The Opamp thread
Mar 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #3,377 of 7,383
Unless I miss my guess, your adapters have a spot for external V+, V- and Gnd connections.
You Gnd connection gives you more bypassing options than a regular adapter. For values,
220pF through 1uf should be the range to try. Which value works best will be up to the
circuit and the Op Amp. The size looks the same as the SMD caps in the package in
the background.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3,378 of 7,383

Quote:
They are bypass caps. They are soldered to pins 4 and 8.

The cap is attached directly to the +/- power rails? I thought you needed a pair of them, with each side going to ground.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3,379 of 7,383

Both bypassing methods can by used. Some chips respond better to rail to rail bypassing
and some better to rail to ground. Circuit design also factors into which method is better
as well.

Quote:
The cap is attached directly to the +/- power rails? I thought you needed a pair of them, with each side going to ground.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #3,380 of 7,383

Quote:
I bought some very expensive adapters with spaces for smd caps etc but I'm lost just looking at them haha

I would like love me some of those.  Where they at? 
atsmile.gif

Also, ISL28110 is real nice.  Need to spend some time with it and compare to HA-2525 and 28127/55001.
After that comes OPA209.  I gave it a go for a couple of minutes right before trying out 28110, but I'm already guessing a comparison of 209 vs. 827 and 4081 will be pretty unfair.  Who knows, I'll get around it later.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #3,381 of 7,383
^ A little while back when I was actively rolling I tagged onto an order that ''Qusp'' was placing. To be truthfull I thought they would be a little less complex :frowning2:

I have singles and duals + loads of smd and film caps to go with. Make me an offer!

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #3,382 of 7,383
I wanted the link so I can bookmark it for later, really.

Quote:
Both bypassing methods can by used. Some chips respond better to rail to rail bypassing
and some better to rail to ground. Circuit design also factors into which method is better
as well.

Any general trends as far as when they respond better to one way or another?

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #3,383 of 7,383

Quote:
Hello

I have an Asus Xonar DS, with a JRC5532 opamp for front/headphone output.

The headphones I'm using are Philips SHP9000s (32 ohm, but otherwise inefficient and very finicky with amps, a meier corda arietta drives them beautifully, they sound about on par with HD595, but I'm not willing to pay that much)

The trouble i'm having, other than the low volume, while driving the headphones directly from the soundcard, is a kind of "volume drop" for a moment after any bass beat, drum hit, stuff like that.

Could I solve that by changing an opamp? Is it likely to be the opamp or the capacitors? The opamp is DIP8 socketed, so if I'd know that changing it would solve smth, I'd try that first. But with what? Also, would another opamp solve the volume problem as well (with no other circuit modifications)?

I've seen some knowledgeable electronists here, hope someone has in idea. Thanks.

I just replaced my 5532 Op-Amp with an LME49720NA ($6.60 on eBay) on my Xonar DS. which seemed to improve the sound.
You can try something more fancy, dual 49710HA on a TO-99.

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #3,384 of 7,383

Personally, I think it has more to do with the quality of the ground.
If your ground is not so strong (like a virtual ground) then you might
be better off with rail to tail bypassing but if your ground has a very
low impedance then I think rail to ground is preferred. It is something
else to experiment with.

Quote:
I wanted the link so I can bookmark it for later, really.

Any general trends as far as when they respond better to one way or another?

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #3,385 of 7,383
TI to acquire National Semiconductor

Dear valued customer,

I am excited to let you know that TI has signed a definitive agreement to purchase National Semiconductor, uniting two industry leaders that have a common commitment to solving your analog needs. I want to reinforce TI's commitment to you, our customer, as we merge our two companies.

This acquisition will allow us to address your analog needs with a product portfolio of unmatched breadth and depth. National's 12,000 products plus TI's 30,000 means more performance, power and packaging options when selecting the right ICs for your application. And we'll provide a common set of best-in-class online tools to make the selection and design process easier.

Our combined sales and applications team of 2,500 will be larger than any in the industry so we can provide more customers with greater face-to-face support than ever before.

Our manufacturing operations will offer more capacity to support your growth. TI's fabs and National's available capacity can enable higher production levels.

While both companies will operate independently pending the close, our goal thereafter is to make the integration process as seamless as possible. No requalification of products will be necessary since National's manufacturing sites will continue to be utilized. Part numbers from both companies will remain the same. There will be no obsolescence of products.

I'm excited about what the integration of our two companies will mean for you: an unmatched portfolio to meet your analog needs, an extensive sales and applications network to ease the design process, and manufacturing capacity to support your growth.

You can learn more about the acquisition at www.ti.com/acquire, including answers to frequently asked questions and video messages from TI leaders regarding the acquisition.

Thank you for choosing TI. I look forward to a great future together.

Best regards,

Rich Templeton
Chairman, President and CEO
Texas Instruments

So ... what do we need to expect about this?

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,387 of 7,383
Oh wow.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #3,388 of 7,383
Have both the muses01 and muses02 in a jdslabs cmoy.
$75 dollar opamp in a 60 dollar cmoy...

I have quite an assortment of opamps. including a bunch of linear technology( lt1355, 1361, 1364), burr brown 2227, opa2107, analog devices ad823, national lm4562. the muses are better than all to me.

the muses02 has a bass heavy note, and the muses01 is more neutral. Both sound very natural and organic to me. Both seem to be able to cover the whole frequency range very well as opposed to the rest of the opamps (with the exception of the TIs and the national, although the national picks up noise from nearby electronics too easily). CMOY with either muses opamps is better than the ALO RX MK2 I think. However, the ALO is more dynamic.

the muses01 seems to be clipping sometimes in the cmoy due to requiring more juice than what the 9v cmoy can supply. I can't imagine what it can do with a higher voltage.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #3,389 of 7,383
Bipolar, eh?
Expensive as hell, indeed.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #3,390 of 7,383
Can anyone recommend an opamp compatible with the Audio-GD Fun that has the detail and balance of ada4627-1brz, but with more of an "airy" soundstage? I really like the textured and dynamic presentation of ada4627-1brz. Micro details are brought to light, instruments seem to have more body and are more distinct, and drums in particular have more impact. It's a really good pairing with the HD650.

Unfortunately, my Audioengine A2s don't fare as well. The speakers aren't resolving enough to show how good this opamp really is in the Fun. The layering that's apparent through headphones is lost and what's presented is a congested mess. I'm using the Earth hdam at the moment and its balance and airy soundstage is fantastic with the A2s. It's very good through the HD650 but is a little too polite for my taste. I did prefer the warmer Moon hdam with the HD650, but that doesn't go well with the inherently boomy presentation of the A2s (although synergy is better than with the ada4627-1brz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back