the 'one word amplifier review' game
Jun 11, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #17 of 27
Supreme - Cool

JMT CHA47-Gutsy

Sijosae Chumoy- Amazing

STAX SR001 MKII- Missed!

MG Head - Groovy!

Posted in the order in which I received and sold them (well, Sold some of them).

And here is a pic of my itty bitty Sijosae.

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 27
X-Cans: mellifluous
RA-1: clean

Jun 11, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #20 of 27
2channel- You're lucky; don't ever sell that Sijosae Cmoy, because he dosen't sell them anymore.

Actually, I don't think he ever did sell them. He told me i was the only one to ever get one. I guess I was just at the right place at the right time, and he needed some stuff he couldn't get where he lives. he is a super guy and has sent me other goodies since.
It's cool cause it's so small, yet powerful![size=xx-small](thats what she said!)[/size]
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 27
have heard:
Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL : midrange
AudioValve RKV : Authority
Cary SEI : thick
Creek OBH11 : thin
Corda HA-1 : neutral
EAR HP4 : balanced
Grado RA-1 : dark
HeadRoom Little : overrated
HeadRoom Cosmic : elegant
HeadRoom Maxed Out Home : average
HeadRoom Max : extreme
HeadRoom Blockhead : overkill
Homes Powell DCT-1 : murky
JMT CMoy : value
McCormack Micro Intetrated Drive : textured
Melos SHA-1 : sweet
Orpheus : seduction
Stax 212 : limited
Stax 313 : articulate
Stax 007t : sluggish
Wheatfield HA-1 : eh

have not yet heard:
Antique Sound Labs Twin Head : excess
Antique Sound Labs UHC Signature : experimental
Berning microZOTL : f'ugly
Gilmores : potential
META42 : interesting
Stax 717 : default

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #23 of 27
I realize the heading of this post says "one word" reviews.

I was hoping that those who said the X-Cans are fussy please expound on why you think so.

I got mine for Fathers' Day. I'm still teaching it how to sing (break-in, identifying what types of music it works well with, etc.). I'd like to learn what you folks have found out.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Electrocompaniet Signature Ampliwire/ASL UHC Signature: stunning

I think this forum needs some "many word" reviews of the UHC Signature paired with high quality speaker amps.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I guess we shouldn't distract Hirsch from his R-10 research. Anyone else?
Pretty please?

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:58 PM Post #25 of 27
rtsy,

Although I didn't use the word, some people don't like the sound of the X-Can. I think that part of the reason is that it is very sensitive to associated equipment. I think this is true of a lot of equipment that reaches for high-end performance, and IMO, the X-Can v2 is a true high-end piece hidden in an inexpensive body. The sound can be greatly affected by interconnects...more so than some amps. An increased power supply really helps fill out the sound. Although the X-PSU is no longer made, it appears that a decent 12vac 4500 ma power supply is available at hosfelt.com that will do the job. Finally, replacement of the tubes really alters the sound of the amp. The better the tubes, the better the final sound.

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:06 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I think this forum needs some "many word" reviews of the UHC Signature paired with high quality speaker amps.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I guess we shouldn't distract Hirsch from his R-10 research. Anyone else?
Pretty please?

I'll stick in a couple of words. I only heard the UHC one time, and haven't tracked one down yet. The Electrocompaniet amp I use is a statement piece from one of the top designers in audio. And there are a lot more designers working in speaker amplification than headphone amplification, sadly. If someone has a quality speaker amp, the UHC can be the bridge for using such an amp to drive headphones. What it has to do is transform the signal from the speaker amp to something a headphone can use without melting down or degrading the signal. Once it can do this, and IMO it does, then we greatly increase the options for quality headphone amplification. We're no longer restricted to specifically designed headphone amps, but can tap into the work of designers who have not yet moved into this area. The is my long-winded way of agreeing with daycart1 that we need to hear more of how the UHC sounds paired with some of the really good speaker amp designs out there.

Jun 20, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #27 of 27
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
rtsy,

Although I didn't use the word, some people don't like the sound of the X-Can. I think that part of the reason is that it is very sensitive to associated equipment. I think this is true of a lot of equipment that reaches for high-end performance, and IMO, the X-Can v2 is a true high-end piece hidden in an inexpensive body. The sound can be greatly affected by interconnects...more so than some amps. An increased power supply really helps fill out the sound. Although the X-PSU is no longer made, it appears that a decent 12vac 4500 ma power supply is available at hosfelt.com that will do the job. Finally, replacement of the tubes really alters the sound of the amp. The better the tubes, the better the final sound.

[/size]

I agree Hirsch...

My X-Can V2 has had some torrid times, gathering dust at one point, but now ~ overall as a component of my 'new' system, it is pretty damned amazing... especially since the tube roll
biggrin.gif

Although strangely, it seems to pair better with low impedance phones
confused.gif
confused.gif

okay, so that was more than one word...
wink.gif

anyway, my 'word' of wisdom:

QED MB45: Hissy
X-Can V2 (tuberolled): Gracious
JMT CHA47: Classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back