The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #5,417 of 5,790
I just acquired this wonderful amp and I love the sound. Unfortunately I am having trouble connecting the USB DAC to my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S20+).

I am using UAPP. It does seem to recognise the device but the sound still plays through the phone.

Any help would much appreciated!

I am also experiencing something strange with some iems/HPs when using my R2R DAC (connected to my phone via USB). When I push the volume all the way up on the phone, I get some persistent and quite disturbing static noise. I haven't experienced this with any other amp.
USB C cable?

I have the S22 Ultra and just tried and. It works without any problems.

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #5,424 of 5,790
I updated the firmware and things are looking rosier. Thanks everyone for the help.
the last firmware update of the taz is relatively old and i didn't think about that you may have still the stock firmware 1.0.0 on it :). indeed, they improved the usb connectivity with the firmware update.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #5,425 of 5,790
the last firmware update of the taz is relatively old and i didn't think about that you may have still the stock firmware 1.0.0 on it :). indeed, they improved the usb connectivity with the firmware update.

This thing sounds so good! One of the best synergies with my Diana (it can drive it but have to push the volume almost all the way up).

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #5,426 of 5,790
This thing sounds so good! One of the best synergies with my Diana (it can drive it but have to push the volume almost all the way up).
high or low gain?

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #5,428 of 5,790
I have also had the same problem with the new walkman. Won't play via streaming apps when plugged in the rear USB but works on the micro port on the side. The walkman native app works fine on all. I will check my firmware version and see if its still on the 1.0.0 version.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #5,429 of 5,790
Hi guys! Just got a second-hand Ta ZH1ES today and it sounds gorgeous! I noticed my firmware was stuck on 1.0.0.. I tried to update it on my Mac through the Sony Headphone Amplifier Updater app. The app can connect to the amp but once I hit the "update" button the software tells me it cannot write the new OS on the amp ("écriture impossible" in French). Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #5,430 of 5,790
Hi guys! Just got a second-hand Ta ZH1ES today and it sounds gorgeous! I noticed my firmware was stuck on 1.0.0.. I tried to update it on my Mac through the Sony Headphone Amplifier Updater app. The app can connect to the amp but once I hit the "update" button the software tells me it cannot write the new OS on the amp ("écriture impossible" in French). Can anyone help me? Thanks!
There’s been so much change in the back end software with MacOS in recent editions since this last firmware came out (2017) - it may be the case that the firmware update program no longer works on newer versions of MacOS. Do you have access to a Windows machine to try this from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back