The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #5,221 of 5,784
I wanted to ask this question again as I recently got a new PC with Windows 11. I installed foobar and the official TA-ZH1ES Sony drivers but when going to install ASIO from the foobar add-on component page the comment said it may degrade the sound in certain scenarios.
Does that mean WASAPI is the way to go or these are no longer required?
I noticed when selecting either of the TA-ZH1ES output options in Foobar there was a difference in sound when switching, on my previous PC there was no noticeable difference between these options. These options were different from the Windows 10 options.
Excuse the poor pic.
I thought WASAPI was automatically installed now?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #5,222 of 5,784
I though WASAPI was automatically installed now?
Via Windows OS or Sony drivers? I'm not knowledgeable about these things and it was many years ago I last set up foobar on my old PC. I had both WASAPI and ASIO before but it looks like there was a warning about ASIO on the foobar component page? Should I just manually install WASAPI or is it already a part of the Windows 11 stock install?

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #5,223 of 5,784
I have a quick question to anyone that has recently bought an AQ Carbon cable for their TA. I just bought one, got delivered yesterday and have my suspicions regarding its authenticity. The AQ website shows the cable with carbon lettering both ends, mine is only on the USB C end. It aslo seems fairly light and the white lines on the cable are very faint and not how it looks in the picture. It came from a local dealer so I hoping its legit, paid a fortune for something I wasnt too sure about to begin with so if anyone has one it would be great to hear from you on how yours looks.

Attachments

• Carbon.PNG
    Carbon.PNG
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 23, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #5,224 of 5,784
Via Windows OS or Sony drivers? I'm not knowledgeable about these things and it was many years ago I last set up foobar on my old PC. I had both WASAPI and ASIO before but it looks like there was a warning about ASIO on the foobar component page? Should I just manually install WASAPI or is it already a part of the Windows 11 stock install?
When I started with Foobar2000 back about 12 years ago, I ran it without WASAPI. You had a choice and I didn’t know what WASAPI was. I noticed extreme timing issues in relation to CD playback with a standalone CD player. I don’t use Foobar2000 any longer, but as I understand.....it comes with WASAPI now? You should be fine with not installing WASAPI.

The Sony firmware is only concerned with the amplifier playback.
I have a quick question to anyone that has recently bought an AQ Carbon cable for their TA. I just bought one, got delivered yesterday and have my suspicions regarding its authenticity. The AQ website shows the cable with carbon lettering both ends, mine is only on the USB C end. It aslo seems fairly light and the white lines on the cable are very faint and not how it looks in the picture. It came from a local dealer so I hoping its legit, paid a fortune for something I wasnt too sure about to begin with so if anyone has one it would be great to hear from you on how yours looks.
My AQCarbon has totally different writing? I would ask AudioQuest if they changed the writing. Never is the Carbon word length-wise? Also “audioquest” is in 3D relief embossed across the lower end of the plug.

Edit:
After research it seems many of the plugs look like yours?

This is mine: someone else’s photos.
43AF41AB-AA72-44A3-BBC3-724E3566EB1A.jpeg
33D790D9-8E9E-4824-B218-09214239112D.jpeg

Edit:
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/04/23/audioquest-assortment-with-graig-neville-review/?amp

Here is a review of the AQCarbon that is exactly like mine, though it seems AudioQuest may have changed the look of the cable, as there are way too many versions like yours to be counterfeit?

21EC963B-4271-4939-881F-8205C5E2182B.jpeg

The actual cable above provided by the Director of Communications for AQ. Very small chance of it being fake.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephen-mejias-79b23b16a

I would contact AQ if you have worries.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #5,225 of 5,784
When I started with Foobar2000 back about 12 years ago, I ran it without WASAPI. You had a choice and I didn’t know what WASAPI was. I noticed extreme timing issues in relation to CD playback with a standalone CD player. I don’t use Foobar2000 any longer, but as I understand.....it comes with WASAPI now? You should be fine with not installing WASAPI.

The Sony firmware is only concerned with the amplifier playback.

My AQCarbon has totally different writing? I would ask AudioQuest if they changed the writing. Never is the Carbon word length-wise? Also “audioquest” is in 3D relief embossed across the lower end of the plug.

Edit:
After research it seems many of the plugs look like yours?

This is mine: someone else’s photos.

Edit:
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/04/23/audioquest-assortment-with-graig-neville-review/?amp

Here is a review of the AQCarbon that is exactly like mine, though it seems AudioQuest may have changed the look of the cable, as there are way too many versions like yours to be counterfeit?

The actual cable above provided by the Director of Communications for AQ. Very small chance of it being fake.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephen-mejias-79b23b16a

I would contact AQ if you have worries.
Ok thanks, how old is your cable? I did talk to AQ and the repsonse was that they are happy to inspect the cable at the factory but if they have doubts you agree that they destroy the cable with no refund. Mine is not braided like yours, it is much thinner and like a normal cable plastic. I will post some photos of my actual cable. I was going to ask the seller but they will always say its legit. Man I hope I didnt just blow $250 on a $3 cable!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #5,226 of 5,784
Ok thanks, how old is your cable? I did talk to AQ and the repsonse was that they are happy to inspect the cable at the factory but if they have doubts you agree that they destroy the cable with no refund. Mine is not braided like yours, it is much thinner and like a normal cable plastic. I will post some photos of my actual cable. I was going to ask the seller but they will always say its legit. Man I hope I didnt just blow $250 on a $3 cable!
Mine is from 2019. The thing is most of the cables on the internet look like yours? Maybe I have an earlier model? I would have actually suspected mine as being fake, but the cables given to the reviewer were identical to mine, so I have no question as to it’s authenticity. Funny that AQ wouldn’t just substantiate that they changed writing, as it would simply clear-up any confusion?

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #5,227 of 5,784
Mine is from 2019. The thing is most of the cables on the internet look like yours? Maybe I have an earlier model? I would have actually suspected mine as being fake, but the cables given to the reviewer were identical to mine, so I have no question as to it’s authenticity. Funny that AQ wouldn’t just substantiate that they changed writing, as it would simply clear-up any confusion?
Maybe its ok on a more thorough look, still not quite the same as the online pics. I hate the rip off fake stuff, I waited till I went to Japan on holidays to buy all my Sony Kimber Kables to help ensure they were not fakes. Anyway sorry this was a bit off topic, I did sneak a pic of the TA to make the post more relevant! And the whisky is helping the paranoia….

Attachments

• 14F7ACD4-AA93-4F9D-8502-E0EC9E4C8D20.jpeg
    14F7ACD4-AA93-4F9D-8502-E0EC9E4C8D20.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E2A82535-DBB1-4403-B677-C23736B2F5EA.jpeg
    E2A82535-DBB1-4403-B677-C23736B2F5EA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A7DD782F-A729-4B4E-9682-E3AB51883567.jpeg
    A7DD782F-A729-4B4E-9682-E3AB51883567.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #5,228 of 5,784
That looks authentic, I mean who would go to the trouble to emboss the AQ trademarks. But still I’m not familiar with the aq trademark? Sending simply those pictures to AudioQuest would be enough to prove it’s real. Funny though, I don’t see any weave in the sheathing?
Maybe its ok on a more thorough look, still not quite the same as the online pics. I hate to rip off fake stuff, I waited till I went to Japan on holidays to buy all my Sony Kimber Kables to help ensure they were not fakes. Anyway sorry this was a bit off topic, I did sneak a pic of the TA to make the post more relevant! And the whisky is helping the paranoia….

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #5,229 of 5,784
I'm using a generic but good quality (ugreen) $8 USB-C to B cable for listening with my LG V60 as source, and honestly, if there's a difference between that and listening via the WM1Z and Walkman port, I can't hear it. Taz is deliciously noise free it seems.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #5,230 of 5,784
That looks authentic, I mean who would go to the trouble to emboss the AQ trademarks. But still I’m not familiar with the aq trademark? Sending simply those pictures to AudioQuest would be enough to prove it’s real. Funny though, I don’t see any weave in the sheathing?
I think AQ may have changed at some stage to a less premium look and feel to the one I have now. At least thats what I can see from their website. Thanks for the help Redcarmoose. I think I will give up now and just enjoy the tunes.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #5,231 of 5,784
I'm using a generic but good quality (ugreen) $8 USB-C to B cable for listening with my LG V60 as source, and honestly, if there's a difference between that and listening via the WM1Z and Walkman port, I can't hear it. Taz is deliciously noise free it seems.
I agree I’ve done some back to backs with the AQCarbon used with a MacBook Air, vs the Cradle with the 1Z/1A, and at times I thought I heard a difference, then at other times not? Though I learned of this set-up from Whitigir, so I simply emulated his setup?

With the side Walkman port, the back (USB) gets one level of DSD resolution better. It’s only one DSD file frequency. Not that I ever use that. Still your comparing Apples and Oranges, and not even doing a comparison with what I’m talking about.

No AQCarbon USB?
No Cradle?
No Walkman?

So?

Do you see how your not really comparing?

Going with the AQCarbon from a 1A/1Z from the Cradle has at times proven itself to be remarkably better than any other file server quality to the TA? Obviously it could be psychological? But it all has to do with even if you buy into USB cord qualities affecting audio.

It seemed to be that only certain music would show differences? I of course could be totally wrong though?
I think AQ may have changed at some stage to a less premium look and feel to the one I have now. At least thats what I can see from their website. Thanks for the help Redcarmoose. I think I will give up now and just enjoy the tunes.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #5,232 of 5,784

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #5,233 of 5,784
I agree I’ve done some back to backs with the AQCarbon used with a MacBook Air, vs the Cradle with the 1Z/1A, and at times I thought I heard a difference, then at other times not? Though I learned of this set-up from Whitigir, so I simply emulated his setup?

With the side Walkman port, the back (USB) gets one level of DSD resolution better. It’s only one DSD file frequency. Not that I ever use that. Still your comparing Apples and Oranges, and not even doing a comparison with what I’m talking about.

No AQCarbon USB?
No Cradle?
No Walkman?

So?

Do you see how your not really comparing?

Going with the AQCarbon from a 1A/1Z from the Cradle has at times proven itself to be remarkably better than any other file server quality to the TA? Obviously it could be psychological? But it all has to do with even if you buy into USB cord qualities affecting audio.

It seemed to be that only certain music would show differences? I of course could be totally wrong though?

Cheers!
I guess for me I'm past the stage of obsessing over fractions of a percentage point of noise or other differences a cable makes. The Taz sounds so clean and clear, even compared directly to the more expensive WM1Z (which already sounds better to me than any other DAP I've used), that any difference a cable would make is so minuscule as to not even register. YMMV of course, but I think with the Sony Signature Series we're already at such an extremely high quality level, I'm not sure I could ever complain about SQ again.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #5,234 of 5,784
Yes! Well, it would maybe be more important if you had a single headphone and you thought you could hear a slight difference? Where with me I listen to many IEMs, so it’s a wash. But there was a time back in 2019 when I was making a run for single best quality with the MDR-Z1R. Of course perception is fickle and varies!

Though you have to have a level of “care” to even purchase the AQCarbon. Though some of it is like insurance, that you have done your best for sound quality.
I guess for me I'm past the stage of obsessing over fractions of a percentage point of noise or other differences a cable makes. The Taz sounds so clean and clear, even compared directly to the more expensive WM1Z (which already sounds better to me than any other DAP I've used), that any difference a cable would make is so minuscule as to not even register. YMMV of course, but I think with the Sony Signature Series we're already at such an extremely high quality level, I'm not sure I could ever complain about SQ again.
But I guess I’m that way too, in that after a certain point it’s fractions of percentages? The Sony base is really the foundation!

Though back when I purchased, it was like......let’s just see how far this stuff can go.

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #5,235 of 5,784
God..... Now I know who to blame when I find myself clicking the buy button on a TA-ZH1ES in the next couple of days.
@gLer @Kiats Yeah....
IMG00297_HDR_exported_1661334571608.jpg

First Pic of the full family, on a messy desk.
Gonna take better picture sometime in the future, but for now...
Is the Cradle really THAT necessary?
Still mostly using USB in from my PC as my main source, so not sure how I'd even equip the Cradle even if I have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back