The one thing that keeps me away from headphones...
Mar 20, 2006 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
...are the cups. I mean, I really want the AKG K701, but what happens when the cups wear out? What about all the other headphone cups? Are they to be worn to tatters, then thrown out
confused.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 13
Well, they might still be useful for tea then...
Kidding aside, the big names in headphones (think Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic) tend to have pretty good support in terms of spareparts, not infrequently for 15+ years (or even longer, depending on how popular a model was - you can still buy HD414 earpads today, and that was a 1968 model which was sold until 1979 and very popular in its day). Earpads, headbands or padding, drivers, spare cables, that pretty much has the most common failures covered. (Earpads and related foam parts tend to be changed most frequently, followed by cables.)

Edit: As an example, you can still buy earpads and replacement cables for a Sennheiser HD540, which came out in 1985 and was their top dynamic headphone back then. Earpieces with drivers are out of stock though, but then how likely are drivers to fail on 15+ year old cans...

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
[size=x-large]AKG K1000 = No Cups!!![/size]

Meh, good point lol

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 13
You cant just stop buying things because they may break someday. Headphones are so cheap compared to speakers,and people spend much more on those,and they can break down too. If your $99 headphones break,,fix them or buy new ones. Also when they break,it gives you an excuse to mod them.
wink.gif

Ive had my Fostex T20RP headphones for over 20 years and theyre in decent condition and i still use them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 13
Most headphones dicussed on head-fi are pretty durable. For instance, one reason people hate the Bose Triports and MDR V*** series is that they break WAY too often.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 13
Just throw 'em out and buy new ones...or wash them.

If you buy the new Beyers off their site, one of the options is spare pads.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
Most headphones dicussed on head-fi are pretty durable. For instance, one reason people hate the Bose Triports and MDR V*** series is that they break WAY too often.

...and their sound is not comparable to other cans that fall into their respective price ranges.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 13
DIY!!!

A little suede, a little cotton padding, some thread, and a needle.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 13
The other side to this coin, obviously, is the inevitable upgraditis that will happen to you that sees you probably parting ways with whatever cans are in question before any of these "concerns" come into full bloom anyways.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
just replace em

It's as simple as that... I don't see what the fuss is.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
The other side to this coin, obviously, is the inevitable upgraditis that will happen to you that sees you probably parting ways with whatever cans are in question before any of these "concerns" come into full bloom anyways.
wink.gif

yup
biggrin.gif
And even if you do happen wear down the earpads because you're a one-can-kinda-guy, you have options already mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back