hi-End solutions than ever before.
This topology of amp if very power efficient and small according to A and AB class devices but also it's more difficult to run it sound as good as A but it's possible, especially using modern parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back