The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #3,856 of 5,766
Just picked up an 800S and does indeed sound fantastic with the Taz
]Photo Jul 10, 10 18 29 PM.jpg

These have been added to my "considerations" list.

This morning i've been listening to an old pair of Senn's 595 & i'm enjoying them. I'm begining to wonder if i'm coming to the conclusion that the Sony MDR-Z1R's are just too boomy & congested at times, whereas i wonder if Sennheiser's tend to be better balanced across the sound spectrum ??

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,857 of 5,766
This morning i've been listening to an old pair of Senn's 595 & i'm enjoying them. I'm begining to wonder if i'm coming to the conclusion that the Sony MDR-Z1R's are just too boomy & congested at times, whereas i wonder if Sennheiser's tend to be better balanced across the sound spectrum ??

You're noticing the difference between an open and a closed (well, kind of semi-closed) headphone :p

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #3,859 of 5,766
I had been thinking that....perhaps my choice of next headphone needs to be open ?? ( So i can cross off the Stellia's from my considerations list then ?? :thinking::relaxed: )
Focal Clear would be highly recommended if you like open cans

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #3,861 of 5,766
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, aware of the Clears, i am really starting to think to go with open headphones, even they will let noise in more ( & out. ) I'd have to say i' being strongly drawn to the Abyss Diana Phi ?
For closed back, I think the MDR-Z7M2 offers a good performance without going to energetic. You can hear all the detail but it's more relaxed in its nature vs the Clear

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #3,862 of 5,766
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, aware of the Clears, i am really starting to think to go with open headphones, even they will let noise in more ( & out. ) I'd have to say i' being strongly drawn to the Abyss Diana Phi ?
From a comfort pov this makes more sense for you than Utopias for example.If you think the sound signature is something you'd like you should go for it.But also light and in the same league are the Meze Empyrean.Not sure what else would make sense for you.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #3,863 of 5,766
weird question but is it possible to hook the pre-out of the zh1es to the TA-A1ES amp's line-in? im thinking of getting a speaker system but im wondering if another dac like the hap-z1es is necessary. and the quality of said configurations?

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #3,864 of 5,766
For closed back, I think the MDR-Z7M2 offers a good performance without going to energetic. You can hear all the detail but it's more relaxed in its nature vs the Clear

I have the Z1R's & i want to give another brand a try.

From a comfort pov this makes more sense for you than Utopias for example.If you think the sound signature is something you'd like you should go for it.But also light and in the same league are the Meze Empyrean.Not sure what else would make sense for you.

Utopia's were on the list. Haven't looked into Meze Empyrean in any real detail....in answer to your last statement....nor me ! :relaxed: I do think i will shock you ALL soon, though ! :relaxed:

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #3,865 of 5,766
I have the Z1R's & i want to give another brand a try.

Utopia's were on the list. Haven't looked into Meze Empyrean in any real detail....in answer to your last statement....nor me ! :relaxed: I do think i will shock you ALL soon, though ! :relaxed:
I have both the empys and z1r but as of now I prefer the z1r over all my cans. Simply stellar headphones and I absolutely love the sound signature.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #3,866 of 5,766
weird question but is it possible to hook the pre-out of the zh1es to the TA-A1ES amp's line-in? im thinking of getting a speaker system but im wondering if another dac like the hap-z1es is necessary. and the quality of said configurations?

The TA is used as a preamp in many high quality speaker systems. There is a choice of line out or attenuated RCA output to a power amp.

I don’t do it but it’s reported as first rate. Though keep in mind using the TA DAC is this use is preferred than adding an analog RCA input.

Though with your amplifier I would guess going line out would be the way. Now in essence your simply using the TA as a DAC. But for power-amp users they are using the TA as an attenuated pre-amp.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #3,867 of 5,766

Don't know if this helps, but i have my Sony HAP-S1 hooked up to my TA for speaker listening & it's most impressive !

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #3,868 of 5,766
I have both the empys and z1r but as of now I prefer the z1r over all my cans. Simply stellar headphones and I absolutely love the sound signature.
Have to agree.Can't say i've heard all the competition but since my use case is closed headphones i'd much rather get a better dac/amp (Dave) for the Z1R's and keep them rather than get some other headphones to use with the TA.
Your opinion is pretty good validation :p

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #3,869 of 5,766
Have to agree.Can't say i've heard all the competition but since my use case is closed headphones i'd much rather get a better dac/amp (Dave) for the Z1R's and keep them rather than get some other headphones to use with the TA.
Your opinion is pretty good validation :p
I have bryston gear which is my end game dac and amp so I'm set.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #3,870 of 5,766
The TA is used as a preamp in many high quality speaker systems. There is a choice of line out or attenuated RCA output to a power amp.

I don’t do it but it’s reported as first rate. Though keep in mind using the TA DAC is this use is preferred than adding an analog RCA input.

Though with your amplifier I would guess going line out would be the way. Now in essence your simply using the TA as a DAC. But for power-amp users they are using the TA as an attenuated pre-amp.
yes, that was what i'm thinking of, using the TA as a dac. but the a1es is an integrated amp so I would essentially have two preamps in my chain. it's certainly a combo I've never done before. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back