The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 3, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #4,921 of 5,761
Input selections

TAZ perform best with USB PC (Type B in the back) as the Walkman on the side is limited at 192Khz/DSD256 which also internally running a generic cables toward the back.

Coax and Optical are both going to feed into the Sample rate converters by AKM, which is similar to (Not staying to the original wave forms and format)
@Lookout57 as written here.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #4,922 of 5,761
i am still learning from you all and the 2 scenarios i wrote were just out of curiosity and to check my understanding of the different combinations and influences.
Preamp is only used when the volumes need to be adjustable. For some equipments, the power amplifiers don’t have any volume adjustments, and therefore the preamp will need to be used. However, with many modern DAC, the Pre Out lines are adjustable and that the DAC itself is also considered a Preamp

Most of the use case scenario for Preamp is coming from vynil set up. The turn tables will go to a phono stages which provides a fixed output, and with power amplifier that has no volume attenuations, you will need a preamp inserted in the chain

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #4,923 of 5,761
Preamp is only used when the volumes need to be adjustable. For some equipments, the power amplifiers don’t have any volume adjustments, and therefore the preamp will need to be used. However, with many modern DAC, the Pre Out lines are adjustable and that the DAC itself is also considered a Preamp

Most of the use case scenario for Preamp is coming from vynil set up. The turn tables will go to a phono stages which provides a fixed output, and with power amplifier that has no volume attenuations, you will need a preamp inserted in the chain
this is what i learned from the videos as well. plus the impedance issue and the power such a large speakers needs.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #4,924 of 5,761
The PC-USB port supports higher resolutions than the Walkman port is the recommended port to use.
Thanks! I will use that for MacMini to the TAZ. Using a mobile phone is a temporary state of affairs until stocks of the FiiO BTA30 Pro comes in

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #4,925 of 5,761
Thanks! I will use that for MacMini to the TAZ. Using a mobile phone is a temporary state of affairs until stocks of the FiiO BTA30 Pro comes in
I just realised an alternative is to use the Spdif out of a iBasso DX300 into the TAZ. :)

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #4,927 of 5,761
What are you trying to accomplish?
Just having music streaming into the TAZ prior to getting my hands on a BT receiver like the FiiO BTA30 Pro. :)

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #4,928 of 5,761
Excellent news today. Since I was reminded about the incoming TAZ today when Sony Online sent me an email for a review of the TAZ, I pinged the Sony Online WhatsApp channel to ask about the progress of the shipment. It transpires that it will arrive in Singapore tomorrow and should be ready for delivery next week. :)
Do you mind sharing where you bought your TAZ. I am very interested but the TAZ is out of stock in SG.

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #4,929 of 5,761
Do you mind sharing where you bought your TAZ. I am very interested but the TAZ is out of stock in SG.
I actually fortuitously came across it on Sony Online Store where they had it listed for a slightly discount. But someone else checked and it is now out of stock again.

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #4,931 of 5,761
Just having music streaming into the TAZ prior to getting my hands on a BT receiver like the FiiO BTA30 Pro. :)
I'm looking to do the same. I have a Chomecast Audio on the way. I was going to go the BT route but figured lossless WiFi to spdif would be better quality than LDAC. I'll know soon enough.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #4,932 of 5,761
I'm looking to do the same. I have a Chomecast Audio on the way. I was going to go the BT route but figured lossless WiFi to spdif would be better quality than LDAC. I'll know soon enough.
Let us know how it goes. But iFi has a Zen Stream v2 if I recall correctly which can do streaming via wifi too. :)

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #4,933 of 5,761
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #4,934 of 5,761
Let us know how it goes. But iFi has a Zen Stream v2 if I recall correctly which can do streaming via wifi too. :)
Yes it does, but it's also a bigger, bulkier and more cumbersome solution. If the quality via CA matches what I expect from lossless Redbook streaming, I'll be over the moon. Will let you know as soon as I get it.

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #4,935 of 5,761
Yes it does, but it's also a bigger, bulkier and more cumbersome solution. If the quality via CA matches what I expect from lossless Redbook streaming, I'll be over the moon. Will let you know as soon as I get it.
I can understand. Which is why the FiiO BTA30 Pro is a more attractive option for me vs the iFi Zen Blue v2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back