The Opamp thread
May 27, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #6,031 of 7,383
Thanks for the Funk links, FritzS. Never seen so many measurements for the LME49610, quite an impressive output buffer indeed.

Another proof that higher impedance headphones might do a better pairing with a headphone amplifier than lower impedance ones (A-weighted: 115dB @200-600 Ohms vs. 110dB @32 Ohms, across 20-20.000Hz). Also, Tyll's PDF measurements show a more linear phase for high impedance cans too.

May 28, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #6,033 of 7,383
I think this really depends on what equipment you are using. I have an Asus Xonar and nothing comes close to what Burson V5 can do there. However, in my headphone amp the OPA2209 is the current king.
What equipment are you running?

May 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #6,034 of 7,383
I think this really depends on what equipment you are using. I have an Asus Xonar and nothing comes close to what Burson V5 can do there. However, in my headphone amp the OPA2209 is the current king.
What equipment are you running?
I have a Walnut V2S, Zishan Z1 and Z3 and various earbuds, IEM's and headphones including a Superflux 668B. Nothing too expensive, all budget gear.

Which headphone amp are you speaking of?

May 29, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #6,035 of 7,383
I have one or two Opamps to try but think I have found "The One" in Muses01. I know it's expensive but nothing else gets so much right. My listening sessions are getting longer and longer.

Has anyone tried OPA1622? I've ordered a couple but just wondering if anyone has any experience with them...

May 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #6,036 of 7,383
I have one or two Opamps to try but think I have found "The One" in Muses01. I know it's expensive but nothing else gets so much right. My listening sessions are getting longer and longer.

Has anyone tried OPA1622? I've ordered a couple but just wondering if anyone has any experience with them...

I assume you are aware the 1622 isn't just a drop in like regular opamps? and requires a couple of external components, etc. and being VSON isn't DIYer friendly.

Think we talked about it recently in this thread but I can't recall if you were part of that conversation or not off the top of my head.

May 29, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #6,037 of 7,383
s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, I guessed it was a little different but there is some positive stuff on other forums. This is what I have ordered...

May 30, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #6,039 of 7,383
I assume you are aware the 1622 isn't just a drop in like regular opamps? and requires a couple of external components, etc. and being VSON isn't DIYer friendly.

Think we talked about it recently in this thread but I can't recall if you were part of that conversation or not off the top of my head.
I bought the same 1622 like SpudHarris I want to put mine in a Zishan/Walnut portable music player. Are you saying I can't use it in those because I need some other parts?

What would I need?

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #6,040 of 7,383
Have you compared the 01 to the 8920? Some people prefer that one and it's only $20 US

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #6,042 of 7,383
I bought the same 1622 like SpudHarris I want to put mine in a Zishan/Walnut portable music player. Are you saying I can't use it in those because I need some other parts?

What would I need?

If you bought the same thing as he has bought then it is already assembled on a breakout board with the additional components - I'm curious how well it works though as I believe the IC requires a ground connection and it seems they've simply used a resistor divider on the board.

The 1622 is more designed to be used as an application specific implementation kind of like the TPA6120 rather than dropped into a circuit designed for an opamp - but it can be made to work in place of a regular dual opamp.

May 31, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #6,043 of 7,383
Hi All

I just swapped a opa2209 into my zishan z2 and the volume has dropped significantly... can anyone tell me what I may have done wrong. I soldered the chip onto a dip8 adapter myself... do I do something wrong?

Everything seems to sound ok ... just waaay lower in volume...

Thanks and much appreciated!

:)

May 31, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #6,045 of 7,383
Only thing I can think of is that you've bridged the output and feedback pins resulting in the amp working without gain but a bit weird if you'd managed to do that on both channels.

To clarify, you mean the solder is running across two pins?

I'm pretty sure its clean, but will double check. I am getting sound from both channels as well... could it be that I soldered the chip in backward/reversed?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back