The old question again <600 euro, what is the most suitable AMP for AKG K701?
Jun 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ATHED

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

Sorry for posting the same question which appeared hundred times, currently I have a integrated DAC AUNE X1, it do have a Amp itself. But for K701 it's obviously insufficient, I use a Macbook pro + Amarra to output optical digital signal to the AUNE X1, it do performance good at piano solo or light music, but for Rock and Electronic all the mid-frequencies seem to be messed up (although the high-frequency part seem to be ok).

Personally I prefer to enjoy the soundtrack of films or games and pop music with my K701, so it really annoying to feel upset when listening to the most passionate part of a BGM only to find  that the sound of mids are all tangly.

I have heard that K701 has a wonderful performance on WA6SE (by Dubstep Girl) and Audiovalve RKV MK2 (It more like a country myth in my motherland), but they are all above 1000 dollars. And although currently I studied in Germany, I have never had a chance to listen K701 with RKV MK2.

I do heard K701 with SAC K1000, but I am not satisfied with this combination cause all the girls's voice part seems to be aging and which is intolerant for me. Other combination, such as with Lehrmann are also not good.

So back to the question again, are there any class A (tube or hybrid) desk amp can make K701's mid performance more clear and separated? And it should also below the price 600 euro?

Really thanks for your sincere help,

ATHED

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 10
Try the AMB M3 amps, these are among the best amps I have ever heard with K701 :)

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your advice, I have searched for it, about 650 euro on ebay.de, but I heard from different viewers that K701 performance better on Class A tube amp. And AMB M3 is a DIY product, I wonder where I can find a chance to try it here......

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Some users prefer it with tubes/hybrid , others will prefer K70X on SS amps like SPL Auditor/Phonitor etc

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Some users prefer it with tubes/hybrid , others will prefer K70X on SS amps like SPL Auditor/Phonitor etc

Well, I think this is the reason why there is not a conclusion on which amp is better for K701, and by the way how to set the Current using:, and Had:? 
I am just new here

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Well, I think this is the reason why there is not a conclusion on which amp is better for K701, and by the way how to set the Current using:, and Had:? 
I am just new here

Profile , near the end of the page :  "your forum signature" , edit signature .

Altering sound signature with amp to match your preference is not easy at all , their are many amps that work well with K70X depending and user's taste . Have you consider another headphone ? or using EQ to see if it can help a bit ?

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Profile , near the end of the page :  "your forum signature" , edit signature .

Altering sound signature with amp to match your preference is not easy at all , their are many amps that work well with K70X depending and user's taste . Have you consider another headphone ? or using EQ to see if it can help a bit ?

Well seems something wrong for my profile functions ( I can't find any place to edit my information except for my photo), but never mind.

Yes, I do tried other headphones such as DT 880 , HD650, ATH-ESW9, and in a fun club I have the honor to try the lengend AKG K1000 and almost all the series of AKG (including K3003). I have to admit that I love the neutral and airy performance of the AKG headphones. DT880 may performance better when you enjoy a symphony, but once you experienced the broad soundstage of both K701 and K1000, you know that you can not let them go.

In current situation I do not intend to replace my K701 with any other headphones, but may be in the future K1000 well be a better choice, cause I do love the broad soundstage and the wide range of sound field.

EQ do help a lot, my Amarra settings also reflect my fancy. Reduced bass, wide mid-frequency, and a little bit restricted high-frequency (I have to admit that K701's high-frequency is a little bit to much for me). Although I do listen to Rocks ("Born to run" is my favorite), bass is just not my love. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Well seems something wrong for my profile functions ( I can't find any place to edit my information except for my photo), but never mind.

Yes, I do tried other headphones such as DT 880 , HD650, ATH-ESW9, and in a fun club I have the honor to try the lengend AKG K1000 and almost all the series of AKG (including K3003). I have to admit that I love the neutral and airy performance of the AKG headphones. DT880 may performance better when you enjoy a symphony, but once you experienced the broad soundstage of both K701 and K1000, you know that you can not let them go.

In current situation I do not intend to replace my K701 with any other headphones, but may be in the future K1000 well be a better choice, cause I do love the broad soundstage and the wide range of sound field.

EQ do help a lot, my Amarra settings also reflect my fancy. Reduced bass, wide mid-frequency, and a little bit restricted high-frequency (I have to admit that K701's high-frequency is a little bit to much for me). Although I do listen to Rocks ("Born to run" is my favorite), bass is just not my love. 

hum your profile being new it has some limited options , it will unlock with time .
Hum ok so K701 seams to feat your taste pretty well , but it's not very common to reduce bass with K701 ^^ , well i just can say good luck in finding an amp that match your expectative with K701 , peraphs not an easy task ...

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Yes, you are right it's never a easy task, I will keep looking for whether there is a second-hand Audiovalve RKV MK2 or not, but even if I found one currently I can not afford it.

Again sincerely thanks for you help, have a nice day~~ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back