The one question that no one will/can answer?
Dec 19, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mrwinick

100+ Head-Fier
The question is 'If I'm willing to spend $300-$500 on a dac, what should I buy and what improvement will I notice over my emu0404 usb?

There is an amazing amount of information for people who want to find 'better' headphones and an equally astounding amount of information for people who want to find a 'better' amp. More importantly, for both headphones and amps you can find information for the best way to spend $100-$200, $200-$400, $500-$750, $1000-$1500, etc. There are actually more 'levels' than that. For DAC's, though, there is relatively little information. A healthy amount if you want to spend $100-$200. A healthy amount if you want to spend around $1000 (benchmark, lavry, belcanto). Very little information if you want something in between. Yes, there are a few posts about mhdt paradisea and constantine, msb link Dac, certainly more about OMZ, but not much more than that. More importantly, while there are so many posts comparing the qualities of amps and headphones to different amps and headphones in their own price range as well as across price ranges, there is very little in the way of direct comparison between dacs. Why is that?

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 13
enoyin-that link is just a list of dacs along with a link to their manufacturers. Post 51 was instructive:

"Very nice thread!

Not a realistic idea cause it's so subjective, but wouldn't it be nice to rate the DACs and some small description of the main sound character plus pros et cons."

there is no direct comparison between dac's (with their strengths and weaknesses) anywhere, which is unlike the situation with both headphones and amps.

It is unfortunate in a forum where so many have as their motto 'source first' that there is so little comparison between dacs.

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 13
The reason why people haven't reviewed many $400 dacs is that it's VERY equipment and ear specific. For the most part, I don't find that $400 dacs sound any better than $200 dacs. The only exception is the pico, and that's $500, not $400. I'd imagine the headroom dac is probably pretty darn good at that pricepoint too, but I haven't heard it. But really, if you're spending $400, you'll get more bang for your buck upgrading your amp or your headphones. Source upgrades mostly start helping at a significantly higher price point.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 13
I haven't heard the benchmark or its $1k competitors, but I have heard many of the $200 dacs, and my new $700 hr ultra microdac is a vast improvement over them. I'm not going to write a full review, but I'm sure someone will at some point.

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 13
I agree with n4k33n about the headroom ultra micro. I have compared it to the XFi Elite, Spitfire, and Lavry Black DA10. I find it to be head and shoulders above the $200 DACs, and competes very well with the $1K DAC.

One could debate the fine points of different parts of sound quality, but I "prefer" the Headroom Ultra Micro Dac sound the most currently.

Comparing DACs can be difficult, as folks tend to sell their old dac as they upgrade, the new dac they get may not be fully broken in before they divest themself of the old dac.

You will find a lot of "impressions" (like mine right here), and a few hardworking souls who do spend the time to do side by side comparisons in a quiet location using different types of music. I do seem to remember a big sticky of a list of DACs, but have no idea how current it is. Pick a few names in your price range and search, search search. If you live in a bigger city, you might can even find a fellow headfier who has something you might could take a listen to.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 13
n4k33n and bones13--Thank you for your comments about the micro dac. Very helpful.
If you could very briefly describe what it is that you prefer about the micro dac that would be great. More clarity? Less veil? tighter bass? soundstage? Anything would be helpful.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 13
a DAC is just a chip that probably costs a couple bucks, which is why we have stuff like alien DAC.

looking at a DAC as an 'integrated system'...

DAC1 for example
converts digital signal to analog (coax, optical, AES) > XLR and RCA
it does this exceptionally well

it has the benchmark HP2 headphone amp built into it.

it's a preamp

it is a balanced source

no wonder it costs >500 because it's the whole system in 1 box. The Lavry da10 which has an even better built in amp. The headroom stuff is all upgradable. I think there's different modules you can add or subtract to get the features you will use (usb/toslink/premium dac). Powersupply upgrades and all, but no built in amp.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of a question no one will answer, I have my own too: I have sent 2 private messages to a head mod here and the owner of the site + 2 special "contact us" forms about Head-Fi sponsorship and no one is replying to me. How long does it typically take to get a reply? It's been over a week.

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump.
This is beginning to really bug me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back