The Opamp thread
May 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #3,406 of 7,383
OPA134 
wink.gif

May 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #3,407 of 7,383
I was just reading about the really fast LM6171 the other day. It has a high input bias though. No idea it it'll work with the TPA6120.

The datasheet uses OPA134.

May 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #3,408 of 7,383
Would AD8599 be low enough?
I know TPA6130A and ADA4841 have really good synergy together (Fiio E5/7).
Assuming TPA6120 is similar to 6130 in sound.  4841 almost sounds like 8599/8597's twin.
If not low enough bias, then perhaps THS4082/4081?  TLE2141/2142?
Then ADA4627-1, which is lower input bias than the rest of these, as well as the best-sounding.  Well, to me it is.
Oh, and OPA1641/1642.

May 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #3,410 of 7,383

Quote:
Looking for opinions.
Which amp would serve as a good input buffer for the TPA6120?
Most amps specs seam pretty pale compared to the TPA.
The input buffer amp should have a low input bias current.
This sounds like a job for a JFet amp but Bi-polar is possible
to if it has low input bias. Singles would be preferable but duals
could work too. I was thinking OPA827 (I can't afford OPA627)
or maybe LME49990.

Thanks

Edit: I guess it goes without saying that it needs to be unity gain stable...

Multiloop composite amplifiers can improve the technical performance of both the input and output amplifiers - think the (locally much abused) concept of "synergy" - the premise of this thread that rolling amps for different "sonic flavors" in some hardware designed by someone else is not relevant if you're designing/building for yourself and can use more sophisticated circuit topology

the TPA6120 is better than a Buffer chip as output amp in a Multiloop composit amplifier because the TPA allows for gain in the loop - further relieving the input amp of work, actually increasing the input amp linearity as well as increasing loop gain

May 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3,411 of 7,383
Yes, I agree. I was considering whether or not to use a single or a multi-loop
feedback but I think I will try it multi-loop. I'm looking for more of a "lack"
of sonic signature. My goal is just to accurately reproduce what was recorded.
As the TPA has a high input bias requirement, it is best driven from from a
buffered input or low impedance source. Seeing as I cannot predict what the
amp may be hooked up to, it is best to buffer the input. I'm just looking for
the best chip for this buffer that will match the TPA's high specs.

Quote:

Multiloop composite amplifiers can improve the technical performance of both the input and output amplifiers - think the (locally much abused) concept of "synergy" - the premise of this thread that rolling amps for different "sonic flavors" in some hardware designed by someone else is not relevant if you're designing/building for yourself and can use more sophisticated circuit topology

the TPA6120 is better than a Buffer chip as output amp in a Multiloop composit amplifier because the TPA allows for gain in the loop - further relieving the input amp of work, actually increasing the input amp linearity as well as increasing loop gain

May 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #3,412 of 7,383
Guys,
what opamp should i use to drive iems? mine are the RE ZEROs, also going to use the amp with the RE0s.
i need transparent and bassy (in separate opamps) here.
Thanks

May 5, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3,414 of 7,383
The manufacturers data sheets are full of nice charts and specifications...

Quote:
Are there any frequency response charts of opamps?

May 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #3,415 of 7,383

Quote:
Guys,
what opamp should i use to drive iems? mine are the RE ZEROs, also going to use the amp with the RE0s.
i need transparent and bassy (in separate opamps) here.
Thanks

What amp?

May 6, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3,416 of 7,383
A CMoy, buffered and not buffered.also a Mini^3 if opamp rolling is possible there.

May 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3,417 of 7,383

Quote:
Personally, I think it has more to do with the quality of the ground.
If your ground is not so strong (like a virtual ground) then you might
be better off with rail to tail bypassing but if your ground has a very
low impedance then I think rail to ground is preferred. It is something
else to experiment with.

Those are my opamps, it's funny seeing them linked 100 pages later
ph34r.gif

About the caps... i wanted a bypass as close to the ICs as possible. You might bypass to ground on the adapter, if the negative/positive inputs of the opamps are grounded in your circuit (they are not, in mine). So it's not just what's better, but what's doable.
There are bigger(0,1uf) bypasses to ground under the pcb as well. As to why did i do it... well, it won't hurt that's for sure, and i wanted to eliminate any chance, that my opamps start oscillating because of the power supply, since i don't have the tools to measure (and debug) it.

May 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #3,418 of 7,383
After spending a lot of time listening to OPA627 on my M³, I plugged in Browndogged OPA1641's. 
In general I would say it's an improvement for most genres, with the highs now a little less harsh and the mids more forward it gives an overall more balanced sound. 

Not sure I would recommend OPA1641 over the OPA627 for electronic music, though. The OPA1641 doesn't come near OPA's 627's precise and hard bass. The highs seem less harsh/tiring, but at the same time miss the pinpoint accuracy of the OPA627. Electronic sounds muddier as a result.

Would love to hear some other opinions!

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #3,419 of 7,383
I have a Firestone Fubar III amp/dac on the way, with stock opa2604 in the amp module, and lm4562 in DAC. I'm hoping I could get some recommendations to upgrade the stock opamp.

* Power - 24V 0.5A Auto-switching

This will be my first amp/dac unit, and l will be using it with Denon D2000, through mac mini.
I'm looking to tame the somewhat strident highs of D2k, bring out the mids, improve the soundstage, and harness the bass (i.e. increase speed and impact); in other words, looking for synergy.

My only consideration so far is the dual opa627 combined on a single PCB (note: this has been tested and recommended/sold by "audiophileproducts.com" -- North American distributor of Firestone audio), possibly with a class A biased mod; although not sure whether this will yield any perceivable improvement with my modest setup. From I understand, it seems to be an improvement for Matrix M-Stage.

Any suggestions.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #3,420 of 7,383
OPA2111 or OPA2107? Got some 2132's on order, so far tried the LME49720NA's, the 4562's, the LT1364's and the 2107's. These all seem like the most popular going around these parts nowadays, what's people experiences with the different sorts of sounds from these OPAMP's mentioned? I am primarily interested in use for speakers, but this forum seems to be the best for OPAMP advice regardless whether it be for headphones or for speaker playback. I like one's that have a nice boring and flat yet fairly detailed sound and precise soundstage to them as the rest of my gear is very neutral and will put through what is sent to it without colouration.

Also has anyone tried the OPA1612's or OPA1602's yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back