The Official Violectric V200 Owner's Club / Appreciation / Discussion Thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #76 of 123
2 meter long RCA cables shouldn't be a concern except if you live in an electromagnetic hell with interference coming from all sides.  What's more worrying are the pops/crackles when you use the Vio's volume control; it's obviously not supposed to do that and a problem with the pot could potentially explain your volume issues.  I'd advise to first connect a CD player and see what happens (leave the pregain on +6dB).  If the problem persists, I'd send a mail to Violectric, I alway got an extremely quick reply when I did so.  Is this a new unit you purchased?  Perhaps something got shaken loose during transport, I dimly recall reading somewhere about a similar issue.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #77 of 123
I purchased this unit from a fellow head-fi'er, it was originally bought in the spring of 2013 so should still be under warranty...

I shall investigate further. Not an optimal situation to be in. :frowning2:

Thanks again for your insights!

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #78 of 123
Does the noise occur even without any cables/equipment plugged in?
If it does I suggest you contact Lake People and inquire if they will service a second hand unit. In parallel, talk to your local electronics guy and let him have a look at the amp.

I think Violectric potentiometers are custom made to Violectric.

If Lake People won't service the amp, ask them to buy the volume pot if your electronics guy is willing to replace it for you.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #79 of 123
Hi xaval,

yeah, I just got home and tried exactly what you suggested, unplugging all sources... I would say that this way, the background is silent, BUT, turning the volume pot makes occasional "pops"; not all the time, and not always at the same positions, but going from one extreme to another and back, I would get at least a couple of areas, about 3 notches each, where these pops occur.

I might report my findings to Fried and see what he says...

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #80 of 123
Post back your findings. I wish you a quick and happy solution with the dirty pot.

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #81 of 123
I'm planning to buy a V200 soon, wanted to ask if DAC is worth 200 Euros. I have a Xonar STX and I find it just good for my application, only problem I have to fence with is switching between my current OTL and the V200 when I get it, I don't trust RCA switchers so that's not an option. If the Vio DAC is decent, I can have my current setup as is and switch between the Vio on my PC, thanks!

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #82 of 123
hm, you can do definitely better for 200EUR, especially here in the classifieds (sometime there are 2nd hand v200/v181 for sale as well), look in the http://www.head-fi.org/f/7/dedicated-source-components thread, there is a lot about excellent cheap dacs

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #83 of 123
I just put up my V200 for sale (shameless plug, I know
cool.gif
)

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #84 of 123
  hm, you can do definitely better for 200EUR, especially here in the classifieds (sometime there are 2nd hand v200/v181 for sale as well), look in the http://www.head-fi.org/f/7/dedicated-source-components thread, there is a lot about excellent cheap dacs

Thanks, I wanted to ask another question - Do new V200s come with a voltage selector?
On Vio's site I have seen this on all their product manuals "This unit is provided with an internally settable mains supply for 115 / 230 V AC". I'm confused because old posts talk about soldering off something to get 230V or have they added a Voltage selector to the PCB on new models?
Thanks!

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #85 of 123
you should drop an email to violectric, the may have been some updates to the older models, the new ones v220/281 have an internal switch, i had an early version v200 and it did not have a switch but violectric was providing a pdf guide for some minor intervention that enabled switching

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #86 of 123
  you should drop an email to violectric, the may have been some updates to the older models, the new ones v220/281 have an internal switch, i had an early version v200 and it did not have a switch but violectric was providing a pdf guide for some minor intervention that enabled switching

Contacted Fried Reim, the V200 hasn't been updated with Voltage selectors. In Vio's line-up the only one's with the voltage selector are V90, V220 and V281 and the PPA V600 with a multi-mode (90 - 260 V) switch mode supply.

From where I'll be picking up the V200, it'll be 230V and I need 230V for my country so everything's good!

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #87 of 123
Anyone who uses HD800s--do you find an advantage using the -6dB pregain?  I think I also remember reading somewhere that it's OK to mix and match the pregain switches for different combos of pregain values.  

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #90 of 123
Just ordered a V200 based on the great reviews/feedback I've read about it. Excited!

Will be using it to listen to my HD650/MadDogs/D2000's, using a Mini-I Pro as DAC. Seems to pair great with everything I own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back