The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Aug 31, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #5,296 of 5,783
Do you by any chance know what the acronym GaN stands for? No too much info about the device itself from what I can see. Any help is appreciated!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium_nitride

Infineon also uses GaN for some Digital Amps, but it is used in lots of things, especially in space equipment.

It switches faster than MOSFET, that means it has higher output power with lower distortion at the same time.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #5,297 of 5,783
Do you by any chance know what the acronym GaN stands for? No too much info about the device itself from what I can see. Any help is appreciated!
It’s used a lot in fast charging plugs that are USB-C

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #5,299 of 5,783
If I may ask, how was our ZEN Stream in your setup? Any good :wink: ?

I pretty much enjoy the Zen Stream: I use it for Roon as well as Q Play (DLNA). Pity the Chromecast feature has not been turned on yet. That would be a killer feature I suspect. :wink:

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #5,301 of 5,783
Enjoying a evening of music on the HD800 with Crystal Piccolino balanced cables off the TAZ. Love the synergy! :)

532B737E-311F-4637-B826-8120382BD476.jpeg

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #5,302 of 5,783
I pretty much enjoy the Zen Stream: I use it for Roon as well as Q Play (DLNA). Pity the Chromecast feature has not been turned on yet. That would be a killer feature I suspect. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback and I hear you re Chromecast. If we can add this feature, we will, but there are no news on the subject at the moment :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium_nitride

Infineon also uses GaN for some Digital Amps, but it is used in lots of things, especially in space equipment.

It switches faster than MOSFET, that means it has higher output power with lower distortion at the same time.

I suspected galilium-nitride transistors in the product, but needed some confirmation, so thanks :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 3, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #5,303 of 5,783
Giving the HD800S a run out with the TAZ on a sunny Saturday. :)

32E23E01-1A0D-45C9-96C8-0E597D1108A8.jpeg

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #5,304 of 5,783
The ES-R10 arrived yesterday. Gave it a good run out out on the TAZ. :Great synergy with the TAZ. Not surprising, considering the ES-R10 is an attempt to replicate the legendary MDR-R10. :)
9F7D2BDA-FC8F-40EE-A77D-86F0080064D8.jpeg

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #5,305 of 5,783
I think the only way you can check the fe version is to connect it to a pc and try to install the latest version. As I recall that shows what is currently installed
you can also hold the input button and press enter button 3 times, it will show the version number.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #5,306 of 5,783
I am pretty late to theTAZ party but also feel very fortunate to have one and enjoy using it. Even tho I have the 1AM2 walkman I still nearly always go to the TAZ for an at home session. I enjoy both products very much.
Possible to provide a brief comparison between the two sound quality wise please? Is the TAZ substantially better - detail/separation/natural etc?

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #5,307 of 5,783
Possible to provide a brief comparison between the two sound quality wise please? Is the TAZ substantially better - detail/separation/natural etc?
I am not very good at describing what I can hear, so sorry in advance. I have only had both of these units for a few months and came from my only listening device being a PHA-3 (which is now in the draw). From my experience the TAZ seems to be better in most areas but particularly in detail retrieval, everything seems more open, there seems to be more space between the different sounds. The TAZ also seems to control the lower frequencies better, seems tighter and has better extension. The differences are more apparent when I have been listening to the TAZ for extended periods (like over a week) then come back to the M2. All listening is mostly on the MDR-Z1R. Also, I think at this level of gear the differences are small to me and enjoy both devices alot. Younger/Better ears may find a bigger difference, as well as someone who has a lot of experience with criticle listeing. So in summary I can definitely hear benifits from the desktop amp but both are great units. Sorry again for not being overly descriptive, I find it quite hard to articulate what I hear.

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #5,308 of 5,783
I am not very good at describing what I can hear, so sorry in advance. I have only had both of these units for a few months and came from my only listening device being a PHA-3 (which is now in the draw). From my experience the TAZ seems to be better in most areas but particularly in detail retrieval, everything seems more open, there seems to be more space between the different sounds. The TAZ also seems to control the lower frequencies better, seems tighter and has better extension. The differences are more apparent when I have been listening to the TAZ for extended periods (like over a week) then come back to the M2. All listening is mostly on the MDR-Z1R. Also, I think at this level of gear the differences are small to me and enjoy both devices alot. Younger/Better ears may find a bigger difference, as well as someone who has a lot of experience with criticle listeing. So in summary I can definitely hear benifits from the desktop amp but both are great units. Sorry again for not being overly descriptive, I find it quite hard to articulate what I hear.
Nice job!

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #5,309 of 5,783

Yeah the TA-ZH1ES is the best audio purchase I've made. It is my precious... ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back