The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #4,636 of 5,766
I sold it way early due to those uncontrollable blooms and soft haziness textures .... but I have been craving S-Master all along, holding out, hoping for better Walkman or S-master later......5 years later, and....I am here doing what I can sigh..
Sony has a latest of 1.03 as the firmware update. I’m thinking you never heard that update? Until now?

I mean to me the older software was darker, and blooming?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #4,638 of 5,766
That is true, but the newer firmware doesn’t really do all that much. Firmware is one thing and hardware is just another :)
But it did change it slightly. I remember when it must have been 2019 when MrWalkman firmware was just starting and I had the idea to check my firmware on the TA. Sure enough it was an earlier one, then I updated and it did make one of my headphones different. Just slightly different. It made it less dark.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #4,639 of 5,766
But it did change it slightly. I remember when it must have been 2019 when MrWalkman firmware was just starting and I had the idea to check my firmware on the TA. Sure enough it was an earlier one, then I updated and it did make one of my headphones different. Just slightly different. It made it less dark.
It really does, no question about it. Remember ? This S-Master is a discrete built, and the core processing is the FPGA. That makes the TAZ future proof, whether Sony continue supporting and developing firmware is another matter. Yes, I am familiar with Walkman firmware and their performances as well

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #4,640 of 5,766
I have both the DMP and TAZH1ES and the TA is very good but it has some flaws. Compared to other amplifiers or desktop DAC/Amp in my collections, the TA has softer sound with slightly bit too much bloom. It is also warmer than most amps and the midrange is a warmer and thicker sounding compared to my reference amps including the DMP. Another department that the TA falls a little short is the spatial cues. I still love the TA despite my criticism. Anyone want to sell one to me for around $1250?

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #4,642 of 5,766
I have both the DMP and TAZH1ES and the TA is very good but it has some flaws. Compared to other amplifiers or desktop DAC/Amp in my collections, the TA has softer sound with slightly bit too much bloom. It is also warmer than most amps and the midrange is a warmer and thicker sounding compared to my reference amps including the DMP. Another department that the TA falls a little short is the spatial cues. I still love the TA despite my criticism. Anyone want to sell one to me for around $1250?
No machine is perfect. But if it makes our ears happy, that’s what matters. I felt the TA matched up to the DMP pound for pound. But that doesn’t mean both are flawed. That’s just what my ears analyzed. Whatever anyone has, just love it and cherish it

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #4,644 of 5,766
The TA-ZH1ES isn’t really dark and silence in the background. The haziness can also be observed from upper mid and highs on fine textures.

So I took sometimes and applied noises absorbent sheets. This is used by the portable S-Master inside Walkman NW-WM1A/Z as well. However is not used here in the TAZ.

This is not quantum sheets
4B6B3C7C-ECF7-4547-827D-03D238C957FE.jpeg

But this is measured and proven by the Industry as pictured
DF770D8F-A5F0-4977-B0FD-044C3D011F11.jpeg

D59C06E7-EA27-471E-8EE8-AEEAE739CC92.jpeg

So, FPGA and Analog Devices chips are all a part of the discrete S-Master, together with amp out and pulses/clock generations, which are highly subjective to EMI noises and radiations from switching IC chips in close proximity.

I have chose to applied these absorbent sheets toward them to further improve the rejections of the noises susceptibility on these components.

The results is a more opened staging/imaging, and blacker background. Bass is also deeper with better textures

Also, can you spot Fine sound register (resistors) ?

3241F359-547C-4979-ACF6-2FA989BC4127.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #4,645 of 5,766
The final stage of my modifications is the sound tuning of course :). The output capacitors are through hole, which makes it a breeze to roll different capacitors in and try out before settling down for that direct solder.

Out of all of the capacitors that I have opted for, surprisingly the Kasei one is the best of the match. Yes, it is a lot larger than the Nichicon fine gold. But it does a much better job.

The improvements are stunning with Kasei series here in this application. Vastly improving the width of staging, much blacker back ground, textures is yet taken another step upgraded on it fidelity. Details are even more vivid with trebles extensions much smoother. Bass is still super deep but very well articulated, the blooming is also a lot more controlled

Simply put, Nichicon fine gold unleashed the S-Master blooms and ripples like nothing else out there, uncontrollable. Kasei here has tamed the beast, disciplined it, and transformed it into a super model :)

My final stage of modifications in my TA-ZH1EX
85D4C414-A461-4D38-9037-EF9183FF4BA4.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #4,646 of 5,766
Apr 25, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #4,647 of 5,766
From this article, I further confirmed that the best S-Master to listen to is the TA-ZH1ES… as of and at this moment.

https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:23244/fulltext01.pdf

The reason being is that it is Direct Pulse Drive generators, and with analog Amplifications together with Feedback just for the Pre-amp out, or Line out.

When paired with my Tube amplifier, usually I love Non feedback, but with TAZ as a source, I enjoy Feedback a lot more on my amplifier as well. Tonal balances is pretty amazing

AC92DA2B-7B21-4428-8B1B-8360A4593CD9.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #4,648 of 5,766
Cheers!
From this article, I further confirmed that the best S-Master to listen to is the TA-ZH1ES… as of and at this moment.

The reason being is that it is Direct Pulse Drive generators, and with analog Amplifications together with Feedback just for the Pre-amp out, or Line out.

When paired with my Tube amplifier, usually I love Non feedback, but with TAZ as a source, I enjoy Feedback a lot more on my amplifier as well. Tonal balances is pretty amazing

AC92DA2B-7B21-4428-8B1B-8360A4593CD9.jpeg

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #4,649 of 5,766
Just updated my quoted post with the article and it link :). Check it out, it is pretty good and help us understand more about S-Master
6461D48B-312B-4B9B-8F7C-38034D583947.jpeg
@Whitigir
This is a highly technical pdf on direct digital amplifiers(like the S-master HX?), I think this is something that you will enjoy reading:

https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:23244/fulltext01.pdf
thanks to @Sonywalkmanuser in this post. I finally found a technical explanations as into why I like pre-out a lot on TAZ

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/post-16932177

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #4,650 of 5,766
Even if the power output is not as crazy as people would expect it to be. I don’t find it to be underpowered anyways. The other great features about TAZ is the Pre-Out, or a True Line Out for S-Master.

I have posted about this previously, just pair it preout with external amplifier.

The TAZ is very sensitive to all things surrounding it.

Starting off is with The AC outlet. If your AC outlet is shared with other devices or appliances that could induce DC back into the AC lines, your TA will have a more muddying, and blooming signatures. If you have it up to a dedicated outlet which is directly customized from your wall to the Breaker panel, your TAZ will be at it best
377ED22C-5BFB-482B-AC9E-6F7446409C93.jpeg
Next up is the power cables. If you are using stock cables, you will also face similar degradations as the AC outlet. The performances will see improvements in better articulations, sharper textures or better fidelity, and better clarity overall. But this isn’t as impactful as the AC outlet.
93771EBA-07E4-43F1-A01F-B4685BC01BD8.jpeg
If you can’t have a dedicated outlet. Then you will be using Power Conditioner. This will also help your TAZ to get improved performances, but in comparison to the dedicated outlet, the TAZ will have a less blooming bass and faster roll off on the highs. Anyways, it is still much better than bad and contaminated AC outlets

Then USB cables: If you simply use generic and cheap usb cables, you will also not hearing the best that the TAZ can and do have to offers. I have compared between Solid Silver USB VS generic one, and the imagings, staging, layerings are all improved.
5B2555DC-4A8F-4ABE-8635-A3D4D68BCC7F.jpeg

Mostly will Be your Transport, or Host device, or PC/Streamer/DAP. I have compared different DAP as a digital transports. However, the best I am settling for is currently Cayin N8ii.
9235AF63-0395-4D75-9E22-B409DF4F35F1.jpeg
Finally. Everything do really effect your TAZ final performances. Those variations are more observable in PCM , and will be less observable with DSD-Remastering.

You may hear a “Myth” that, when your DAC and Amps are designed correctly, then nothing should have effected it. Let’s alone different cables or transports to greatly varied in performances. Well! The truth is that there is no perfection in the universe. So, engineerings have different ways to tackles with different situations and scenarios. Since nothing is perfect, the claims above is just a “Myth”.

One topology that would greatly allows the engineers to cheat out is Feedback VS Non feedback. It is similar to Non Over Sampling and Over Sampling. And since they are all cheating, they would have to opt for which to achieve and which to compromises.

With Feedbacks, the bandwidth and greater dynamic/resolutions can be achieved together with less distortions. It also render the system being less susceptible toward different changes surrounding it as mentioned above. However, it may sound “artificial” to some people, while some people would find it to be “HiFi” and desirable.

The same as NOS Vs OS, there are always different preferences.

Back to TAZ: the reason why everything will effect the TAZ is simply the whole system was designed to be Non Feedback . Sony is always aiming toward staying closest to the original signals, regardless of it being with some “errors”. It is such in a way that, naturally “errors” is still better than artificial enhancements kinda deal. Though Sony also using some engineering voodoo to allow the TAZ to be what it is.

Finally:

After observing the TAZ, it behavior’s, studying it designs, architecture and implementations. Eventhough Sony had built a great devices here, there are always room for improvements. Every massively produced products would always face these scenarios
B5695176-D294-4018-8D79-62724FD98E57.jpeg
1/ Project budget ceiling (a limit where it production cost can not exceed)

2/ Mechanical design limitations VS Electrical engineerings (a chassis is designed to be too big or too small before both teams can settle down)

3/ Profit and sustainability. This is pretty easy to understand, the larger the company, the more they would have to sustain.

4/ Easy of serviceability, for example, the main engineers won’t be the one to perform warranty on defected devices. It would be another team such as technical service teams. Because of this, the easier to service the devices is the better. We all know that electronic devices , they can just quit working mysteriously. One of the service ability I mentioned would be to design the devices such as Modulars, and that allows each module to be replaced entirely, easily. But the more connections, the more solder joins, is the more degradations, period.

Upgraded TAZ: Internal wires upgraded to Pure Solid Silver, and discrete Linear Voltage regulators! Since the system is Non Feedback, a much more superior in noise rejections, distortions, and transients response Linear Regulators will greatly benefit the system as a whole.

291E03B7-09C2-454F-984A-55E0F6DF4E99.jpeg
Great explanations thank you.
I was wondering what kind of specs for the power cable you built for the TA-ZH1ES? As i suppose you have tried different ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back