The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Mar 15, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,237 of 5,796
If you want a bright amp... checkout the Hugo2's onboard amp. That is bright. And I think you might appreciate the darkness of the TA after listening to it, haha.

TA is perfect now. It’s always been the best synergy with the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R. But now it’s a hair better with everything to my ears. I actually used to prefer the 1Z more, but the TA now has taken 1st place. I do have brighter equipment, but I’m not looking for bright so to speak. What I’m looking for IS the TA! That’s what’s so cool finally!

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2,239 of 5,796
I've recently bought a ta-zh1es,and couldn't be happier.I come from a Chord system.I much prefer the Sony in every way.I'm very much a believer in aftermarket cables and power supplies,etc.. I have a Audioquest NRG -Y3 mains cable with a Audioquest Carbon usb cable.I've recently bought one of these https://www.isoteksystems.com/product/discovery/evo3-polaris/
The difference in everything,SQ,volume,detail,and oddly,bass,is astonishing! Worth every,penny,cent,centimo.Truly,a must have!

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #2,240 of 5,796
Congratulations.
Do you know what firmware your on?

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #2,241 of 5,796
Congratulations.
Do you know what firmware your on?
Haven't a clue.The ta was easy enough to set up.I've got to grips with the basics,and am really enjoying what I'm hearing.The Isotek unit arrived on Friday,and I've had a big smile on my face ever since! In the UK,the unit sells for £395.There's a Gemini version,as the name would suggest,a two socket set up,for £295. I'm using a MacBook as source,with CDs ripped to WAV enabling Error Correction.I have a brand new Sony NW1a,with a 256gb card,I plan to use as a future source.The problem is,with the current CV19 crisis,there are more important considerations.I say this,only because I'm not so young,and my son who does understand these things,is in lockdown in his apartment in Granada Spain!.I'll do what I usually do,bumble along.Stay healthy!

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,242 of 5,796
Haven't a clue.The ta was easy enough to set up.I've got to grips with the basics,and am really enjoying what I'm hearing.The Isotek unit arrived on Friday,and I've had a big smile on my face ever since! In the UK,the unit sells for £395.There's a Gemini version,as the name would suggest,a two socket set up,for £295. I'm using a MacBook as source,with CDs ripped to WAV enabling Error Correction.I have a brand new Sony NW1a,with a 256gb card,I plan to use as a future source.The problem is,with the current CV19 crisis,there are more important considerations.I say this,only because I'm not so young,and my son who does understand these things,is in lockdown in his apartment in Granada Spain!.I'll do what I usually do,bumble along.Stay healthy!

The only reason I say this is I had the TA for about a year and one half and loved it but also always thought it would sound better if it was slightly less dark. I later became curious to find out Sony has been updating the firmware. Right now if you go to Sony links you have access to firmware 1.00 and 1.03.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/headphones-headphone-amplifiers/ta-zh1es/downloads

They offer downloads for Mac and PC, though I’ve only used the PC download. You simply plug the TA into your computer and go to the Sony site and it will let you update the firmware. Also when you do start using your 1A as a file server you can simply hook-up to the TA side connection with the TA included Walkman cable. Later you may also want the Walkman Cradle which will do active USB filtering along with the AQCarbon USB cable you already have. Cheers.

Though a word of caution, Sony does not always offer roll back software so if your TA is in fact on 1.02 or 1.01, you may not be able to roll back to those after updating to 1.03.

Also of course you may be totally happy not knowing what firmware you use and enjoy the TA just the way it is. The only reason I became interested in different firmware was they actually do change the sound of the Walkmans. 1.03 sounds slightly less warm, but still very smooth and detailed.

Enjoy!

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #2,243 of 5,796

Cradle
https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-NW-ZX2-Japan/dp/B00S94R5RK
3A4D9AC7-B9A3-4809-B219-5938B0DA7AFA.jpeg

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #2,245 of 5,796
The only reason I say this is I had the TA for about a year and one half and loved it but also always thought it would sound better if it was slightly less dark. I later became curious to find out Sony has been updating the firmware. Right now if you go to Sony links you have access to firmware 1.00 and 1.03.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/headphones-headphone-amplifiers/ta-zh1es/downloads

They offer downloads for Mac and PC, though I’ve only used the PC download. You simply plug the TA into your computer and go to the Sony site and it will let you update the firmware. Also when you do start using your 1A as a file server you can simply hook-up to the TA side connection with the TA included Walkman cable. Later you may also want the Walkman Cradle which will do active USB filtering along with the AQCarbon USB cable you already have. Cheers.

Though a word of caution, Sony does not always offer roll back software so if your TA is in fact on 1.02 or 1.01, you may not be able to roll back to those after updating to 1.03.

Also of course you may be totally happy not knowing what firmware you use and enjoy the TA just the way it is. The only reason I became interested in different firmware was they actually do change the sound of the Walkmans. 1.03 sounds slightly less warm, but still very smooth and detailed.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I've read your very helpful observations on the various firmware updates for the TA and NW series.The TA is certainly quite warm,especially coming from Chord DACs.I have to be careful.I do favour a more romantic sound,as opposed to reference.John Darko did a comparison review between Campfire Andromeda and Polaris2.He described the Andromeda as being for truth seekers,and the Polaris2 for pleasure seekers.I have a pair of Polaris2,and I'm definitely in the pleasure seeker camp.I thought it was quite a neat way of summing up
the differences.I also have tinnitus.My hearing is fine ,just sensitive to spiky treble or sibilance.I have a pair of Campfire Atlas,which I'm having fit issues with.A pair of Custom Art molds
will be arriving soon.How the Atlas pair with the TA, and whichever firmware is in place at present, will be the acid test for the future.
I really appreciate you taking the time to advise.Thanks again!

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #2,246 of 5,796
Does anyone own a HD650 and tried pairing it with the TAZH1ES? Wondering if it pairs well with it?
I had a pair of 650s recabled with a Forza copper series cable.I used them with a Chord 2Qute.I found the combination quite dull to be honest.The TA is quite a bit darker/warmer than the Chord,so I can't imagine it would be a good pairing.The 650s with a hybrid copper/silver cable would be better,or the 660s,from what I have read,could be good with the TA.Everyone's hearing is different though.Good luck!

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2,248 of 5,796
Does anyone own a HD650 and tried pairing it with the TAZH1ES? Wondering if it pairs well with it?

I have a HD600 and it sounds great. You're not going to have a problem.

I definately prefer the DAC on my Hugo2. It's a really amazing dac. Obviously the TA has a nicer amp, warmer. It has also has a pretty great DAC as well IMO, right up there, but definately focused on a smoother type of sound than the Hugo. It's nice to have both options. I do think the TA takes the edge off the Hugo2 tho.

There are people that say that there are better amps out there as well, like Rupert Neve's headphone amp. And there are really expensive tube amps out there. So.... there's really no one size fits all in dacs or amps, it's just what works for you. It's always good to have options.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #2,249 of 5,796
Hi,

I wonder if anyone is able to help me. I visited the Sony site to download 1.0.3 for Mac and followed the instructions. My Sony showed as connected and then I pressed the update button. It first said erasing, then writing, then failed to update. Now I can't find my Sony on my computer or in JRiver to connect. Basically I am now unable to use the Sony.

Any suggestions please?

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,250 of 5,796
Hi,

I wonder if anyone is able to help me. I visited the Sony site to download 1.0.3 for Mac and followed the instructions. My Sony showed as connected and then I pressed the update button. It first said erasing, then writing, then failed to update. Now I can't find my Sony on my computer or in JRiver to connect. Basically I am now unable to use the Sony.

Any suggestions please?
Is the TA functional?

I would unplug and plug the TA back into your computer to see if it reappears. Otherwise reboot your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back