The only downfall of the HD600's
Sep 26, 2003 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MusicLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I know to some, this may not be a bad thing. But I just got a cd and started listening to it (a pretty slow cd) and in about 15 I nearly fell asleep. There's nothing wrong with having a laid back and relaxed presentation, but these seem to be too relaxed. I don't want to get tired when listening. Does anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Can mods change the title to "The only downfall of the HD600's"? Thanks.

Sep 26, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 7
What was the CD? You said it was pretty slow... do you fall asleep listening to livelier, more dynamic stuff on the HD-600 too?

What's been bugging me a bit lately (HD-580) is the low-bass emphasis (~100 Hz or so)... on too much music I can hear a sort of background "rumble" that almost sounds like a turntable motor... I think it's air blowing across the mics used for recording.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 7
i listen to music late at night when all chores are done and my wife and kid are asleep.

sometimes i am really listening to get myself sleepy listening to relaxing music so i think i do get sleepy - In mY case.

sometimes its too late or early in the morning - so i too get sleepy.

Sep 26, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 7
This happened to me with really bad recordings (mostly rock ones, but some cheapie $5 classical CDs too) when you hook the 600s up to a fine amp / CDP.

I find that better recordings are usually more lively on 600s.

My current CDP is really aggressive (NS500V) so I never fall asleep.

The HD600s have a very accurate bass response which extends effortlessly to the lower limit of my hearing; lots of older recordings which were not produced for full-range equipment exhibit weird booming sounds (Jascha Heifeitz playing the Bruch No. 1, Scottish Fantasy, and Vieuxtemps in 1960, for example).

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 27, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

fewtch: What's been bugging me a bit lately (HD-580) is the low-bass emphasis (~100 Hz or so)... on too much music I can hear a sort of background "rumble" that almost sounds like a turntable motor... I think it's air blowing across the mics used for recording.

If the output impedance of your amplifier is higher than 10 or 20 ohms the HD580 will suffer from sloppy, exaggerated mid-bass, but I think you're hearing something different again. I have heard a similar strange effect when wearing the HD580's and it turned out to be traffic noise of a certain frequency. The HD580 has a huge impedance peak at about 110Hz where there is almost no mechanical damping in the transducer.

Try turning the volume down low and see if that effect isn't due to the interaction of traffic or other environmental noise with HD580 resonance.

Sep 27, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I have found that listening when I am tired or stressed almost always makes me sleepy. Especially if the music is melodic. I look at it as a good thing most times as it is a way to unwind after a hard day. I find my daily frustrations melting away when I listen in the early evening. Makes me easier for the family to tolerate.

Sep 27, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by j-curve
If the output impedance of your amplifier is higher than 10 or 20 ohms the HD580 will suffer from sloppy, exaggerated mid-bass, but I think you're hearing something different again.

Yes, this is definitely low bass, not mid-bass.
Quote:

I have heard a similar strange effect when wearing the HD580's and it turned out to be traffic noise of a certain frequency. The HD580 has a huge impedance peak at about 110Hz where there is almost no mechanical damping in the transducer.

Try turning the volume down low and see if that effect isn't due to the interaction of traffic or other environmental noise with HD580 resonance.

Thanks, will do. I've got an amp upgrade somewhere in my future (perhaps a Headsave Ultra), altho I don't think the Creek OBH-11 with a proper power source is bad at all combined with the 580s... still, things could be better. Would like to talk to Tigger and get one of the Ultra optimized for the HD580/600, if it's possible to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back